Old 09-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
PORTLAND , Oregon
Tips for storage in PNW

Any tips/advice for how to store trailer through winter? It doesn't get terribly cold here, maybe only a couple weeks of freezing temps, but it is quite damp. Currently it's parked in our driveway and sort of being used for distance learning and a home office of sorts at times, so we're in and out of it most days.

I imagine the tanks should be emptied and lines blown out. I have it hooked up to shore power but not water.

I guess I'm most worried about humidity and mold growth.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jacksonville , Florida
This is what we use.

Caframo Limited 9406CAABX Stor-Dry 9406 Dehumidifier, Warm Air Circulator Fan

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1242.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	379389
Airstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jacksonville , Florida
We are in Vancouver WA.
Need to update our profile.
Airstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Donít forget about critters. I use a combination of religious cleaning, mouse sticky traps, and electronic hi frequency emitters. Iím lucky to have a shop to store the trailer in.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Hook up your electric connection and install a small oil heater.
Your biggest worry is going to be insidious leaking
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
I'm on Vancouver island with about the same Temps and moisture and I've been using the 1100 Eva Dry dehumidifier for about 5 years. Empty it out about once a week. I shut it down for the couple if weeks that it drops below freezing and it's worked out great, even on camping trips where we have hookups.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Are you able to store it covered? Keeping water/sun/debris off the roof is always wise. Even just an open sided carport type setup.

As others have commented, dehumidifier inside. If it were me I’d set it up so that it can continuously drain out to the ground, even if it meant making a (careful) hole in the floor. I would
Imagine you could set the dehumidifier in the bathroom and let it drain in the shower, leave the grey water valve cracked open.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Any tips/advice for how to store trailer through winter? It doesn't get terribly cold here, maybe only a couple weeks of freezing temps, but it is quite damp. Currently it's parked in our driveway and sort of being used for distance learning and a home office of sorts at times, so we're in and out of it most days.

I imagine the tanks should be emptied and lines blown out. I have it hooked up to shore power but not water.

I guess I'm most worried about humidity and mold growth.
rent, covered carport type place.......then use damp-rid
Me.. I never used a trailer cover
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0007 (4).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	379408  
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #9
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
Im also in a similar climate. Ive used bounce dryer sheets to help with bugs and critters. I've found that dispersing them throughout the trailer has worked good for several years now. We store ours and are usually gone for the winter (not this year ! ) so we dont see it for 4-5 months and have never had any issues.
When we get back the trailer smells like laundry....but thats ok.
Of course drain and blow water lines...add some antifreeze to traps etc.
If your storing at your home you'll probably be in and out regularly so you should be able to keep a close eye on mold etc.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I’m in Portland also. You do need some sort of dehumidifier, either electric or chemical. My FC25 has done just fine in uncovered storage with three of these. If you are going to use it frequently as a office, though, I’d second the idea of an electric dehumidifier and an electric space heater.

I also have Maxxair vent covers which allows us to let in outside air without worrying about rain getting in. We don’t do that in storage but you might want to as an office.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Iím here in Vancouver, WA, too. Keep your AS plugged in and run a small electric space heater in the trailer. Set it somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees. Thatís warm enough inside to keep humidity down. Keep your fridge off and propped open. Winterize. Drain all tanks and blow the lines clear of all fluid. Pour a gallon of RV antifreeze down all drains (sinks, shower and toilet). Close all windows and vents. Check everything daily, mainly to keep your eye on the heater and to watch for leaks. If you need help, PM me. Iím probably just a short drive away. We were forced to store our AS outside with no power or cover our first 18 months here. Then, we were able to move to a covered storage space with power. Now, we own a home with an RV garage. Even stored in our garage now, I follow the same tips Iíve provided here. So far, so good.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bainbridge Island , Washington
We use a plug in de-humidifier in our boat and will do the same in the Airstream. One or two would do it. I'd also keep cabinets open if possible and remove any "soft" materials as much as you can.
Mhalligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Live just outside of Snoqualmie. We have our 25' uncovered and just keep a small heater in it and cupboards and bathroom door open. Over the 6 + years or so we had itr, we never winterized, and winter before last we learned a lesson (water pump and bottom of shower cracked). Guess what we do now (ha ha). On the exterior - keeping it outside uncovered has not made any difference - still looks in grat shape (and is now 10 years old). I do wash and wax it twice a year, and actually need to do it again now.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pugetropolis , Washington
Winter storage

We are fortunate enough to have a tall enough carport and park under cover year round. We've alway had electrical access and a couple of years ago I had a 30 amp connection put in. My winter procedure has been basically the same, with a couple of new wrinkles added occasionally. I always drain all the fresh water, remembering to open faucets to allow the water lines to drain as much as possible. Anti-freeze goes into all the drains and all doors and cabinets are left open. I bought an electric oil heater from Costco that has an ecco mode which will kick it on at 41 degrees F. I have always used the Airstream heater over the winter set to 42, figuring the cost of propane required is cheap insurance. When the heaters aren't running there is a Davis Air-Dryer (https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/air-dryr-1000/) keeping some air movement and there are 2 small containers of Kanberra Gel, one at each end. We have never had a problem with damage or mold/musty smells. Two winters ago I bought another temperature sensor for my Davis weather station and am now able to monitor the inside temperature of the Airstream from inside the house. Before, I was switching tanks by guessing and filling them at 2/3 to 3/4 empty. Since I added the temperature sensor I have been able to basically empty a tank. If I see the temperature at 40 (or above 50 meaning the electric heater ecco mode has activated) I know I have an empty tank. Last winter, a little milder than usual, I used 2 tanks of propane. Every spring after a little airing out of the Kanberra gel aroma, the Airstream is just like it was when we ended the season. Interesting to note, a few years ago (with a sketchy service team in place) we took it to the local dealer for a check of the appliances and some minor maintenance. Since it was in early April with the possibility of some freezing temperatures, they recommended an"official winterization" when we dropped it off, so I agreed. Getting ready for the first trip of the year I discovered that the shower control was leaking badly. The dealers first response was it should have been winterized properly with the water lines blown out with air. After showing them the work order with the charges for winterization, the shower was repaired that day without charge. I would stand behind my methods 100%.
AL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bellingham , Washington
In Bellingham, mine is in covered storage, I winterize, we get enough freezing temperatures throughout the winter, and use 2-mini dehumidifiers, however those stop working during freezing temps. I usually have to go over to the trailer every 10 days to empty the dehumidifiers.
kmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote