Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
water drainage

Some questions about water drainage. I want to drain my water system and have it be dry for a while for storage. Some things I do not understand..

1. using a blowout plug with compressed air into the city water inlet, will that dry the fresh tank if the petcocks are open, or will the check valve resist the airflow as it would the water? If that won't work, how can I dry the fresh tank? there is water adhering to the top of the tank. Alternatively, what if I blow air through the fresh water tank filler? Is there an adapter for that? The adapter I have is specifically designed to vent air so as to not pressurize the tank.

2. what happens if i blow the air through and do not do anything to the hot water tank such as open the drain valve?

thanks!
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Lee,

I use an adapter I made and blow out the HW tank also..

Bob
Old 09-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Lee,

I use an adapter I made and blow out the HW tank also..

Bob
thanks. Any thoughts on the first set of questions?
Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
1. using a blowout plug with compressed air into the city water inlet, will that dry the fresh tank if the petcocks are open, or will the check valve resist the airflow as it would the water? If that won't work, how can I dry the fresh tank? there is water adhering to the top of the tank. Alternatively, what if I blow air through the fresh water tank filler? Is there an adapter for that? The adapter I have is specifically designed to vent air so as to not pressurize the tank.

It will not blow out the fresh water tank, just open the valve for the fresh water and let it drain, then close the valve. Don't worry about it being dry, you will need to sanitize it when you are ready to use it the next season. If it's empty there isn't much to freeze so no expansion of ice to worry about.

What is the need to have it bone dry?

2. what happens if i blow the air through and do not do anything to the hot water tank such as open the drain valve?

There is a bypass valve that will shunt water to the heater but you need to close the cold water inlet valve and hot water outlet valve as well as the crossover. Your owner's manual will tell you the location of these valves.

Why do you want to leave water in the hot water heater?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
water drainage

I figured for a few weeks it would be ok since the hot water would kill any bacteria as long as I waited for it to get to temperature. Bone dry because then I could skip any treatment with bleach or other means.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Don't leave your fresh water tank drain valve open... just having a little water in the bottom won't hurt it.. but, do put about 1/4-1/2 ounce of Clorox in it... then run a little water to flush out of the inlet to the tank... shouldn't take more than a cup.

Open the 'low point' valves when you 'blow' the lines.. you will need a compressor which can provide 'volume', not 'pressure'... low pressure works.. under 20PSI I would guess.. but you can follow the numbers in your Owner's manual.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
The low point valves basically come off the fresh tank. That's why I was wondering. Anyway for sure not to leave them open. Don't want critters
Old 09-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
The low point valves basically come off the fresh tank. That's why I was wondering. Anyway for sure not to leave them open. Don't want critters
My low point will drain most of the water from the plumbing but not the fresh water tank. It has its own drain valve. It won't hurt to leave water in the hot water heater except in freezing weather. Same for the fresh water tank. Since you're just storing in the summer I wouldn't worry about draining anything. If it's been a few months I just let the water run for about a gallon or two, hot and cold.

The Airstream manual says to sanitize at the start of each season. I normally do that for our first trip after storage when I'm draining the antifreeze from the lines.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote