Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Thanx again

Yepper....
I turned the furnace on and lit up the water heater. Heading out this week and I have confidence with all the input that all is good.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycatcat View Post
In our 27FB, the furnace routes a bit of heat to the holding tanks. A space heater wouldn't work, since it wouldn't get any heat to the tanks.

You raise a good point. On newer Airstreams the furnace ducted to keep water lines warm, so running a portable heater in the cold is not a great idea. Better to run the furnace not a portable heater.

On the other hand many older Airstream's do not have ducted furnaces, so opening up as many of the lower cabinets doors on the outside of the trailer is a must. Does not matter as much if you run the built in furnace or a portable heater. Some older airstreams have tank heaters but they will eat batteries up fast so you need to be plugged in to use.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are running on batteries, you have a very finite amount of time you can run the furnace. Battery capacity drops when it's cold. The furnace pulls a lot of current. Shore power is a really good idea. (also checking that there is enough current available on that circuit .... I have data on this ....).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Is the water and waste piping warmed by running the furnace in older Airstreams? We have a 2008 International Ocean Breeze 19' and store it inside, but thinking of taking a quick trip with temps in the upper 20's. Are we OK as long as the furnace is running and it's warm inside?
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by marter View Post
Is the water and waste piping warmed by running the furnace in older Airstreams? We have a 2008 International Ocean Breeze 19' and store it inside, but thinking of taking a quick trip with temps in the upper 20's. Are we OK as long as the furnace is running and it's warm inside?

The plastic tanks are carried in galvanized steel boxes that are lined with expanded polystyrene insulation. Each box should have a small duct leading to it to provide warm air around the tank.

Even our 1975 was set up this way.

Some models - older tandem axle 22s come to mind - have 12v heating pads, but these are the exception.

But you asked about the water piping. Leave the closet and cupboard doors open to ensure warm air gets to all parts of the trailer.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:23 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' International
Lincoln , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF View Post
The plastic tanks are carried in galvanized steel boxes that are lined with expanded polystyrene insulation. Each box should have a small duct leading to it to provide warm air around the tank.

Even our 1975 was set up this way.

Some models - older tandem axle 22s come to mind - have 12v heating pads, but these are the exception.

But you asked about the water piping. Leave the closet and cupboard doors open to ensure warm air gets to all parts of the trailer.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. Forecast is for 28* and I figured I'd be OK.
marter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:37 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
So update from our last outing before winterizing. Right before I got to our camp spot, a rock took out our drain valve. So when I got out of the truck before I went down into the spot, water was running out of the trailer. So I told my husband we had to run back to the little town to fill up with water. My husband plugged the pipe with a sagebrush stick which swells. Flow became a drip.
Filled up with water, but seems the water pump finally decided to die. So called son for him to bring water since site was dry.
Sooooo..... now home, new water pump installed and winterized. Will see what the next year brings. All seems well despite another outing with new issues.
Never a dull moment.