Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Winterizing nightmare

After much reluctance, I did winterize my unit last year, following the manual for my unit in combination with information from this forum. As of today, multiple PEX clamps have come unloose and leaks everywhere (when the pump is running), pink stuff nightmare. My unit is now at the dealership $175 an hour resolving all plumbing issues.

Will never Winterize again and will keep my unit warm all winter from now on. Totally disgusted. Just glad I noticed this quickly and no permanent damage was done, but appears all PEX connections needs replacing. Will know more tomorrow.
Spartanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Not sure what could have gone wrong. Winterizing is something that thousands upon thousands of RV owners do without any issues. I doubt it is the Pex fittings, because they would have leaked before winterizing. But to not winterize is going to be problematic.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
the only way the pex fittings could have leaked is if there was high pressure left in the water lines as the temp went down
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
the only way the pex fittings could have leaked is if there was high pressure left in the water lines as the temp went down
That would have to mean an awful lot of pressure. I can’t imagine a hand pump doing that. And the water pump (if used) wouldn’t create that kind of pressure unless it was defective. But that would show up under other conditions as well (you would think).
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
That would have to mean an awful lot of pressure. I can’t imagine a hand pump doing that. And the water pump (if used) wouldn’t create that kind of pressure unless it was defective. But that would show up under other conditions as well (you would think).

Pump worked fine prior to Winter. Can’t figure out what caused this pressure.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Don’t be so hard on yourself. I have found lousy mechanical and electrical work on my trailer that was done on the build.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:

This is the best photo I have right now. The line has popped off under the sink (fixed) and now a line is popped off near the pump. I just wonder what other areas need to be looked at? Where else might this have happened/be hiding?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3775.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	393160
Old 04-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I winterized with an air compressor at 40 PSI. Blew out all the water lines until not even a mist came out. No pink stuff in the water lines. I opened the line at the pump but nothing came out. I emptied the three tanks and put pink stuff in the black tank and each trap. I’m in central Texas where we experienced near zero degrees. So far, no issues while on city water. I have loaded not up the fresh water tank or grey and black so there could still be issues.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 19' Bambi
Quote:

Opened all faucets after winterizing. Wouldn’t that have removed the pressure?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
My sympathies. As the pilot plant operators used to say, “There are successes and there are lessons.” Maybe the shop guys can offer some ideas as to what happened?
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote