RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #1

2014 22' FB Sport
Keller , Texas
Lightbulb Temperature Chart for a new traveling AS owner.

I am still traveling regularly in my new 2015 22fb Sport (Myrtle the Turtle she has my house on her back) . I am Not savvy regarding the winterizing. I would like a chart that gives me guidance on when I should do what. Ie.. the temps are getting down in the 30ís high 20ís I make sure I keep my furnace on at least 60 degrees and keep Cabints open. At what point should I do more. Iím have been reading through the posts (for weeks now) and I just not clear on the different variances. I would like to stay functional for as long as I can. ( my grandson lives 1200 miles away.... ). Has anyone done this ? Kind of a check list.

They make the check list for what to wear in various temps for running and cycling if you have seen that, itís what Iím hoping for.
JudyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Tell us more.

Are you asking about when you need to fully winterize because you will be stationary?
Do you plan to travel during winter and want advice on that to avoid freezing pipes?
Or are you asking about how to camp comfortably in colder weather?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
JudyLynn,
It’s a little more complicated than that. The goal is to keep water from freezing and damaging the pipes. Heat flows from warm to cold at different rates as conditions vary. Water must give up a lot of energy to freeze. So:
Is your trailer protected from the wind? Is the sun shining on it? Is the water heater running? Do you have it on shore power (to allow a unit heater or the water heater to run, without draining the propane and losing that protection)? How long does it take you to get to the trailer if the weather does something unexpected? (Is it parked near to your house?) Can you get by without using water in it? (Jug water) How much risk can you tolerate?
Best is to drain the water completely through the low point drains. This leaves the pump at risk from residual water, but it is inside the belly, somewhat protected, and probably good into the mid 20’s for a day or two. It sounds like you don’t want to add the pink stuff. If you’ve done a throrough job draining, this is not absolutely necessary.
Bottom line: Most forum members don’t want to offer advice that would cause you grief, and would err on the safe side: Winterize at 32 F, the freezing point of water. Beyond that, it’s all a compromise between convenience and risk.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
There are many threads describing steps people take in winter weather while the trailer is in use.

I can summarize what I have read and taken and now use to keep our trailer from having freeze issues. You may want to turn this into a chart and share it.

32-46 lows

Stop using Heat pump unless outside humidity is very low (dew point less than 22 degrees)
Use a 750 W portable heater or electric blankets.

If no shore power, the inverter and electric blankets will take 25% or more battery capacity in one night, so battery replenishing must be considered and perhaps the propane furnace is a better option. keep the temperature as low as tolerable to conserve propane.

25-32 low

Disconnect city water and drain hose, leave any valves open, shake water out of any connectors, fittings, regulators, etc.

Drain water from outdoor shower hose, remove and store. Pack compartment with bubble wrap.

Add bubble wrap or other insulation to ceiling fans and sky lights.

On shore power, or not, same heating plan as before, but don't use heat pump. Keep inside temperature at least 45 degrees.

While on the road for more than 3 hours run the furnace at 40-45 degrees. Stop every hour to check temperature.

15-25 Low

Manage humidity with a dehumidifier or keeping a window open when in use.

Skirt the trailer

Insulate waste water pipe and valve handles

Insulate Water inlet pipe fittings

Insulate windows, Bubble wrap behind the shades works nicely

Add bubble wrap to AC inlets and outlets. Painters tape works well.

Put pads under throw rugs especially in the front and rear of trailer.

Use furnace partially at least to keep tanks warm. If tanks get slushy add one gallon hot water or increase furnace use.

Do not let tanks get more than 70% full.

Let me know if you want advice for under 15, it is not for the faint at heart.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #5

2014 22' FB Sport
Keller , Texas
Piggy Bank
1) No not stationary ( that sounds like longer then a week)
2) Yes, I want to be able to travel and have as much use of my trailer as possible.
a) so traveling down the road how to care for the pipes and such.
B) then when I get to my destination, (like a week or so at one place.
3) so I guess b) is yes on how to be comfortable while camping in cold weather.
JudyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I addressed traveling by suggesting leaving propane and furnace on at 40-45 F and stopping every hour to check on it. I should have also said to start with the water heater hot, tanks at about 25% each and each time you stop run half gallon of cold water and take its temperature should be above 38 degrees run the hot water, make sure it is still hot pour 1/2 gallon hot down the toilet too. If hot is not hot, run the water heater while stopped for 15 min.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Okay so going below 15 F starts to get challenging.

A skirt alone is not enough the skirt needs some insulation or at least 6 inches of dead air.

The spare tire area is not insulated. Add insulation in the spare tire area.

Humidity is a major problem now, a dehumidifier is almost a must for novice winter campers.

The Airstream insulation is beyond its limit so fittings near the outer shell start to freeze and need more insulation support. Fresh inlet, Fresh tank fill, Black water flush, Shower, low point drain valves and extensions, fresh water drain all need insulation.

Since below 25 you should be using exclusively the fresh tank by filling it to 70% from time to time then putting insulation back in the inlet compartment.

Check fresh water temperature regularly, make sure it is well above 38 F.

Check the pump strainer for signs of freezing.

Sewer dump will now start building Ice. You may need to use a hair dryer to thaw it. Add insulation so it does not freeze so much.

Inside walls are now below or near freezing in places.

If you have blankets and tarps put them on the roof.

Below 0 is only for the winter experienced. Get the Heck out of there or winterize and get a hotel.

Below -10 is not possible with an Airstream unless you are the best of the best.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Heated hose

Thanks BayouBiker for some great tips!

I would also like to add that when we are stationary, we use a heated water hose by Camco.

This is a very informative thread.

Lisa

https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
Full-time since July 31, 2017
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Bottom line: ... Winterize at 32 F, the freezing point of water. Beyond that, itís all a compromise between convenience and risk.
As quoted, that is pretty well it; at 32F water freezes and does damage, so if you want to maintain water in your piping and tanks, you need to ensure it does not drop to 32F. Most of us don't want to risk it so we blow out the lines, and in the case where there are spots where there would be some water left, we pump antifreeze in the system for good measure (except for the hot water tank which is drained separately and disconnected from the piping with its bypass valve).
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Kansas City

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I addressed traveling by suggesting leaving propane and furnace on at 40-45 F and stopping every hour to check on it. I should have also said to start with the water heater hot, tanks at about 25% each and each time you stop run half gallon of cold water and take its temperature should be above 38 degrees run the hot water, make sure it is still hot pour 1/2 gallon hot down the toilet too. If hot is not hot, run the water heater while stopped for 15 min.
Brian,

We are headed to Southern California/Phoenix AZ first week of January. Our first night stay will be Kansas City where the average low for January is 18 and average high is 38. We will only spend one night at these temps. The trailer will remain winterized until we reach Oklahoma City. I read your post above regarding bubble wrapping windows etc. Are you talking more long term, or should we manage ok in a 25FB fro one evening with two kids without additional insulation? I can run a de-humidifier if necessary. I will have two full tanks of propane, it wont be the end of the world if I need to crank the furnace for one night.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
My experience with camping in the winter is where it goes down into the low 20ís sometimes at night. But back to 40 or warmer during the day. Think a cold snap in Alamogordo or Asheville. Iíve had success with taking these steps between dinner and the movie. Disconnect from city water and put the hose in a storage compartment, run the furnace and water heater, and open all lower cabinet doors. If itís going to be much colder than 20 for one or two nights I winterize. Kind of a hassle but doesnít really take that long. Keep a jug of water for flushing the toilet. Wait for a warm spell to dump the holding tanks and donít let em get too full. Itís a good excuse to haul a small compressor and a couple of gallons of antifreeze in the truck bed.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Shelburne , Vermont
Dear Bayou Biker and fellow forum dwellers,
Peter and I are about to drive from VT to pick up our new Bambi 16RB and continue from Colonial to San Diego. After studying the forums for months now re:winter travel, we are SO grateful for your synopsis at each temp level. Newbie chant here- CA to see our grandbaby or Bust ( and please donít bust🙏&#127995. Weíre indebted to all of you for your generous input and will stay connected as we make our way. Please DO weigh in with route and boon docking suggestions. Wave if you see our Q8 towing a Bambi 16 with VT plates!

