Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
Storage Far from Home

We are considering buying a 25' new Airstream. We live on 4 acres in NE Pennsylvania but due to zoning restrictions we cannot store the trailer on our property for more than 2 days. We are considering storing the trailer and perhaps the tow vehicle in St. Augustine Florida and use this location as a base for our travels. One reason is that we found an excellent new and clean storage location there with indoor and covered storage which we have been unable to find up here. Northern Florida also seems to be a good base for our travels in the winter, fall and spring when we would use the trailer. Summers are already taken up with a beach house. We realize that in certain years we may take the trailer north for a season or two to travel in Maine or Canada.

Does anyone else do this? By "this" I mean store their trailer somewhat far from their home and then fly/drive to the trailer for use. If so, how has it worked over time?

Thank you
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
With 4 acres, are you in an equestrian type community? You’re not able to put up a barn or modify an existing one to work? I’m sure you’ve thought that through, just asking.

Big concern for me would be the trouble of packing/starting a trip and it’s a day of travel to the trailer.

You’re dedicated to consider the scenario, and while it’s definitely an improvement over not having an Airstream (ha!), I am not sure I could do it.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'm considering the same thing. Move the trailer south form Minnesota before the roads get icy.

I'm thinking about North Carolina as a southern base of operation. I could leave the tow vehicle there also. I would need covered, preferably enclosed storage. Near an airport.

Any recommendations?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
It is common in many areas to not allow external storage of a coach. It is uncommon with a four acre lot to not allow the construction of a structure that would allow inside storage of a coach and the use of that structure. Very odd.

With respect to your question. Yes folks do it. The standard approach suggested is to find a storage facility near an airport. Best is a location on a commute route with low cost fares. The other approach is to purchase a lot in a location that is a good base for places you want to travel. Ideal is if alternatively it is a good destination for short getaway visits.

Hope you work it out. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
With all do respect; whatever happened to all the these rights and freedoms that Americans like to flaunt to the world.....does it just extend to guns?

I have a 31' motorhome in my driveway year around in the center of town, along with my motorcycle trailer; on 1/3 rd of an acre. You have 11 times more land than I, and you can't park for more than two days? I've heard of your HOA systems, but this is kinda ridiculous.

Just saying, but I'd be pissed.

Goodluck
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I like to tinker, which includes doing regular maintenance and making minor improvements on our AS. We store it a few minutes away at the storage lot that is part of our development, and it's no problem to park it in front of the house overnight before a trip, or during the day to wash it or work on it. Unless you would always be paying someone else to do that kind of thing, I can't imagine doing that with it being stored that far away. As mentioned, it may be better than not having an AS, but it doesn't seem practical to me. I suppose it might be to some folks, and I guess people do that kind of thing with boats all the time.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
While this is certainly an option, for most of us it's really handy to be able to bring the trailer home the day before a trip to give it a light cleaning (if needed), load in clothes, food, get the fridge cold for 24 hours, make sure batteries are charge, etc. Being limited to what you can pack (if flying) would be a pain to me, but then I'm not faced with your situation. Also there is the issue of battery care/maintenance unless the storage place in FL has power available for you to use a trickle charger. Leaving your tow vehicle there doubles those issues, and cost of storage, and adds airfares. Driving all that way would be daunting.

Lastly, the ability to take shorter, unplanned trips in your Airstream more locally would be lost. That's one of the great pleasure of owning one. Traveling all the way to Florida would seriously limit your use and enjoyment.

Assuming there are no options to store at home on your property such as building a garage, surely you can find a year-round storage facility closer to home?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
With all do respect; whatever happened to all the these rights and freedoms that Americans like to flaunt to the world.....does it just extend to guns?
I hesitated to take the bait and take this thread off the rails but this has nothing to do with freedoms as Americans...there are no federal laws impinging on one's right to store an RV on one's property. In this case it's simply HOA rules that are agreed to by the member/landowners. Suggesting that it somehow is counter to our rights and freedoms as Americans is a stretch. It would be ridiculous to know the rules but then be 'pissed' when they are enforced, if one made the decision to live in this community/subdivision and abide by its rules.

We do enjoy very broad rights and freedoms as far as the Federal govt. is concerned, as do you. I'm sure there are HOA restrictions in Canada as well, despite the many rights and freedoms you also enjoy as a Canadian.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Hmm, I would have thought that 4 acres would be sufficient to discreetly park and camoflauge an Airstream. Here, I have mine in the front driveway of a 1/2 acre lot in a nice suburban neighborhood that also has a 2 day restriction, and I plan to have it here for 6 months or so while I'm working on it. The zoning says that it should be behind the house's frontline or in the rear of the property, but that would destroy my lawn if I were to move it during the rains of Fall or Spring.

I had a chat with all of my neighbors to explain what I was doing, and invited them over to look at the sad state of the AS and what I was doing. I also had an off-record chat with a local police sergeant who told me that so long as nobody complains, that the police have better things to do than to chase trailer storage criminals. The neighbors do see me most every day and see that I'm working on it, and I talk with them. And just yesterday the mayor waved as he drove by.

Have you ever thought of discussing things with your neighbors as to what would satisfy them? After that, did you go to the local government with a plan in hand to ask for a zoning variance, and maybe with letters of acquiescence / support from your neighbors?

My local government is very responsive to residents' needs and desires, if they are reasonable and the neighbors are informed and on board.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #10
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
We have never stored our "Toaster" on our home property, and it has worked out fine for us. We took a very long around the country trip a few years ago and went from Ohio to Seattle then stored it there for a couple of months then flew home to Chicago, and left it and the truck at a nice storage lot. Picked it up a couple of months later and took our time driving down to California and the coast, ended up in Tucson and loved the camping so much we ended up getting a winter place here. We have a large lot but it is all desert with a narrow windy driveway so our Toaster is stored at covered storage about 20 min away. Not a big deal at all. It certainly is convenient to have it at the house but it is not a big deal to pack it up the day before (except for the fridge) then drive over early the day we plan to go camping and haul it away. Having it down south can work for you, it is s bit like having a cottage. Just give yourself an extra day each end of a trip for set up and packing away and you will be fine. When we had the Toaster out in Seattle we would camp very close to the storage site in a state park and take a day or two to stock it up and clean it and do the necessary shakedown then off on our way. You could even park it in different places different years, say florida one year, Tucson another year as there are many great parks within a day's drive from here. Southern Texas might work too. This would save a lot of boring driving by shifting it around a few times. You will be able to see a lot more of the country and decide what area you like best.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Storage Far from Home

I had my HOA complain to me about my parking my trailer on my property for a couple a few days before and after a trip. I have ignored them for about three years since and still do what I have always done.

Does that make me a bad person?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nope. You are giving this the attention it deserves....

Our HOA understands that people with AS work on them. Not a peep until after Thanksgiving when they desire trailers, boats, etc to be out of the street. They show up again around March. No huhu
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:51 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
We are considering buying a 25' new Airstream. We live on 4 acres in NE Pennsylvania but due to zoning restrictions we cannot store the trailer on our property for more than 2 days. We are considering storing the trailer and perhaps the tow vehicle in St. Augustine Florida and use this location as a base for our travels.
You might consider joining WBCCI and the Pensacola Unit, and storing your Airstream at their Unit-owned Airstream-only campground at Mystic Springs Cove. (http://wbcci.org/airstream-parks/cla...c-springs-cove) The park, unusually for campgrounds, is closed in June, July, and August, but since you plan to do the beach house thing in the summer, that shouldn't inconvenience you too much. But the rest of the year, you could visit your Airstream anytime, and it would always be ready to use on-site without towing it anywhere, or ready to tow off-site if you want to go elsewhere for that trip.

But I wouldn't store the tow vehicle with the trailer. Engines suffer from neglect, insurance is paid year-round, fuel goes stale after a few months, and I think you would be better served to keep your tow vehicle at home where it can be used for other things in the meantime. And especially if you store at Mystic Springs Cove— or any other Airstream-only park— you won't necessarily even need to take your tow vehicle with you if you just want to use the trailer on-site. But when you do, then you could drive down to pick up your trailer for that particular trip, save on airfare, and carry a lot more camping and travel gear from home than you could ever take on a plane.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:46 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Markdoane, I don't live in NC, but I store my AS in Knoxville, TN. There I get covered storage, partly conditioned space (no AC, but never gets below 50 in winter) and it only costs me $5/mo to plug in a battery tender. Nice folks. Place is called Phoenix Conversions. Knoxville is centrally located for southern/eastern travel, and no hurricanes!
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I'm considering the same thing. Move the trailer south form Minnesota before the roads get icy.

I'm thinking about North Carolina as a southern base of operation. I could leave the tow vehicle there also. I would need covered, preferably enclosed storage. Near an airport.

Any recommendations?
Check out the storage facilities around Lake Jordan (Raleigh, NC area). We keep our 26U FC at "The Extra Garage". There are three facilities within 6 miles of each other. They offer fully enclosed units. 30 minutes from Raleigh Durham International Airport. Each stall has 110V and each site has air and water. Ours in TEG III and we have ice and ethanol free gas (for the boaters) in addition to an air compressor for tires and wash areas. Very secure and well run.

There are numerous other facilities in the area too, and "Hwy 64 RV Storage" has actually just started construction on a new expanded site.

By the way, camping at Lake Jordan is actually pretty good. Check it out or PM me for more details.
Lil Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Had some friends in the military stationed in Alaska. They kept their RV in covered storage in Las Vegas during winter and would fly down on long weekends and holidays to use it. Each spring they made a long trip to Vegas to drive it back to AK for the summer season. In Fall they did the reverse. He never had to winterize it either during the 6 years they spent up there.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote