RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-22-2005, 06:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thought I would try to get one more road trip in before winterizing. The temperature is predicted to get down to the mid - low twenties this weekend. The AS would be heated at all times. Does anyone think I would be flirting with disaster?
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:40 AM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Thought I would try to get one more road trip in before winterizing. The temperature is predicted to get down to the mid - low twenties this weekend. The AS would be heated at all times. Does anyone think I would be flirting with disaster?
as long as you have plenty of propane you will be fine.

i have wet camped in mine into the low teens with no problems.

john
Old 11-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
John is right....as long as you keep the heat running, you should be in good shape. The furnace in the Bambi has a duct to the grey tank below. The black tank is mostly above the floor and the fresh tank is above the floor as are most of the fresh water lines.

If it is going to be less than 32 degrees as you say, I would throw some of the pink stuff down the drain(s) and some in the black tank, just so that the exposed section of PVC that is outside (pre dump valves) has some antifreeze in it as a precaution, but that's just me...possibly a 1/4 gallon to each tank. Some may say overkill, but at $3 a gallon, not enviornmentally toxic and the cost to dig into it if something did happen (which I know may be rare), seems to me only slightly overkill.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks John, both tanks will be full before departure. Silvertwinkie, winterizing the drain is a good idea, especially whille traveling. I was out camping this weekend, and the temp dropped to 29 with no problems. The propane furnace kept us really warm. It was about 35 - 40 during the day so I tried out the heat pump on the Penguin for the first time. It worked great, and easily kept the cabin temp at a steady 69 degrees.
Regards,
GW
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
southern , ontario
If you are using AS in freezing weather it is important to have out side water running (running water does not freeze) to prevent exterior water lines from freezing, also you will note that most of your interior water pipes are very close to the exterior walls, so you need to keep the inside cupboard doors open, this will allow heat to migrate to any cold spots.

drive safe
letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #26
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
good points all,

what it really comes down to is RUN THE FURNACE!

heat pumps or strips and space heaters will not heat your tanks.

only the furnace does.

john