Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
We're 14 months full time in our 30' International Serenity. We also debated on 27 or 28. In the end, larger tanks for boondocking and counter space won.

We also had more roof space for solar panels (AM Solar - Lew). We have awnings all around and upgraded the tires and wheels.

Chuck
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Well... I too was looking at the 25 but ended up getting a older 30 ft... and am glad I did... while I had to go through all the systems...appliances... I still saved money...

As to 25 vs 30.. I found that the hitch weight on the 30 was less... due to it being a better balanced trailer... where as the 25 carries a lot of weight forward... due to the placement of the interior...

I found that the trailer weight difference was just a few hundred lbs... more.. for the 30.. but in towing.. once under way on the flatlands... couldn't tel a difference... except I thought it had less sway when truck passing... both seem to almost have the same distance from the hitch to the wheel trucks...

As to size.. 30 ft today is small... wait till you pull into a campground and your the smallest trailer in the joint... I always thought it was big .. but today... nada... As to camp grounds... seems they have noticed that people are wheeling larger lengths these days and are taking care of the problem by extending the spots... We only had a couple of times that we were told...no your too big.. but it wasn't the spot.. it was the access road to the spot that was the problem... yep some trees need to go.. as they showed signs of where MH and others had rub'd 'em barkless... (grin)

About the only other issue we have is getting into and out of gas stations... yep your long... and take up the whole side... unless they provide a RV refueling station... or truck stop... which is what we look for now.. but I still shop for the cheapest price...and normal gastations work for us.. just watch the enterance and exit... and the idiots who block you in... take your time...

As to space... ahhhh now even though we don't use all the space inside the 30.. its nice to know we have it if we need it... tucking things out of the way helps a lot.. but the older 30s have a great big living room... that you can have 4 adults eating in.. or playing cards. etc... nice to strech out.. and not be so contained...

As to full time'n... the new AS ARE NOT... and airstream quietly says that they are camping trailers.. where as the older ones were being used for full timing... Some of the new ones... others have reported.. don't even have insulation in the floor area anymore... and when cold.. get cold and use a LOT of propane... in the summer they get hotter.. and the AC works overtime to try and keep it cool... So best check out the full time'n adventure with a AS.... things changed in the factory... a while ago...

my advise... go with the biggest trailer you like... me I'll stick with the 30 ft... as I got used to the extra space.. and no footprints across the ceiling... if you have to stay in it... due to wx...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
MY 30' International Serenity also has a nice pullout pantry, not sure if the 27 is larger?
You mention the views from the bedroom without wardrobes. Do you really sleep with your curtains open? We rarely have our curtains open in our bedroom. We looked long and hard at the 27', 28' and the 30' and went with the 30 footer - more storage, larger fridge, larger fresh water tank, more living space and I believe more kitchen counter space. I believe the hallway closet is larger as well.
I sometimes wish we went with the twin option, more space for changing clothes etc, but you lose storage space inside and can't cuddle any more.
Yes, it is 3' longer, which might eliminate some camping spots and like anything else, you just need more practice in backing up that big trailer.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have a 25 rear bed twin FC and we love sleeping with the curtains open!

Windows open/curtains open is the best! All that fresh air.

Occasionally a campground light may cause a shade to be pulled. Otherwise we do like the open-ness. In Dubois WY we had the Wind River right outside our bedroom at the KOA.

As to the poster trying to decide between options, I would recommend getting the interior space you like the best for views, comfort, and storage. Either option is a good one, so get what you LIKE the best.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
We've recently been going through the same process between a Serenity 25 vs 27. We are going with the 27.

We are long time sailors and there is something called 2 footitis. If only the boat was two feet bigger! A lot of boats get sold because of this condition.

My advice, if you can't decide between the two, go with the bigger.

We are outdoor people. The 27 is (we believe) perfect for us.

The ease of moving around the queen bed decided it for us compared to the 25. Queen.

If there is a feature on the 30 you prefer, then that seems the way to go. Not much more money of weight....
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:04 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Here's another couple who have down sized from a FC 30 to a 25. They have gotten the 25, and the 30 is for sale.

http://www.themoreweexplore.com/
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:08 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
De Pere , Wisconsin
We recently bought a 2010 FC30. I need recliners and ours came with them. So to find a recliner version was awesome for us.

The 30 footers are really just an average to smallish rv in the overall scheme of the rv world but "big" in the Airstream community. One thing that never gets mentioned that I see is that the cargo capacity goes way up on the 30's by 600+ pounds, and seeing as we are snowbirds that extra capacity is critical - fulltiming I can only guess would make that extra capacity all the more desirable.

We like having at least electric and hopefully water and that usually equates to sites that have enough space for a 30 foot trailer if not a 40 footer. Someone mentioned that once you are out there a 30 footer could be one of the smallest rigs in a campground and I would totally agree.

The difference in how many sites you can get into and the few moments of slightly tighter manuvering vs the time actually spent in the trailer living I feel should influence your choice. I would rather be comfortable all the time when I am parked and living than those literally few moments when the extra length is a hassle.

