Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Airstream Wannabe's

We are on the cusp of selling our home and Airstreaming fulltime but we are having a difficult time making such a big commitment. So we are hoping to get input from Airstream owners on what was the critical factor or factors that finalized their decision to RV with an Airstream.

A little about where we are coming from in our lives. We are retired, my wife just became a senior citizen, I’m seventy and we have no RV experience unless going to a couple of RV shows count.

There are several other ingredients in our stew that are muddling up our thinking including elderly parents that live very close to us, kids and grandkids that live in a nearby town and last but not least friends. I’m retired military so we never lived in one place, until now, long enough to have friends outside of the military. We have been in our home for sixteen years and now have close friends we know we would miss.

Many thanks
Takinachance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome, easy decision for me. An Airstream is the only travel trailer I have ever wanted.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Have you considered keeping the house & buying a used AS and doing some travel to se how you like it? That will give the best of both worlds - a home base & an AS. You can still stay close with family & friends while camping when you feel like it.

Happy Trails,
Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
I think it really comes down to how much you value your present situation with an established home location along with established friends - those are both very good reasons to stay put. However, if you think you may want to change it up for new adventures, enjoy the very good likelihood of making new friends on the road, and living in such a way that your tomorrow's script is unwritten, then you should jump while you have your health. It really is about choosing between the status quo and an open ended way of life.

I think you are in a very fortunate position to be able to make such a decision. Good luck and let us all know!

(P.S. My wife and I jumped.)
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
Have you considered keeping the house & buying a used AS and doing some travel to se how you like it? That will give the best of both worlds - a home base & an AS. You can still stay close with family & friends while camping when you feel like it.

Happy Trails,
Jane
Ditto.

You articulate a number of good reasons for not going out on the road full time just now.

Be thoughtful, and pay attention to those nagging inner voices and feelings.

Maggie
Old 09-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Your must first decide if you want to fulltime or not. That is a big decision. If you decide to fulltime then the next decision is in what type of RV will you fulltime in. Only about 1.5% of fulltimers are in an Airstream. Approximately 45% are in motorhomes, 45% in fifth wheels with the remaining 10% being in all others (travel trailers, slide-in truck campers, etc.)

If you are seriously considering fulltiming, read the Escapees forum. The Escapees organization was founded by fulltimers to support fulltimers. You don't need to be a member to read or join the forum.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome to the forum. You and your wife have many hours of discussions ahead of you. First of all, both of you have to be 100% in agreement about your full-time plans. That means you both need to agree on your general travel plans (are you going to move all around the country, stay in the northwest, snowbird, etc.) although details may still need to be worked out.

Second, you will have to decide on the type of RV you need. Generally, those who tend to move frequently (at least monthly) choose a motorized coach, while those who tend to stay parked longer tend to choose a towable. Other factors may enter into your decision, though, so those aren't rock-solid requirements, just based on general practice. The reason is that a motorized coach needs to be driven in order to keep gaskets, seals, etc. in shape. Just idling the engine doesn't really do much for the engine, and nothing for the transmission. That's why people with motor homes will go for a drive at least once a month (good excuse to go camping). A trailer is less susceptible to such problems, and to tow vehicle will be going all over anyway.

Assuming that a towable meets your needs, you have the choice of either a travel trailer or a fifth wheel (aka 5'er). A travel trailer is generally lighter and not as tall as a 5'er. The 5'er will have more exterior storage space, and more weight-carrying capacity, but at the cost of an overall heavier coach. A 5'er also will have more steps to climb than almost anything else.

No matter what you choose, go with a USED, high-end coach. Any new RV will have a pretty steep depreciation at first, and most people don't get the right coach the first time. Unless you are really wealthy, let others take the depreciation hit as you learn. Once you really know what you want and need you can then decide whether to buy a brand-new coach or not. Either way, though, you will have more money in the bank by buying used for the first few coaches.

Join the owner forums for any brands that you consider. Ask lots of questions there. Owners know that someone who buys their brand and doesn't like it is NOT a good advertisement for their brand. If an Airstream isn't the best choice for you, based on what you tell us here, we really don't want you to buy one and then be unhappy. You will be much happier if you get the right coach. Do your research and ask lots of questions.

Don't be put off by owners asking questions about problems with their coaches. ALL brands have problems because they are made by people, and people make mistakes. Also, each brand will have certain areas that historically are problem areas. Find out what those areas are for each brand you consider, and then find out how those issues are addressed.

Take your time, ask questions, and discuss your findings with your wife. The decision to go full-time is not one to make quickly.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takinachance View Post
We are on the cusp of selling our home and Airstreaming fulltime but we are having a difficult time making such a big commitment. So we are hoping to get input from Airstream owners on what was the critical factor or factors that finalized their decision to RV with an Airstream.

A little about where we are coming from in our lives. We are retired, my wife just became a senior citizen, I’m seventy and we have no RV experience unless going to a couple of RV shows count.

There are several other ingredients in our stew that are muddling up our thinking including elderly parents that live very close to us, kids and grandkids that live in a nearby town and last but not least friends. I’m retired military so we never lived in one place, until now, long enough to have friends outside of the military. We have been in our home for sixteen years and now have close friends we know we would miss.

Many thanks
Better muster up..

Us... Married 40 years, 28 years same address, same lovely Bride... and getting better. (ok, that's true), 3 sons, 3 Daughter in laws, 5 grandkritters... all plan to live in Waxahachie, TX. (we are in Round Rock..just North of Austin.)

So, here we go ... Our home is 'sold'.. just waiting for close. We will be 'homeless'... truly FULLTIMING!! Sorta..... at least until the new place works out.

We have decided to move to an Airstream community, NTAC, in Hillsboro, 30 miles to family in Waxahachie.... We will then have travel opportunities while also having a FBO (Fixed Base of Operation).. (the Airstream is mobile FOB =). With our decision, we will be close enough to family and NTAC is a great fit for us. YMMV.

If you look around, you can make the decisions best for you..If your kids have enough 'yard', you could have a LZ when things get fuzzy. You could travel till tired and return when needing break to remind you why you bought your AS.. =) You could move to NTAC... close enough to get to DFW or a good airport if you need to get to family quicker.. or if bad WX is not safe.

I have a friend who's Father In Law parked his TT by their home, set up facilities, and he stayed there because he could no longer drive.. He is close to family for proximity and peace of mind for them.. but for a while he also full timed..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Thank you for your very insightful response. "It really is about choosing between the status quo and an open ended way of life." Your sentence is definitely the crux of the matter, now only if the choice was that clear. Again, thanks.
Takinachance is offline   Reply With Quote