Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I know Ray is right….
I miss Ray!

I feel like I was just getting to know him, too.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I am going to be heading back east next week, via I-10 Texas, New Orleans, Top of Georgia, to arrive to Virginia Highland Haven the following weekend.

I wanted to offer some reflections on winter camping in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah this year.

All in all, it was a solid experience; that worked out well.

The coldest night I saw in an established campground was 10F at Zion National Park Watchman Campground. I stayed there for four weeks (two two-week stints,) and found it consistently cooler than Springdale weather forecasts by 5-10 degrees. I would have winterized had I saw a 10F potential; but the forecast that night was 22. The furnace ran about 80% of the time; set to 64F inside. n the AM, the wide-mouth faucet in the bathroom was shedding ice crystals; but the Girard hot water heater cleared it all instantly, and I've seen no issues since. I am likely to suggest I dodged an expensive bullet that night, and would in the future still plan on winterizing if I knew the trailer would be seeing 10F overnight. That week at Zion, I burned through about 25 gallons of propane. Thankfully a place in Hurricane was selling it for just at $3/gallon so it wasn't too horrific.

The coldest night I saw boondocking was 14F overnight about 20 miles east of Kenab. To be safe, I ran the genset all night; or until 2am when it ran out of gas, and I shed nearly 50% load off the AGMs the remainder of the night running the furnace. In my notes, I may plan to pack a tent for the generator next year, so I could be guaranteed use of it during rain or snow if I needed it. That boondocking trip was 7 nights; and I can see the need to add the third solar panel to the roof; and perhaps pickup a suitcase panel as well, else expect daily generator top-ups.

The final day at the Grand Canyon we had both ice and snow, with the resulting tow south the next morning out of the park being on nearly untreated and unplowed surfaces. The trailer, with stock tires, towed accurate and dead on. The roads out of the grand canyon however are largely straight an level -- I am sure the experience would have been different had I tried to do that on either 89A out of Utah or 89. As soon as I made Phoenix, a pass through Blue Beacon took all the road treatments off the trailer.

All in all - I think I am going to return to Zion, Bryce and southern Utah again next January/February. This was an amazing experience and I look forward to more BLM time next year than established campgrounds.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ontario
I winter camped in a tent a number of times as a kid involved in Scouting for almost 15 years. I went twice in college with my then girlfriend, now wife. The second trip was technically in the Fall but it snowed and was her first backcountry canoe trip. We've been on 25 backcountry canoe trips since then.
I've only winter camped in a trailer once. I loved it!
Since we have the trailer stored indoors usually from at least November 1st through April 1st, we typically book a tiny cabin up North for 3 nights every January or February. We go snowshoeing and hiking in a nearby Provincial Park and always visit the sole campground that remains open year round. During any holiday in the winter the campground is full of people camping in tents, trailers and yurts. They make me jealous every time we visit. It can get down to -40C/-40F ambient.
The few Conservation Areas and Provincial Parks that remain open year round here in Ontario are often full every Halloween, New Year's Eve and Family Day weekends, regardless of the weather forecast.
Those that love it love it!
Mattedfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Airstream and Oliver Trailer Prep: DIFFERENT Procedures

Pioneers still exist! Wonderful examples with Tent and Airstreams.

We have prepped our 2019 Oliver Elite II trailer since purchase. We have been careful to compare how the Oliver organized the water and heating systems within the living area, smaller than a 23 foot, but a close example, as we had a 23 foot Safari.

The WATER and HEATING systems are together under the curbside couch area, within the living space. The Heat also vents from this area and in the process adds heat to the water lines and fresh water tank that is distributed over a large area below the floor and appears above the aluminum alloy frame.

Very smart and frame / support / water tank / black & grey water, body and insulation designed for Colder Weather Oliver RVing. The previous Oliver Owner was wise to have purchased an extra WATER PUMP as the entire water system is operated by opening and closing water lines to fill, add and use. Nancy is the 'inside person'... and I am safely watching from a distance.

This has been an interesting time consuming Airstream and Oliver prepping for 2022 Season. Both trailers are humming, operating and ready.

NO popped interior RIVETS in the 27FBQ. Even have the Entry Door closing and opening easily... imagine that. Even insulated the entry way with Gorilla Tape strips to fill in the gaps around the entry frame and even sealed the Rear Cargo Area... for once. Adding some gaskets on the open side spaces and hardware to secure this area to the rear bumper better. No water to freeze, if it cannot enter.

Keeps me off the Forum, and getting tow vehicle and trailers tweaked for another interesting serious of adventures... of some sort or other.

We shall see. After spending much time prepping, learning a new way to bring fresh water into and out of the Oliver... we are now catching up to our Airstream knowledge. The two trailers have Double Axles and 16 inch Michelins in common... The Oliver has leaf springs attached to straight axles.

We will try to do what several Airstream owners have experienced in Cold Weather Conditions. The Oliver is better insulated for Heat and Cold, compared to our 27FBQ.

The Oliver IS a four Season Trailer. The Airstream, three Season... and may just respect that bit of one Season for ONLY an Oliver... The Oliver is much better insulated for Winter conditions and very well thought out with the limited space within. Just shy of a 23 foot, considering storage is also very well placed for space.

Call us Airstream Happy and Oliver Happy. Both have the 30 Pound Propane Tanks... Ian Poulin and Mattedfred give me courage. Will enjoy this Season with both trailers... and then... test the Oliver for "Believe It or Not" Fourth Season use.

This will be a Two Blue Heeler Winter for us this year.