Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Securing vent lids

We have two Airstreams, a 1986 motor home and a 1982 Limited trailer. We not “winterizing” them, but “summerizing” them, securing them against possible hurricanes down here in Baja Sur.

My question is about the covers on the ventilation fans. I do understand about the MaxAir style covers, but I am looking to secure the lids for a whole season under possible extreme conditions of wind and rain.

Our experience with the motor home is that its lids can ratchet themselves open in a wind storm. They are hinged on the forward side and lifted by a single arm on each side. I have found ways to strap them down for the season.

My question is about the lids on the trailer, which are mechanically different. One of them is hinged on the aft side and lifted by a pair of parallel arms on each side. The other two are not hinged but lifted by a scissors jack (or X-jack) arrangement on each side.

This seems more secure, less likely to ratchet themselves open in the wind. Does anyone here have experience with this particular setup? Should I just close them up and not worry about them? Or is some more drastic action called for?
JoeFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailer has one of the scissor lift ones in the front. I noticed it trying to lift when I was towing. I recently replaced that dome and it was expensive. I didnt want to see the wind tear it off or or have it let rain in while towing. My solution was to put a Maxxair vent cover over it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote