Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
A. Bolton

1974 27' Overlander
2016 16' Sport
Tioga , Florida
Termites in my Trailer

I am starting this tread to share a recent and remarkable and horrifying discovery I made. About a month ago I noticed that after moving my 1975 27' Airstream Landyacht out of its garage bay that there were some small tubes made from what looked like black greasy rust or something growing off the floor. I wasn't sure what to make of it, but I though I may have a termite problem. I swept out the garage bay and remarked the trailer two weeks ago and made an inspection last night. To my amazement there were five separate mud tubes hanging from the underside of the trailer headed to the concrete slab. I have attached the photo for your amazement. I found live termites in each of these tubes. They were coming from small holes in the aluminum belly pan of the trailer. I sprayed a termiticide in each of the holes that I found and I am hoping that will be the end of the problem.

My father is a PHD entomologist and he told me that the termites in the trailer were attempting to reach the soil as a colony cannot survive for long without contact with the ground.

I didn't know if anyone had ever seen this but I thought it was worth sharing. I will update on my progress to evict my unwelcome guests from my Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	termitemudtubes.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	132013  
acbolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
You going to drop the pan to see where the little critters have been?
They could have done a lot of damage..
Please keep us updated!
Welcome to the group. I am in Gainesville also,
Joe
Old 06-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
They are looking for water . Need water to digest your trailer. You could have it tented and bug bombed
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Thanks for sharing that amazing photo. I have heard of termites in an airstream as there is wood, just never seen anything like that. The wood parts of your trailer are replaceable....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
A. Bolton

1974 27' Overlander
2016 16' Sport
Tioga , Florida
I checked last night and found no new tubes or signs of the termites. I thought about the bug bomb option. I have a friend that owns a Pest Control Company here in
Gainesville and I talked with him this morning. I am going to see if I can find any evidence of them this evening inside the trailer. I have never dropped the belly pan, I would imagine that's a major undertaking?

Adam
acbolton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belly pan, infestation, pesticide