Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

2001 16' Bambi
Whitefish , Montana
Winterizing if we didn't use trailer all summer

This may be a totally ignorant question, but we were wondering if we have to winterize our trailer if we didn't even get the chance to use it this summer? We're so sad we didn't... but just don't want to have to pay to winterize it.
linzjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Is it still winterized from last year?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
If it has already been winterized from last year it should be okay for another winter.

However, winterizing is such a simple thing to do, if it were my trailer I would find someone to show me how to do it (a local dealer, for example, or a friend), buy some RV antifreeze (I just bought a gallon for $4.00 at Walmart in Bozeman the day before yesterday) and put fresh antifreeze in the lines. If you were closer to me (I'm just south of Livingston) I'd show you how to do it - probably less than an hour job for your trailer, and maybe only a 15 minute job.

Also, since you haven't used your trailer in some time, I would want to also periodically check all of the outside water heater, refrigerator, furnace, etc. compartments to make sure no rodents or insects have built nests, etc. in them. (I put moth balls in mine over the winter) I would also want to check that the tires are keps properly inflated, and are kept off the bare ground or floor (and may also want to use jack stands to completely raise the trailer so there is no weight on the tires.

I'd also want to do other periodic inspections of the trailer, such as making sure all the caulking and sealants are holding up and intact. These you can probably do yourself.

John
Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Geeez - and here I am in Bozeman, thinking that I probably will get in a few more fishing trips with my 'Stream before having to winterize ... given the change in weather, though, it may be getting to be about that time! Please tell me there's still more time left ...

For certain, you'd want to put some antifreeze in the traps, if for no other reason than to keep tank smells out of the trailer over the winter. Flyfisher's suggestions are all good ones, well worth doing. I also keep a bunch of those pheromone sticky traps in mine over winter, just in case mice do get in despite the moth balls, dryer clothes softener sheets, etc. Also, I'm assuming that if it was properly winterized after being used last time, the battery(ies) are out of the trailer. If not, I'd be sure to remove them to a reasonably warm place, check their water level if they're flooded cell type, and keep their charge up over the winter.

By the way, forgot to mention: welcome to the Forums. Hope you find lots of good information on here - there are many folks here with LOTS of experience who will be happy to help you. They've gotten me out of a few worries and problems, that's for sure!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
All good advice but if raising the trailer to keep tires off the ground the frame must be supported there or you will bend the frame from the weight of the axles and tires hanging there and pulling it down.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would at least pour some RV Anti Freeze in all of the drain traps. Bath sink, tub/shower and galley sink. Of coarse that's assuming you did winterize last year.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #7

2001 16' Bambi
Whitefish , Montana
Thanks for the great advice and answers! My husband will do it, not me but I thought I would ask before taking it in... I know he can do it himself. We just had a baby so that is why we didn't take it out at all this summer. We did take it to a friends house but never used the plumbing. We plan on taking it out on the road lots next summer, although my job keeps me really busy in the summer.

Great to be on here. We just love our little Bambi.
Thanks again!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #8

2001 16' Bambi
Whitefish , Montana
Oh, and you in Bozeman, I think you still have time to take it out!