Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2019 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Green Bay , Wisconsin
Attachment 318659 I store my 25' in a storage unit a 10' door. This year I purchased a Parkit 360 and putting the trailer in and out is much less stressful.
JandLSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:29 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 23' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Dunkirk , Maryland
We bought a 23' FB Flying Cloud and can't turn it around in our driveway and backing it up still would not get it where we need to park it. We bought the Trailer Valet - expensive model and it works great. We hook a electric drill up to it and move it right into place. This thing will handle up to 10,000 lbs. Worth the money to be able to have the trailer on our property.
dchysan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Personally, Mark, Seeing that device, I thought you were crazy!

After watching the videos, I want one. I am always moving my trailer in and out of my pole barn for some reason. That thing will make you go slow and accurate. I know how to back up pretty good after doing it with equipment trailers all my life. We all believe that we will never make a mistake. Yea right.

One very small mistake pays for that piece of equipment 5X over! If you've got the money, I'd go for it.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Yellowknife , Northwest Territories
My advice is always have a ground guide, especially tight spaces. Make sure you look up and the eves of the house do not contact the AS. Vehicle mirrors will add to the width consideration. My F150 has the tow package and the mirrors extend out.
NorthernAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Narrow drive

Consider an electric dolly like used for hangaring airplanes A great and manageable tool which is much easier in a confined space
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Hi, Mark,
We have a narrow driveway that takes some concentration when backing up to park.
Just a note also look up at your utility wires to the house. Are they high enough? We had to raise ours so the trailer could pass under them.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' International
Poway , California
I appreciate all the wonderful replies and ideas. I'll re-consider concrete however I have been researching paver installations and as Overstreet points out there are patio installations and driveway installations and they have completely different requirements, compacting and having the proper depth of gravel base is critical to prevent sinking.

I will certainly go slow and have spotters until I'm confident. I have backed up plenty of trailers over the years and spacial coordination is not an issue for me.

Again thank you all so much for the brainstorming ideas.

Mark
markuscis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #48
1980 Excella II

1980 31' Excella II
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Visibility

I find using a dolly or a front bumper hitch limits visibility up the sides of the trailer. I use a line on the pavement of the path I want the tires to be on as they move. I can only see the line while backing up the TV/Airstream and looking in the extended mirrors. Using the mirrors you can also see both sides of the trailer. Using a dolly or front hitch your view to either side of the trailer and the trailer wheels is limited.

You may have 2-3 people to help spot now, but they may not be available the next time you park.

One word of caution. If you use extending mirrors, make sure they do not hit the obstruction you are backing through as the TV goes through the obstruction. Your attention is towards the back as your mirrors hit the fence post or house.
glh101282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuscis View Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking around here as my wife and I are planning our adventure into the airstream lifestyle. We have at least 5 or 7 years to retirement but will likely be purchasing a new airstream in the next year or two so in the early planning stages.

Our backyard is plenty big to park an airstream however to get it there will require backing it up a side yard where I will be installing pavers including where we will be parking/storing it.

Question: There is a section on the side yard that is only 10ft wide and from what I've read the new trailers are all 8.5ft wide but I suspect a few objects on the side of the trailer may stick out a few more inches here and there. One side is a wood fence and the other side is our front porch. If I were to use one of these:
https://trailervalet.com/shop/trailer-valet-xl/

do you think backing it up through this tight section would be much of a problem?

Thank You
Mark
I made a receiver for the front of my truck and mounted on the passenger side so I can watch the one side of my trailer as I push it into a tight spot on the side of my house and have no problem. That is what you need.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote