Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

New York , New York
Storage questions - pls help! (newbie!)

Hi all! We just purchased our first RV (a 23ft FBT Airstream!). We live in NY (City!) and are very confused on how to store out trailer. Grateful for any help and have to say reading this forum over the past months has been super helpful! thank you.

Question 1 - We want to visit campgrounds this summer and have reservations at two and plan on leaving our trailer in storage most weeks as we will be making long weekend trips (for the most part) up to the campgrounds. Is this wise/ok? Anything we should be concerned about in leaving our new trailer with campground storages? One of the campgrounds is a Jellystone and they say they haul the trailer off the site and into storage for you...

Question 2 - We are trying to find a temperature controlled covered storage with power... seems very hard to find around anywhere in NY state! If we can't find one with power we could not run fans, dehumidifiers etc. Are these essential to keep our trailer happy and fresh during winter?

Thank you again!
thomaspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you do some reading in this subforum, where you have posted your thread, you will find a lot of information to help you.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f458/

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 05-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Question 2 - We are trying to find a temperature controlled covered storage with power... seems very hard to find around anywhere in NY state! If we can't find one with power we could not run fans, dehumidifiers etc. Are these essential to keep our trailer happy and fresh during winter?
Your new Airstream is meant to be towed on roads and used outside, so it is perfectly capable of surviving the elements. Covered storage is helpful, but not required if you take other measures (protect tires, maintain roof and windows, etc). Climate-controlled storage is not needed at all. You will still have a fair amount of annual preventative maintenance no matter where/how you store it.

I find the best compromise is covered storage (not indoors) with an electrical outlet to keep the batteries appropriately charged when not in use.

Congratulations on the new purchase!
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Thomaspp
Having had our trailer both in Texas and in Illinois for many years, I’ll provide a bit of perspective. Covered storage in my view is of great benefits in both climates. Keeping the sun, ice, and snow off during non-use should reduce some wear to the exterior.

Indoor storage further north was of much more appreciated. My Chicagoland indoor storage was not heated but it did keep the temperatures a good 10 degrees or so warmer when out of the winds. Also made doing winter projects a bit more accessible and comfortable; no clearing snow to get to the trailer.

I appreciate your challenge of finding storage facilities. It took me almost a year of searching in IL. When I did find it, I paid a bunch. Try looking a private airfields for hanger space or industrial parks a truck docks. I parked in an enclosed truck dock and befriended business owners there. They watched over my trailer.

I remain envious of those who have the ability to park at their residence or on their own property. This would be my ultimate objective.

Now, off to my storage facility for a little afternoon project.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
Winterize

Because you live in a colder winter climate one of the most important things you can do is make sure you know how to properly winterize your Airstream before freezing weather sets in.

We loaned our older 1968 airstream to my sister-in-law up in Idaho (we live in So. Calif.) and she didn't winterize it. It had copper piping which expanded and burst in many locations, some of which were totally inaccessible. She took it to the Airstream dealer in Boise Idaho, and they charged her almost $1,000 for repairs, and the plumbing failed the first time out (they used clear plastic tubing for the piping repairs.)

The estimate from one dealer here in So. Calif. to repipe was $3,000. So, I have it in the back yard, with our other Airstream, and am in the process of repiping it myself with PEX and Sharkbite fittings. Also replacing the water heater as it's old, and the Boise Airstream dealer didn't secure it's cover when they did the repairs, so the cover was lost somewhere between Boise and the Oregon coast.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Godfrey , Illinois

Have you considered boatyards as possible storage facilities. They can get a bit crowded in the winter, but as the seasons warm up and the boats go back in the water some will have space for your unit.
If you found a campground that's willing to store your trailer, I would think they would know what they were doing.
Relaytest is offline   Reply With Quote