Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Soft Cover for my polished G/T?

I know I've seen posts on this subject, but I must not be using the right search terms. I did search.

What has been your experience with a soft cover for your A/S? I've heard that they leave dark marks. Is this correct? Is that worse than the weather impacts? Weather here is mostly sun, rain and frost but no snow.

I'm about to finish polishing mine, and would like to protect it. My housing development frowns on the metal type shade covers. Any ideas or suggestions.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Completely rid your mind of EVER using a soft cover on your Airsteam. It will abraid the finish and turn it black everywhere that there is the slightest movement caused by wind. Either park it out in the open or build/rent you a hard storage shed,barn or warehouse. Soft covers will also mar and permanently scratch your front window rock guards if you have rock guards. This has been discussed many, many times on the forum. The advise has always been the same. Don't do it.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
Completely rid your mind of EVER using a soft cover on your Airsteam. It will abraid the finish and turn it black everywhere that there is the slightest movement caused by wind. Either park it out in the open or build/rent you a hard storage shed,barn or warehouse. Soft covers will also mar and permanently scratch your front window rock guards if you have rock guards. This has been discussed many, many times on the forum. The advise has always been the same. Don't do it.
GStephens
Hi, I have heard so many times on this forum, not to use any cover on Airstreams. And since then, I noticed in all of the adds for RV covers, they never show or list an Airstream! Airstream does not recommend it and cover manufactures don't try to sell it. Mutual agreement?

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks for the input, sounds unanimous.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
GStephens
This make sense on one hand, and I have heard similar statements before, but I also have heard (and seen posts here) where people have used soft covers without incident. What gives? Is the difference in clearcoat vs polished? Someone with personal experience please respond. I know there are very knowlegeable people here who have seen this one way or another.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If it's a soft cover over a frame that hiolds it off the trailer, no problem. The concerns are when anything lays right on the aluminum...it scratches it. Even if it is the softest cloth, the dirt that accumaltes scractes the polish job, the black marks are actually abraded aluminum risidue.

We don't cover ours and haven't developed any leaks and we do live where ther is freeze/thaw snow and severe sun. We hope to build a cover soon because obviously any reduction in exposure is better, but it hasn't happened yet. We also have only seen minimal effect on our polishing effort in the last two+ years...it still looks newly polished, even though we haven't touched it with anything but water.

If you put a cover directly on it, you will be sorry.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
We have read do not cover your Airstream. It is Fall here in New York State.
Leaves are falling on the roof of our GT. And then there will be snow. It is parked next to our house. We thought we would try and locate a cover that lets air in and can cause circulation? I don't understand what a soft cloth is.Please help. Thanks Anne
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Inman
We have read do not cover your Airstream. It is Fall here in New York State.
Leaves are falling on the roof of our GT. And then there will be snow. It is parked next to our house. We thought we would try and locate a cover that lets air in and can cause circulation? I don't understand what a soft cloth is.Please help. Thanks Anne
It is a soft cloth cover that completely covers the trailer, both top and sides. There is no frame, it sits on the trailer.
That is the part that folks have issues with - it should sit on some sort of frame so that the cloth does not touch the aluminum.
Dave