I personally can't think of anybody I know who has downsized in any type of rv unless they are going to be rving less.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Get a 30' Flying 'Cloud'.
Comfortable, lots of storage, large fridge, large pantry, large wardrobe.
Nice dinette.
Not much more weight to tow.
For us two: Perfect!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #29
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Boy - a lot of votes for the 30' option
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Boy - a lot of votes for the 30' option
But the biggest seller is the 25's, smallest of the large Airstreams, available FB or RB. We traveled throughout the country many times and camped 1400 nights in our ours. Customized it for long-term comfort, reliability, and stable towing, it was a perfect combination of camping and towing simplicity, easily towable by a variety of SUV's and pickups.

We purchased a second home in the Southwest and sold the 25 this year. Will down-size to a Basecamp (or similar) for simpler, more extensive travel as we move about the country, taking the long way between our summer and winter digs.

I think most of us make to much of size and luxury in these things and lose sight of the thing Airstreams are best at. Travel.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:32 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Sometime , Alabama
Y'all Are So Helpful

Thanks for the many replies to my post.

I'll admit that most replies have me leaning to the 30'.

We have studied 25s, 27s, 28s and 30s...both floor plan diagrams and sitting in new models on the sales lot.

Was kind of hoping that we would lean to the 27, but the 30' support in this thread has been strong.

Now...the discussion about the 28 twin with extra storage on the outside is intriguing. We have discussed the twin floor plans, but keep going back to the queen plans. We might need to revisit the twin options.

Thanks Again Everyone!
bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:12 AM   #32
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I chose the twin for more storage and more dressing room and much easier to make up the bed.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:40 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Part of the convenience of the twin is the aisle space for dressing.

As you compare I suggest really exploring the privacy and space differences when showering and dressing, especially when using the pull across accordion partitions. You may like one arrangement over the others. Pay attention to where your clothes will be stored, and how much space there is to towel off and dress with the different options.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
Thanks for the many replies to my post.

I'll admit that most replies have me leaning to the 30'.

We have studied 25s, 27s, 28s and 30s...both floor plan diagrams and sitting in new models on the sales lot.

Was kind of hoping that we would lean to the 27, but the 30' support in this thread has been strong.

Now...the discussion about the 28 twin with extra storage on the outside is intriguing. We have discussed the twin floor plans, but keep going back to the queen plans. We might need to revisit the twin options.

Thanks Again Everyone!
Just walk around a twin model and you will see 3-4 nice size storage bins, depending on front or rear bed. The 27', 28' and 30' models have a lot more storage outside in a twin. As others attest; more space inside and storage outside. And, more sleeping space...each twin is 34" wide (X2=68" wide sleeping area) A queen is only 60" wide. The decision is up to you, grasshopper!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We liked everything about the twin bed option except the sleeping arrangement, so we are stuck with a queen bed (and Sleep Number mattress).

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Gwinn , Michigan
Every choice is a trade-off

My significant other and I went through this and agonized over the decision. We chose the 2017 International Serenity 27 FB. For two people it is perfect. We have solar and a generator (which we've never used) Water, with careful use, lasts 4 days. Could last longer if you don't cook as much as I do. This is a very personal decision as to what you will do in your trailer and what is most important to you.
1. National Parks are tight. Went to Yellowstone this year and Fishing Bridge could barely accommodate the 28 ft we have. We had to switch spots because we couldn't open the awning. Sites are awful anyway, no picnic table, very close proximity. If you want a better campground, our 28 ft was too big for most of them. Other national parks have some better options for larger trailers.Barely found a space to fit in the Tetons. Saw monster motor homes squeezed into spaces like a fat lady in spandex. Glacier "no reservation" sites can be acommodating.
2. Pantry was a must-have for us. Where we travel there are not always grocery stores. You have to eat. Without the pantry there is less space for food.
3. Lovely sofa in the 30'. We lusted after that, but in the end it doesn't matter as much as we thought. We are out most of the day, sitting outside in the evening. We could use the sofa with more people or on rainy days it would be more comfortable. Want the pantry AND the sofa AND no longer than 28'. Airstream doesn't make this.
4. For 2 people, the 28' is more than large enough. For company, kids, large dogs, the larger the better. We heard someone at Alumapalooza this year say that the 27FB sleeps 6, lives 2. That's a true statement if I ever heard one.
Yooperchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
27 or 30 foot size dilemma

Over the years we have gone from a tent to 15 ft, 22 ft, 25, 28 ft ( SOB) trailers, using each unit for about 7 years. Now we have the 2004 Classic 30 footer which we purchased in 2006.
( It's hard to believe that it has been 11 years since we bought it. People look at it and can't believe that it is "that" old.)

The reason for the upgrade in length was this: the more time we spent traveling the more we came to the conclusion that a longer trailer gave us more living space, storage space and "elbow" room.

The 30 footer has great closet and storage space,really a good thing for longer trips and for storing clothing when heading to those colder areas.

The sleeping area can be closed off to the dining/kitchen/ living room / bathroom area, so that my wife, who usually gets up earlier can make breakfast, turn on the news and I won't hear a thing in the bedroom. The same for the evening routine.

The length does limit you a bit more in terms of finding the "perfect" camping sites. We've been as far south as Florida several times, north to Maine many times, out west to Texas, Colorado, Grand Tetons etc. and camped at many state and national parks without great difficulty in finding good sites.

We have over 60,000 miles on the trailer pulled by a 2007 - 5.7 liter Tundra, which has about 65,000 miles on it.( we use the Tundra mostly for pulling the trailer)

We hope to keep it as long as we can travel. We are both 71.

There are many excellent comments on this forum, so that should help you in making a good informed decision.

Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 02:27 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
While other say that you can't get in to campgrounds... that is simply not true.. We have taken our trailers up to yellowstone many a time... and while fishermans bridge can accomidate up to 45 ft.... we found as the other said.. its just a parking lot like walmart.. except your closer togeather and you have utilities...

We stayed in the grant village campground... backed in... with the 30 ft... and no problems... matter of fact the person at the desk came out in his little golf cart and directed us... it was a nice time.. The best kept secret is that you back the trailer wheels all the way back to the stop or edge of the pad... and let the rear of the trailer overhang... BUt... YOU GOT TO WATCH THE TREES... which some should be cut down.. as the MH's with their long wheel bases... were trying hard to take the bark off some as they nav'ed the camp road... We found that having the hitch on the front of the TV helps nava'gate some of these roads better.. as it shortens the turnability. but you have to take your time...

Again.. I would not limit yourself to just a new Aristream... their are a lot of good OLDER units that still have a lot of life left in 'em... at 1/4 the price... and we think they made them better back then... too... you want to get something around the 80's to 90's... it has real wood and some nice looks inside too... yes you might have to replace things... (customizing a AS is a favorite thing to do these days) but, in the end you are dollars ahead sometimes with the older units... when compared to new ones...
But, some like that inside the beer can look.. and so will push the new... which yes indeed has new technology... and about 6 inches wider floor Just don't get caught up in the .. if its new.. I won't have problems ... idea... They all have problems... right out of the factory door... but, like anything.. time and money fixes all... Ya just hate to tear into a new one... because it had a failure...

Is it just me or have others noticed that the new ones are not listed as FULL TIMING vehicles... did Airstream change.... from full time.. to CAMPING/travel trailer...only....

Others have said that the new ones don't even have insulation under the floor between the underpin'n... hot in the summertime even with the A/C on.. and cold in the winter... more so than previous ones... Their are other things too that the new ones seem to lack.. such as backup lights... (did airstream forget.. or just got cheap...)... A lot of the new airstreams got hit with the recall on the refriges too... and will have to have them removed and replaced... as the suit goes on...

I would do some serious research on which one is best... But one thing that doesn't make sense to me is that 27/28 ft.. vs the 30... when you check

I find it interesting that the 28 ft trailer is actually 27'11" and the 27 ft is 28 ft long... hitch to bumper... I am still scratching my head on that one... the 27 is physically longer than the 28 ??? ... yet the 30 ft is 31 ft long... interesting... but one thing you need to also look at are the hitch weights.. that tells you how well balanced the trailer is ..

the 30 classic is 896 lbs.. the 28 is (wow) 903 the 27 is 791.... again the 28 is much heavier on the hitch weight than the 30 is... (think tee-ter-totter with the wheels being the point.. of rotation... )
so the 28 carries a larger percentage of its wt forward on the tV... But the real numbers come from how much of the total wt is carried to the TV hitch wt... that is how well balanced the trailer is going to be and tow... and react to winds, trucks etc...
hitch wt
27 ft is 791 28 t is 903 and the 30 is 896
27 ft is 5686 28 ft is 5979 and the 30 is 6517

from those two numbers you can determine the % trailer wt carried forward of the wheel trucks... vs what is behind the wheel trucks..

So which is is right.. only you can make that decision... but, which ever you get... I am sure you will have fun and adventures with it...
Old 09-17-2017, 02:35 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Here is a GOOD IDEA... go rent an airstream for a week and see which one you like best... and fits your needs.. their are several dealers now that have rentals.. of all different sizes...

That way you can do the old test drive thing before you decide which one YOU like best... but try 'em out a couple of times.. just to be sure... its not throwing your money away... its finding out which one is best for you...

Of course if you buy used.. at a good price... and don't like the trailer ... for what ever... you can always sell it and get another one that YOU do think you want...

Just a suggestion ... to help decide which to go with... but, if your like the rest of us... your first WON'T be your final... I know we went through about 4 or 5 before settling on the one we have... and of course things change... so upsizing and downsizing is american today...
Old 09-17-2017, 05:04 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have never failed to get our 30' onto a pad, but...
Sometimes there isn't room for the truck in front...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote