Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2021, 06:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Worcester , VT
winterizing if you never use water pump or tank

Our 2020 Flying Cloud is permanently moored near the house, so we use the house water supply and never fill the fresh water tank or run the water pump. Some of the winterizing steps in the manual involve the water pump (those involving the water filter and outlet hose). Can I safely ignore those steps when I winterize with compressed air?
VT FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I would say no. Do the full winterization. You will have water in the entire plumbing system using city water (except maybe not the pump). It is not worth the risk.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT FC View Post
Our 2020 Flying Cloud is permanently moored near the house, so we use the house water supply and never fill the fresh water tank or run the water pump. Several of the winterizing steps in the manual involve the water pump (the water filter and outlet hose, the bypass valve under the couch cushion). Can I safely ignore those steps when I winterize with compressed air?
I would not skip...What style compressor are you using?
I turn on the pump and let it run while I blow out the lines.

FWIW...I would NOT let those functions go un-used.
Lack of use can lead to unuseable and would not be a good selling point when the time comes.
Is the black tank used?
Is the trailer sitting on it's axles? They can be rendered un-useable if not used regularly.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1933D18-02D9-4E17-B4BE-768CA55CAED6_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	406691  
Old 10-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
There is a diaphram inside the pump that prevents water from backflowing into the water tank. So, there is water inside the pump whether you use the pump or not.

If you are using air to purge the water system, you will need to disconnect the outlet pipe from the pump and run the pump to purge water from the pump. I would also disconnect and drain the bowl on the inlet side too. (you never know if someone turn on the pump switch)

If you are using antifreeze, with a winterizing kit attached to the pump, you can skip this step since the antifreeze will protect the components of the pump system.

ps: Whether you have intentionally put water into the fresh water tank or not, there can be water that needs to be drained. Condensation happens when the tank is empty. It can get nasty and that requires regular maintenance.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
^
????

Why disconnect the pump if you're not sucking AF thru it?

I've left it connected and in place for at least 10yrs without a problem.

From the AS guide><><><><

"It’s helpful to have an assistant to go inside and begin opening each faucet, one at a time. The compressed air will blow any remaining water out through the faucet. If the faucets have both hot and cold water functions, rotate the handles all the way from cold to hot to allow all the lines to clear.

Then, one at a time:

Flush the toilet (and depress the toilet hand sprayer if you have one).
Turn on the shower (and the external shower if you have one).
Depending on your Airstream model, you may also have other appliances that utilize water, such as an ice maker, washing machine, or tub.

<<<<You’ll also need to turn the water pump on and allow the compressed air to clear water that may be trapped in the pump.<<<<<<

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-21-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
????

Why disconnect the pump if you're not sucking AF thru it?

I've left it connected and in place for at least 10yrs without a problem.
<<snip>>
Part of the pump head has water inside it, on the discharge side, when city water is pressurized. That water pressure pushes the diaphram closed. The diaphram is acting like a check valve, keeping water from flowing into fresh water tank.
I did not have a problem either, for many years, doing nothing, until it froze and I had to replace a pump.
The winterizing instructuctions that came with my new pump says to disconnect the discharge side and run breifly to purge water.
Example on page 3>
https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...s/911-1026.pdf
I think there is some similar verbiage in the Airstream owners manual.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Worcester , VT
Thanks for the advice. This is my second year of winterizing, and both times I disconnected the outlet and ran the pump, and both times no evidence of water, which led me to believe the pump and tank were always bone dry in my case. I'm mainly trying to avoid extra steps, but to be safe I will probably keep lying on my belly and rassling with the furnace ducts under the stove to get at what I need to disconnect.
VT FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Part of the pump head has water inside it, on the discharge side, when city water is pressurized. That water pressure pushes the diaphram closed. The diaphram is acting like a check valve, keeping water from flowing into fresh water tank.
I did not have a problem either, for many years, doing nothing, until it froze and I had to replace a pump.
The winterizing instructuctions that came with my new pump says to disconnect the discharge side and run breifly to purge water.
Example on page 3>
https://www.pentair.com/content/dam/...s/911-1026.pdf
I think there is some similar verbiage in the Airstream owners manual.
Why won't the pump 'purge' if the lines have no water?

Well maybe it's the way I installed the pump, it's on 1" rubber pedestal mounts to help quite it a bit. No accumulation tank and no sharp hose bends.

It's never frozen, maybe the Winters are not cold enough here in Buffalo.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It would be pretty easy to just take the pump out and drain it and leave it out until needed again. Would only have to do that once,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Winters are not cold enough here in Buffalo.

<<snip>>
🇺🇸
That's got to be it!