Lisa & Peter
Have Doula will Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Lots of knowledge here, although it depends on the ground ( if the ground is already frozen or your in Florida and a hard artic front drops down for 2 days . temp and clouds\sunshine coverage for the day.
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not travel in really cold weather. You could winterize the trailer and stay in motels when you are on the move and it is really cold. Not going to be a lot of campgrounds open anyway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We are winterized when it gets cold...if we travel, we carry 5 gals of water in a plastic container..and make due...until we arrive in warm climates...not good to be caught away from home when cold..we have traveled with the furnace on...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #16
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Once you go below freezing for a couple of hours you really need shore power, and even then it will be hard to be comfortable. If it is going to be that cold pull out the map and head somewhere warmer.... Camping should be enjoyed not endured.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #17
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
Managing cold temps

Kat here in northern Michigan. We're retired and traveled the last two winters [staying home this winter because of covid.] Most Michiganders head south long before it gets really cold. Some with grand kids [winterize their trailers], wait until after the holidays, watch for a break in the weather when the roads are clear of snow and dry, then bug out. They drive south 2-3 days staying in motels until they can de-winterize.
trailerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:09 PM   #18
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
Kat here in northern Michigan. Part 2. Last November the front end of our GMC was hit driving across Phoenix in a rainstorm. Luckily, we were able to drive away uninjured, and the AS was not damaged. Because my sister lives near Prescott, we opted to go there to stay and get the truck fixed at Findley GMC [topnotch service there btw.] Temps at her house were 40-50 days and below freezing every night. We lived in our trailer in her yard. Because the west is dry, humidity wasn't an issue. The furnace was set to 47F every night when we went to bed [warmed that up with electric blanket before we crawled in], good comforter and blankets-toasty. Small space heater to supplement in the morning and evenings. 20A plug in [needed to run the furnace every night.] Water tap and 4" septic pipe nearby. We always use our water tank, never city water so no frozen hoses. We used up 1 30lb tank of propane a week under those conditions, about the same amount of $$$ as heating the house in Michigan December-January. Sunny days kept the trailer warm till late afternoon. We were there December and January. I reimbursed my sister the utilities we used and she was so grateful to have us there for the holidays.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #19
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
Kat here in northern Michigan. Part 3 To JudyLynn: It looks like you are in the DFW area? You have wheels, go south. After our truck was repaired we left Prescott and went back south to Yuma/Quartzite/Parker area. We have 400w solar and 2 AGM bats. We boondocked in BLM Long-Term Visitor Areas in the desert most of that time until mid-March when we headed home to Michigan as covid was ramping up in the spring. Much lower elevation, much warmer [60-70 days, 40-50 nights] so no shore power needed. Conserved water [39gal fresh tank] and only hit the fresh water/dump/trash station/grocery once a week. Quiet, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, wildlife, endless hiking.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #20
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
To: Have Doula Will Travel
Have Colonial winterize your unit if needed before you pick it up, and get instructions on how to de-winterize when you get south. Check out national weather maps daily for nighttime temperatures and storm systems moving through to pick your route. For boondocking, join Boondocker's Welcome, Harvest Hosts & WBCCI [courtesy parking for fellow AS members.] Check out freecampsites.net and campendium.com. Those will get you started. If traveling on the interstates, go south to I-10 which will take you most of the way across to San Diego. Escapees [club] has club RV parks with reasonable rates, several close to I-10 and nicely spaced along the I-10 route in TX, NM, AZ. You can boondock at those parks if hookups are full, or you don't need to plug in, for member price of $5-$12ish [parks set their own rates] with access to water, dump station, showers, laundry. Some let non-members stay. We use also Escapees for mail forwarding when we travel in the winter. Good luck and safe travels.