Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That one will be a project. In photo 4 there is a piece of floor tile missing and under it looks like wet wood. Farther back will be the totally rotten floor and rotten frame below. It will be a project so buy it with that in mind. I don't think you have a ready to camp in trailer.

Open the rear storage compartment and see what the frame crossmember looks like.

Perry

That spot on the floor sags. I didn't expect a ready to go camper but I don't want to be in it for a year fixing it either. I have done a house bathroom in a weekend but I am not a welder and can't fix frame damage. We aren't talking 2x10's. I expected to take the bathroom out and replace subfloor...not frame. I will look at the storage compartment you mentioned. It is an hour away though.

Even with all this mentioned at under $4k is it a bad deal from what you can see???
ibskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What you propose turns into a real project. I paid $5000 for my 81 and it was not in real bad shape other than being dirty and the floor in the rear was rotted out and some minor frame damage. I have over $10,000 into it now. It needed new tires, brakes, AC, Bathroom vent fan, plumbing issues, battery boxes, leaks leaks leaks, last 4ft of floor replaced, POR15 paint, furnance repair, antenna repair, vent repair, lights, toilet fixed, replaced. Now add ten years to that. I have been working on mine for over a year. This is just the short list.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
wish I cuold tear it apart BEFORE I pay for it.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Open that rear comparment and I bet that rear crossmember is gone.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
Airstream Fanatic

1976 31' Sovereign
1959 17' Pacer
1965 26' Overlander
Bismarck , North Dakota
What you are attempting to do can be done but I would also add a tale of caution before you buy. Read through the history of the Albatross and see the time it took to get it "mostly" done and the money. Without a few final things like awnings and television or stereo, we are well into $22,000 and that is just parts. The near three years it took of intensive work was way more than what we thought it would take. Good luck with your decision.
Sandy
ND10CentCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
refitting to live in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibskot View Post
We have found a 72 31ft AS we want to buy. Bathroom is in the rear and there are a few things that need attention. Before I go look at it again, are there any specific items to disqualify it? We want to live it for maybe a year while I build a micro house. Of course that year could turn into 2. We'd be putting it on land with a well and septic and power already there. I'd be borrowing a friends Cummins to get it. Tires under 2 yrs old or there abouts. A/c was recently "gone through" according to current owner and it does work. One small dent. We'd put in a small marine stove for heating and be parked under a carport for summer shade. Anyway, when I go next time with cash in pocket, are there a few things specific I could look for that would make this trailer no good? I hope this is in the right forum. I can't get it to show up in "new threads".

thanks for the assistance.
The marine stove is definately out for heating, a stove is for cooking not heating, running anything that eats oxygen is not good. Doesn't sound like you are intending to restore a trailer and pull it across the U S so if it doesn't leak and all systems work then it may be a deal. Now if you find it filled with rats, snakes, or aardvarks that would be a deal breaker .
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
A friend put $8000 into buying a white box trailer that will be worth $3000 in 5 years, an Airstream just keeps getting better and better if refurbished right and you'll usually get your money back out if you sell it.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND10CentCan View Post
What you are attempting to do can be done but I would also add a tale of caution before you buy. Read through the history of the Albatross and see the time it took to get it "mostly" done and the money. Without a few final things like awnings and television or stereo, we are well into $22,000 and that is just parts. The near three years it took of intensive work was way more than what we thought it would take. Good luck with your decision.
Sandy

Wow. I looked through one of your threads. Wow. That's my fear. I don't have the time nor the money....but it's the hope that keeps Las Vegas rich. People keep trying. Not saying I will but the draw is strong. I just don't want to step into quick sand.

thank you for your insight.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
Doesn't sound like you are intending to restore a trailer and pull it across the U S .
Weeeeellll, we had thought of it after the house is built. We'd love to take our son on some of the types of road trips we took the 10 years before we had him. Yellowstone, Cali, Lake Meade, Grand Canyon, etc. Granted the idea of pulling ANYTHING that far from NC is scary to me. Heck, I don't even really want to drive that far period.

Ya'll are making me more and more detached from this thing.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
an Airstream just keeps getting better and better if refurbished right and you'll usually get your money back out if you sell it.
Then there is this logical statement. Heck, I could sell it for scrap close to the asking price.

But then there is the man (me) hours (time I don't have).

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
the calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibskot View Post
Then there is this logical statement. Heck, I could sell it for scrap close to the asking price.

But then there is the man (me) hours (time I don't have).

For $4000 if you like what you see you may need to add $3000 to replace the stuff to make it 100% to live in but I have seen folks get one, strip the interior and use it sans anything camping (aka tent) at a campground, depends on your adventureous side. I struck out for Naples Florida over 1200 miles sight unseen for mine and have loved it ever since (sad to let it go).
You'll find time to tinker, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
locust , North Carolina
the decision

Well, thanks all for the help. I decided to let it go. We will patiently keep our eyes open but I am surely convinced that this one is not the way to go. Waaaaaay too many variables for my comfort zone.

thanks for the guidance.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
I agree that you really seem to like the idea of an Airstream particularly. If your budget can handle it, why not look at a slightly newer vintage that needs less repair? This might cost less totally than fixing an older one, and it will certainly suck less of your time.
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
Good decision, ibskot. There's another one out there that's just waiting for you.

From a financial and time standpoint, pay the bucks upfront for the trailer that you want to own. You will spend much more time and money fixing it up than the expense to buy a trailer in good condition.

Then your time and money will be devoted to keeping it from deteriorating. Doesn't usually happen overnight, unless a limb falls out of a tree, but a little leak you barely notice because you're not camping in rainstorms will result in a rotted floor in barely a year or two. Preventive Maintenance, and careful observation. AS uses lots of pressed wood and steel - both are very susceptible to water damage. jim
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote