Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2018, 06:19 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Winterizing steps for 2018 Classic 33

I have only found bits and pieces as for as Instructions. Winterizing my 2015 FC 28 was simple, but the addition of the Alde system is confusing. Has anyone got a step by step guide for the entire process?
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Still hoping someone will reply. Airstream Classic manual makes no sense. It says to close water heater shutoff valve. Alde doesn’t
have a water heater!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
From a friend with a 2017 Classic:
Winterizing the Airstream:
My last years system for winterizing with the Alde:
I drain every conceivable bit of water from the system and fresh water pipes. The dump in the rear water connection area. the two valves under the trailer and the dump valve (Yellow) on the Alde. It takes a while.
Then I close all valves and hook up the compressor to the fresh water (shore) connection and build up pressure to 60#. Then start opening facets. This too takes a while and no matter how much I did this I still got some spray. So, I gave up and bought three bottles of RV Anti-freeze and a Camco water pump by-pass kit. Installed the kit, had to buy extra clear hose as the supplied hose is not long enough for our pump location way back under the refridge. Then with all valves closed started pumping in the anti-freeze. Opened each valve until the pink came out. Including the toilet and outside shower and Alde hot water jacket, but opening the yellow valve a bit. With all this it took just about three bottles. Then the normal small amount down the drains.
Now the trick with the Alde is the system cannot be on with Anti-freeze in the hot water system or jacket. So, I decided before we left for FL last winter that I would simply dump the anit-freeze out, and then blow it out with the compressor. Which I did, then turned on the Alde system to heat the trailer three days prior to our departure. I won't go into the fact we ended up leaving three weeks later than our planned day and did not make the change until the day prior to our original departure date.
Then at our first stop, seven hours south of us, I hooked up the fresh water, at 19F and flushed the remaining RV fluid out of the system. Not much at all and no taste in the water when I tried it.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
By the way, the Alde does have a “water heater” or by definition you would not have hot water...ever.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
From a friend with a 2017 Classic:
Winterizing the Airstream:
My last years system for winterizing with the Alde:
I drain every conceivable bit of water from the system and fresh water pipes. The dump in the rear water connection area. the two valves under the trailer and the dump valve (Yellow) on the Alde. It takes a while.
Then I close all valves and hook up the compressor to the fresh water (shore) connection and build up pressure to 60#. Then start opening facets. This too takes a while and no matter how much I did this I still got some spray. So, I gave up and bought three bottles of RV Anti-freeze and a Camco water pump by-pass kit. Installed the kit, had to buy extra clear hose as the supplied hose is not long enough for our pump location way back under the refridge. Then with all valves closed started pumping in the anti-freeze. Opened each valve until the pink came out. Including the toilet and outside shower and Alde hot water jacket, but opening the yellow valve a bit. With all this it took just about three bottles. Then the normal small amount down the drains.
Now the trick with the Alde is the system cannot be on with Anti-freeze in the hot water system or jacket. So, I decided before we left for FL last winter that I would simply dump the anit-freeze out, and then blow it out with the compressor. Which I did, then turned on the Alde system to heat the trailer three days prior to our departure. I won't go into the fact we ended up leaving three weeks later than our planned day and did not make the change until the day prior to our original departure date.
Then at our first stop, seven hours south of us, I hooked up the fresh water, at 19F and flushed the remaining RV fluid out of the system. Not much at all and no taste in the water when I tried it.

Not sure I understand the dump in rear water area. I know about the 2 under the trailer and Alde, but don’t know where rear water dump is. I have the 2018 Classic 33.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winterizing steps for 2018 Classic 33

Yeah, the 33 may be different. But the 30’s all have an additional low point drain at the city water hookup and black tank wash inlet compartment.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
Yeah, the 33 may be different. But the 30’s all have an additional low point drain at the city water hookup and black tank wash inlet compartment.

OK, thanks. I have that valve too for releasing water pressure so you don’t have to go in to trailer.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I have a rather concise Winterizing Guide that I made for my 2014, 27ft., AS. It can easily apply to most models. (I live in northern VT.) If anyone wants a pdf copy, email me at:
sgraner@aol.com
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I would love to see a step-by-step guide for the 2018 Classic 33 also... I went through most of the process today but not sure if I still have water somewhere in the system. Here’s what I’ve done so far:
1. Drain & flush blackwater tank.
2. Drain grey water tank
3. Drain fresh water tank
4. Pressurize black water hose inlet to clear water from the line
5. Pressurize city water inlet
6. Open galley faucet, run hot & cold until just air
7. Open bathroom faucet, run hot & cold until just air
8. Open shower faucet, run hot & cold until just air
9. Open exterior shower faucet, run hot & cold until just air
10. Remove covers from sofa on both sides to access Alde system and low point valves
11. Drain low point valve closest to door to drain water heater
12. Drain low point valves (2) near kitchen walkway
13. Pour anti-freeze in the galley sink, bathroom sink, shower drain, and toilet (and flush).

I should also note, before I started this process, that I shut off the gas and electric on the control panel. I also shut off the fridge and prop the doors open by putting a towel in the freezer door, which also soaks up any melted ice.

Let me know what I’ve forgotten or missed!

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There's a thread (actually several of them) over in the section on the "Classic" trailers that go into way more detail than you would ever want to run through on winterizing the modern Classic trailers.

The water system has several valves on it. Just as with a more conventional setup, there are three that do the cutoff process. One shuts off water into the tank.. One shuts off water out of the tank. The third diverts water around the (now cut off) tank. Alde systems get a pressure relief valve and a drain valve on top of all this.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote