Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
STORAGE - A Couple Questions for Ya'll

I found a really nice, reasonably priced outdoor but covered storage place close to home here. It has a 15A 120 outlet. The storage facility doesn't really want folks running their AC or other electricity hogging appliances all the time, which I understand, but using some is acceptable. Now, what is the best way to keep electricity going to the camper. From their supplied power through my 50A service? Or should I just connect directly to the battery via a battery tender? I'm thinking the only thing I need power for is to keep the batteries charged, unless ya'll can think of anything else. If I do run through the 50A service, what do I need to turn on/off inside? What position for my battery disconnect?

Next. What do you use for securing your camper when in storage. This place has a 10' wall all around it and 15 cameras. But, how would ya'll lock it up? Tongue lock? maybe a boot on the wheels? A cable lock? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Personally, I would disconnect the batteries by pulling a cable lead and use your basic Battery Tender to keep the batteries happy. Take your expensive (and highly filchable) 50amp cable home and stash it safely.

You’re in Daytona and in covered storage so crack the vents about an inch and carry on.

As to securing it — I just have a tongue lock. If professionals want it, they’ll get it. The tongue lock is to convince the opportunists to move on to an easier target.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
I agree about disconnecting the batteries. How long will you go between using the trailer? If the batteries are fully charged and you disconnect all negative leads so that there is nothing to drain them, they should be fine for 2-3 months.

I would advise at least a tongue jack. A wheel lock couldn't hurt, and should provide additional deterrent both in storage and while leaving it while camping.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Personally, I would disconnect the batteries by pulling a cable lead and use your basic Battery Tender to keep the batteries happy. Take your expensive (and highly filchable) 50amp cable home and stash it safely.

You’re in Daytona and in covered storage so crack the vents about an inch and carry on.

As to securing it — I just have a tongue lock. If professionals want it, they’ll get it. The tongue lock is to convince the opportunists to move on to an easier target.
Thanks, I like all your ideas, I'll be using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I agree about disconnecting the batteries. How long will you go between using the trailer? If the batteries are fully charged and you disconnect all negative leads so that there is nothing to drain them, they should be fine for 2-3 months.

I would advise at least a tongue jack. A wheel lock couldn't hurt, and should provide additional deterrent both in storage and while leaving it while camping.

I'm hoping to be camping at least once a month.

I do like using the battery tenders, I have used them with good results for years, and besides they are made in the next town over. Shop local.

I see both you mentioned the tongue locks. What kind is everyone using/like?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I store my Airstream in a similar facility. I use a Proven Industries coupler lock. I connect to the 20A service at the facility using a dog bone adapter and my Airstream 30A power cord. I set the Airstream power system to “store”, and I really only use the power to keep my batteries charged.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My storage provides 30 amp service and many folks run an A/C and/or a residential fridge 24/7.
For the Airstream I think the best solution is a battery disconnect, and then a charger on the batteries. I use the NoCoGenius 3500 that has a "float" stage.
Of the six Battery Tenders I've owned how many have failed? Six.

I use the Proven Industries lock, plus the yard has a 10' fence, code gate, and best of all, people that belong there.
What self respecting thief would steal an Airstream when 80% of the spaces have 40' motorhomes in them?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
STORAGE - A Couple Questions for Ya'll

I use an awesome storage facility. It’s brand new in Gainesville, GA. It has dump station, wash area, vacuum, air, covered and the best security I’ve seen.

I have 50 amp hook up & leave the Airstream connected with everything off. I rent two back to back 40’ spaces & park my AS in the middle so I’m fully covered in both directions.

Leaving it connected to shore power keeps the batteries charged and my smart app working to monitor everything.

Being covered - the solar panels don’t see the sun.

I also don’t disconnect the batteries because we use the AS every weekend or worse case every other.

I have a 2021 and no risk of overcharging with the setup.

I have a Proven coupler lock. I don’t use anything else. There are six other AS’s there and about two dozen class As that are worth a lot more than mine. Hoping the thieves choose those. Lol
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:11 AM   #8
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Lock It & Leave It

Remove the batteries and take them home. Buy a Deltran Battery tender four bank and charge them. I use a Proven Industries coupler lock also.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBelle33 View Post
I use an awesome storage facility. It’s brand new in Gainesville, GA. It has dump station, wash area, vacuum, air, covered and the best security I’ve seen.

I have 50 amp hook up & leave the Airstream connected with everything off. I rent two back to back 40’ spaces & park my AS in the middle so I’m fully covered in both directions.

Leaving it connected to shore power keeps the batteries charged and my smart app working to monitor everything.

Being covered - the solar panels don’t see the sun.

I also don’t disconnect the batteries because we use the AS every weekend or worse case every other.

I have a 2021 and no risk of overcharging with the setup.

I have a Proven coupler lock. I don’t use anything else. There are six other AS’s there and about two dozen class As that are worth a lot more than mine. Hoping the thieves choose those. Lol
That sounds awesome.
What's the name of it?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
City , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
That sounds awesome.

What's the name of it?

https://www.sunshineonlanier.com/

Sunshine RV Storage
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How well you lock down your AS depends *very* much on the neighborhood. There are some areas that no matter what you do there is a real risk. My answer is: don't store there. Anyplace that is reasonable should not require a lot of lockdown. Look at the other trailers that are there. If they are all growing multiple clamps on every wheel, that's not a good sign. Ideally you'd like to see none of that in your "survey" of the property.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Motorhomes are magnets for thievery and quite honestly the draw for thieves is not the vehicle itself. It usually is the goodies inside. Those big storage locations on motorhomes contain a treasure of electronics and other personal belongings which are much more easily sold and stolen than trying to take a vehicle itself. My trailer is spartan compared to a motorhome.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
For a lock, I’m using this. $40.

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...coupler-locks/
Old 05-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You can use a 50amp to 15amp converter and regular extension cord to plug in.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plug-Ada...nt=30%20-%2060
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I use both a wheel and tongue locks even stored in a secure RV lot. Our trailer, a 2012 FC with the factory installed OEM single stage charger inverter. I have always left the trailer plugged in when stored to keep batteries charged and never had the problem of cooking batteries so often talked about. My suggestion, try leaving the Airstream plugged in and if you do cook a pair of the cheap interstate batts, install a multi stage charger, or go through the connect/disconnect batt drill all the time.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Well, I will disagree about disconnecting the batteries. You have a new Airstream with a multi-stage converter (which is, among other things, the battery charger). It should not cook the batteries like the older converters. I just leave my trailer plugged in at the storage facility. I bought an adapter that goes from 50 amp to a 15/20 plug and just use a regular extension cord. Much easier than dealing with the 50 amp cord. Also, I use a cheap surge protector. This does not draw much power and hopefully would be acceptable.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
bought an adapter that goes from 50 amp to a 15/20 plug and just use a regular extension cord. Much easier than dealing with the 50 amp cord.
I like this idea, but where does one find it in the Smart-plug configuration (50a to 15a)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	smart.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	395563
Old 05-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #18
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
We are in AZ and our covered storage has no power. We park back in the shade and put our solar panel out at the edge of our space. It has kept the batteries nicely topped up. We have a lock on our hitch, but honestly, many of the rigs around us are huge expensive motor homes and the sites is only accessible 7AM to 7PM and is bristling with cameras. So far so good...
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We store our trailer at a facility that also functions as a police impound lot. Folks do sometimes drop in to retrieve bags of drugs left in the wreck of their car. Oddly enough the local cops seem to roll up just as they walk away with that bag .... Wonder what all those cameras are for ?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
The Smart Plug 50a to 15a ponytail is as rare as hens teeth. Call etrailer and get on the back order list with me. They are shipping first week of June. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than the 20’ 50a cable and you don’t have to wrestle the python to put it away.

EDIT: Also, I plan to leave the batteries connected and the trailer plugged in for short term storage (a few weeks max). My buddy occupies the space next to us and one of us can go out there and flip on the refrigerators a day or 2 ahead of time if we plan to pick up the trailer on the way out of town. We camp together a lot. I'll put the trailer in "store" mode via the inside switch if we won't be using the trailer for more than 3-4 weeks. I'm in the SE so we camp 10-11 months out of the year. I've never removed/disconnected the batteries while in storage except with the disconnect switch, even when we didn't have power at the storage site. If I was planning on leaving it for over a month or so, I'd probably physically disconnect the battery via one of the leads.
BT2513 is offline   Reply With Quote