Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Single Axle Trailer Storage

I have a 2012 22' Sport with a single axle. It's spending it's first winter in garage storage. After reading the various posts here on airforums it seems like I should take some of the weight off the axle by getting it up on jack stands. Seems like there is some debate on whether to put the jack stands on the "official" Airstream designated jack pads or the axle mounting plate. Can anyone comment? Also can someone tell me where the axle mounting plate is? I've attached a picture of one side of trailer looking from back to front. I've attached a piece of red electrical tape where I think the axle mounting plate is. Is the red tape in the correct spot? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	201525  
chaeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaeha View Post
I have a 2012 22' Sport with a single axle. It's spending it's first winter in garage storage. After reading the various posts here on airforums it seems like I should take some of the weight off the axle by getting it up on jack stands. Seems like there is some debate on whether to put the jack stands on the "official" Airstream designated jack pads or the axle mounting plate. Can anyone comment? Also can someone tell me where the axle mounting plate is? I've attached a picture of one side of trailer looking from back to front. I've attached a piece of red electrical tape where I think the axle mounting plate is. Is the red tape in the correct spot? Thanks!
The Airstream "jack pad" designation, is for stabilizing only, not lifting.

Install the jack stands on the axle mounting plate, just rearward of the axle tube.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

The Airstream "jack pad" designation, is for stabilizing only, not lifting.

Install the jack stands on the axle mounting plate, just rearward of the axle tube.

Andy
Well this is new to me, but then what do I know? So Should you store a single axle up on jacks? What's the logic - to eliminate a "set" in the rubber of the axle?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I used the axle mounting plate to lift the trailer with my floor jack. Then I placed the stands under the axle tube just inboard and right next to where the tube goes through the axle mounting plate
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I've attached a piece of red electrical tape where I think the axle mounting plate is. Is the red tape in the correct spot? Thanks!
Not a bad idea to attach reflective tape permanently at the correct spot. Being that it's a single-axle trailer, whenever you have to change a tire, you'll need to use a jack. Reflective tape allows you to find the correct spot easily by flashlight if necessary.

And if you need to call roadside assistance, you can tell the service tech, "Put the jack where the tape is."
Old 12-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
Well this is new to me, but then what do I know? So Should you store a single axle up on jacks? What's the logic - to eliminate a "set" in the rubber of the axle?
A single torsion axle has nothing to do with how you treat the axle.

Long term storage method of any trailer that uses torsion axles, is the same.

Removing all the weight from the axles, is the best.

But still keep in mind that the rubber rods must be exercised every once in a while, in order to stay alive and well.

Andy
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
Thanks everyone for your replies. Still want to be sure of the exact location of the 'axle mounting plate' before I put a bottle jack or floor jack on it. Can anyone comment on the photo I attached at the beginning of the post. Is where I stuck the red tape the axle mounting plate?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
"axle mounting plate" is the vertical plate with no horizontal element to it
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Bend , Oregon
DFlores thanks! Looks like I can see the "vertical" axle mounting plate in the photo just behind what my red tape marks.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
DFlores thanks! Looks like I can see the "vertical" axle mounting plate in the photo just behind what my red tape marks.
Four bolts hold each axle in place, 2 on each side.

The "axle mounting plate" is a vertical plate that is welded to the side of the steel frame, and that the 2 5/8 inch bolts go through to hold the axle in place.

Andy
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Palmieri View Post
I used the axle mounting plate to lift the trailer with my floor jack. Then I placed the stands under the axle tube just inboard and right next to where the tube goes through the axle mounting plate
I've been told you're not supposed to support any weight on the axle tube. I lift the axle plate with a jack, and place the jackstand along the axle plate adjacent to the jack.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Jacking up a car or trailer for the winter takes the load off the tires and prevents flat spotting and fatigue. If you can let the pressure down to 10 - 20 pounds and pump them up again in the spring, so much the better.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Palmieri View Post
NEVER, EVER, place ANY jack of any kind or description, under the axle tube.

To do so, can and will cause the axle to get out of alignment.

Andy