Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
WINDSOR , ON
toilet drain

i've read that some people put a pop bottle in the drain on their toilet to keep it open, wouldn't that possibly allow smell from tank to enter the trailer? not sure if this is necessary would like a consensus.
garryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, that would allow odors into the trailer. Plus, it would prevent water from staying in the bowl and keeping the seal wet and lubricated.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have never done this, and can't imagine why anyone would do this. I would think that doing this while the trailer is stored would result in the interior of the trailer smelling like the inside of the black tank. What a pleasant thought that is.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Other than the reasons not to stated above, Why would you??

Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Never head of such a thing and can't think of any logic behind it.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
Other than the reasons not to stated above, Why would you??

Bob
I don't use a pop bottle, but I do have a device made for the purpose of holding the valve open. It is basically a plastic pipe with a handle. I would never leave it in, as it can quickly stink up the trailer. However it has a purpose. As long as the valve is held open and pump or city water is on, water will flow into the bowl and down into the holding tank. I quite often empty my fresh water tank this way instead of dumping it on the ground. I get one more rinse this way. As long as the bathroom fan is on, the smell exits quickly. It is also useful if you have a need to drag a hose into the trailer to fill the black tank for calibration, rinsing, etc.
Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I don't use a pop bottle, but I do have a device made for the purpose of holding the valve open. It is basically a plastic pipe with a handle. I would never leave it in, as it can quickly stink up the trailer. However it has a purpose. As long as the valve is held open and pump or city water is on, water will flow into the bowl and down into the holding tank. I quite often empty my fresh water tank this way instead of dumping it on the ground. I get one more rinse this way. As long as the bathroom fan is on, the smell exits quickly. It is also useful if you have a need to drag a hose into the trailer to fill the black tank for calibration, rinsing, etc.
Regards,
Ken

Good tip!

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Regards,
Ken
I have this for doing the above, my black water sprayer does not work that good. This does the job!

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0098.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	88422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0099.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	88423  

RLS is offline   Reply With Quote