Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2018, 06:12 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
I wouldn't worry about 28 degrees for a night. If your water tank's full, and you're using the water, it won't have time to freeze up. If you let it sit there for a few days at temps below 32, it may start to freeze.
That reminds me, gotta go drain the water tank from last weekend before Thursday nite when we're supposed to freeze....

Kay
Hi

A full water tank (any of them) will take forever and ever to freeze. You will have damage all over the place on the trailer before you get trouble from the fresh water tank it's self. Sections of pipe (if metal), faucets, drains, and back flow fittings are where you will see damage.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It is fairly easy to blow out the water lines if you don’t want to completely winterize for a few cold nights. I was in similar situations last April in WI. We had ton of snow and cold. So I blew the lines, drained tanks, and kept on LP furnace at about 45. Dewinterizing was then easy without dealing with anti freeze.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Today...
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:23 AM   #24
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbisquit View Post
Aloha, Wondering when people in the upper Midwest winterize their campers? We are in Minneapolis and love to camp into November. We have a 1Sport 16 We would love to have water through Oct and then drain and winterize the end of Oct and dry camp in Nov. Wondering if we are pushing it?
Also in Minneapolis, last week-end we winterized our Classic just before the snow on Sunday.
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Do you folks let RV anti-freeze sit on top of the slice valve in the toilet over the winter? Should there be something else there for the seal? I was thinking about putting some Ru-glyde in the toilet this year for the toilet seal. I have a but on the shelf and was think this may keep the rubber seal more supple. Or would this hurt the plastic?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
Yesterday.
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Some people use vegetable oil in the toilet to keep the seal lubricated over the winter. You definitely need something to keep the seal from drying out. We have always filled the toilet half full of antifreeze, and then put plastic cling wrap over the bowl to keep the antifreeze from evaporating out over the winter. We've never had a problem doing this, but I have read some have had staining in their bowl.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:02 AM   #28
PCJ
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Do you folks let RV anti-freeze sit on top of the slice valve in the toilet over the winter? Should there be something else there for the seal? I was thinking about putting some Ru-glyde in the toilet this year for the toilet seal. I have a but on the shelf and was think this may keep the rubber seal more supple. Or would this hurt the plastic?
We had the dealer winterize it for it's first time and they just had the pink stuff in the toilet that is all I've ever done on other campers we've owned. Hoping this is the last winter as in may we plan to go full time, I here in Texas we will not need to do that.
PCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #29
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
.... We've never had a problem doing this, but I have read some have had staining in their bowl.

Kay
Hi

Do you have a bowl made from plastic or one made from ceramic (porcelain)?

It's pretty tough to stain a piece of ceramic. Staining plastic usually is pretty easy.

Bob
Old 10-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
We take ours camping in sub-freezing temps, but we're fully winterized...no water in lines, RV antifreeze in P-traps. For a weekend trip our furnace does the job ok. For longer stays we look for places with shore power and run a ceramic heater. No showers, but boiling water for sponge baths does the job. Flush with bottled water mixed with a little pink stuff.
Rollinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have a ceramic bowl. I think the people who complained about staining probably had plastic. BUT, even when we had plastic in SOB trailers, it didn't stain...

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Nope...never AF in the bowl,(or tanks, but I know nothing)
Since using an AS dealer supply of the pink in the bowl and the following Spring having to remove the crapper and replace the slide seal.
I started with olive oil,(spent the night in the dog house after using the last of it) bought my own bottle of Crisco and been using it for the last 8yrs, 2tbl spoons at a time.😂
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
We have a ceramic bowl. I think the people who complained about staining probably had plastic. BUT, even when we had plastic in SOB trailers, it didn't stain...

Kay
Hi

There's nothing magic about the components in an AS. They come from the same outfits as the stuff that goes into SOB's. Yes, in some cases AS is still using what was popular in the 1960's so their stuff may be a bit rare in modern other brands....Even there it can be highly model dependent.

Bob