Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #1

Bogart , Alabama
Unwinterizing

I have a 2018 Basecamp. It is currently winterized but I am very confused as to how to dewinterize. Can anyone give me detailed step by step instructions, with illustrations if possible. I’m a newbie and very nervous on how to do this! Thank you!
Bparkeruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There are several methods of winterizing, know what was done would dictate the reverse process.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And your owners manual should be of help to you.

One option would be to find an RV place that does this, and have them walk you thru their process, step by step.

Take notes and pictures.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I don’t know how similar a Basecamp is to a Flying Cloud, but here’s the step by step process I use. Some of it is me writing to myself so things may not apply to you. Does any of this make sense?

Dewinterize Procedure

YOU CAN START THIS AT THE STORAGE YARD CONNECTING TO THEIR HOSE.....don’t leave until step 4 completed

NOTE: you could do steps 1-11 the day before - this would sanitize FW tank overnight and pump chlorine through all systems when flushing out AF.

DO NOT ADDRESS WATER HEATER BYPASS UNTIL STEP 14

HAVE 3 oz OF BLEACH FOR STEP 4

HAVE 15/16 SOCKET FOR WH PLUG STEP 2

1reinstall batteries (see pics in Battery file on phone) - starting camping again is a POSITIVE experience; hook positive up first
2reassemble items left loose for winter: exterior shower heads, hoses/filter at pump, REPLACE WATER HEATER DRAIN PLUG - replace batteries in remote controls...
3close all faucets, shower valves, low-point drains, etc
4Connect water filter and hose to water source - ensure charcoal runs clear out of filter. PUT 3 oz OF BLEACH IN FRESH TANK then fill the FRESH water tank after making sure you have closed the tank drain valve. SHUT OFF WATER SOURCE WHEN FW TANK IS FULL.
5START WATER PUMP and open galley faucets cold then hot til pink runs clear then shut off faucet. Be sure pump stops. If it doesn't, a drain may be open or you may have a leak. If all good, continue. If not - find leak/drains that may still be open.
6Close the galley sink faucets.
7Open the vanity faucets, wait for clear water to run. Close the faucets.
8Open the shower faucets, wait for clear water.
9Flush the toilet until you get clear water.
10(Optional - clear outdoor shower faucet - can be done at time of first use)
11Turn the pump off. (IF DONE THE NIGHT BEFORE CAMPING, STOP HERE AND START 12 NEXT DAY)
12Connect the hose to the city water connection and open the spigot at the pedestal.
13Turn on the city water. Then repeat steps 5-9 (only from city water, not pump).
14At this point the water heater should still be in the "bypass" mode from winterized process. You need to take it out of that bypass mode. The manual in your coach should have instructions on how this is done. When you take the water heater out of "bypass" with the city water still on. You should hear water running into the water heater tank. LET IT FILL BEFORE CONTINUING.
15Open the hot water faucet on the shower, galley and vanity sinks one at a time. Allow the water to run until there is no air coming out of the faucets.
16DO NOT START THE WATER HEATER IN EITHER THE GAS OR ELECTRIC MODE UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THE WATER HEATER IS FULL OF WATER.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Whomever winterized the coach may have opened the low point drain valves. If you are unsuccessful with the above steps. Look under the coach for water running out. If water is running out. You must locate the low point drain valves and close them. If the pump continues to run when all sink and shower valves are closed. A low point drain valve(s) may be open or you have a leak somewhere. Start looking.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Relax, it’s not that hard, SteveSueMacs intensive instructions not withstanding.

First question, did you leave your batteries hooked up? If yes, check battery levels and proceed to second question. If the answer is no, hook up your batteries.

Second question, did you use rv antifreeze!? If yes, you need to flush out the antifreeze with fresh water. If no, just add fresh water to tour tanks and you are pretty much good to go.

Re: your water heater. It’s a good idea, whether you used the antifreeze or not, to remove the nylon plug and flush water through the heater until it runs clear. Then reinstall the nylon cap, fill with water, and go camping.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well that’s a lot easier to understand! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote