Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
Tifmartin109

1970 31' Sovereign
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Tunkhannock , PA
Exclamation Water Heater De Winterizing

Hello!

We have a new to us 2010 flying cloud. We bought it last year. This winter was our first time wintering a AS. We are concerned about the water heater now that we are opening the trailer back up for the season.

We drained the water heater in the fall. We never switched off the breaker to the heater. Not sure if that matters.

We refilled the fresh water tank and hooked it up to city water as well. The faucets are flowing but no hot water.

I'm not sure how to refill the water heater.

I turned on the switch in the bathroom and the red light did not come on. I assume that is a good thing and that it is igniting. Not sure if turning the switch on has caused damage because there may be no water in the heater. I only turned it on then right back off.

Attached is a picture of our water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-4248.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	397.8 KB
ID:	397888  
tifmartin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Do you have a WH by pass valve? Our WH fills up if I open a hot water valve and connect the water supply. If...the by pass valve is in the correct position.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Ok, I am making a few assumptions here:

1) Pump and/or city water is on/connected flowing
2) The water heater is on and LP valves are on and you bled the line and stove lights
2a) If heater is electric, verify it's on, heating and no tripped breaker.
3) Water heater is lit and actively heats water.

From there, I would look for the three valves that bypass. Supply and output valves turned counter clockwise, center bypass valve turned counter clockwise disabling the bypass.

By having valves turned as suggested, water pressure automagically fills water heater.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
Tifmartin109

1970 31' Sovereign
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Tunkhannock , PA
We never put in antifreeze. Only drained the water lines, fresh water tank, and emptied the water heater. Because of that we have never touched the bypass valves. I checked the release valve on the water heater and water did come out. I assume that means the water heater is full. We are not currently using LP only the electric. I flipped the electric switch on in the bathroom and I think I can hear the water heater running, but still no hot water. I'm confused LOL
tifmartin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Is the water cold, or does it run warm for a little while and then turn cold? Or does no water come out when you open the hot water taps?

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote