Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2021, 11:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, it's not a "pull through" if you have to back out. Pull through means that you can drive in one end and drive out of the other end.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you look at a commercial setup for RV storage, something around 60 feed "deep" is not uncommon. Doors need to open at least 14' to accommodate some of the nutty RV's out there. Anything less than 12' wide on the doors is unusual. Again, this is just looking at how the "pro's" do it.

For a storage area that allows you to do much with the vehicle, you need to have all the storage area doors open. You need walking space around all those doors. I'd suggest that 3' of shelf space to load / unload to would be a good idea, at least on the passenger side. Starting from an 8.5' wide vehicle: Doors add 3' (18" each). Walk space adds 6'. Shelving is another 3'. Net would be about 20 feet. Going under 12' gets crazy.

For two RV's, you basically double the space.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, it's not a "pull through" if you have to back out. Pull through means that you can drive in one end and drive out of the other end.
I'm picturing a building with opposing doors, let's say on the right.
You pull thru, then turn left, swing around the side of the building and you're pointed out!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I like Bob's idea regarding storage on the sides. We schlep our gear from a basement storage area at the back of the garage to the trailer. (The house sits on a hill with the garage below grade on the left and a "basement" behind a door at the back of garage.) I've got it organized to grab and go. But if that gear was right at the trailer that'd be pretty great. Gear for camping on the passenger/curb side. Tools and other gear for working on the trailer on the driver/street side.

My ideal Airstream barn-dominium has a way for a less-than-spry person to access the AS roof for inspection and maintenance.

And enough space to hold my 1951 Chevy pickup so I can finally work on it.

And a painting booth.

And...

And...
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Wait, wait, wait, let me get this straight ---

This is an amazing question!

A wife is actually asking if her husband could be right?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
In my garage I have a set of shelves on the door side that are dedicated to airstream maintenance, stocking, and cleaning. Right outside the door is a little packing table that I can use to stage projects or materials.

Similarly I have a set of deep shelves right behind my truck (which is parked next to the Airstream) where I store the cargo containers and bikes and campstuffs that get loaded into the truck for a trip. I can literally back my truck up and pick what I want to load up.

I can take pics if anyone is interested. I’ve just moved in and have some more organization to do but I’m getting our trailer ready for our first trip this year and I really like how the space has turned out.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I just built a new house that combines an extra large 2 car garage (extra wide 2 doors so I can get a pickup with towing mirrors in) an RV garage (12x12 door 14’ high garage) as one unit. It’s insulated, heated, water available, 50 AMP service with a dump station. No more pink stuff to winterize. Actually don’t need to winterize at all. But will blow out just in case. If anyone is going to build an RV garage I would highly recommend having all the hookups available if possible and insulate/heat it. Sure is handy when I come home and I can dump, etc. And it is nice it is attached to the house for easy loading and unloading.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
I can take pics if anyone is interested. I’ve just moved in and have some more organization to do but I’m getting our trailer ready for our first trip this year and I really like how the space has turned out.
Pics please.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Not actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

Because she knew how the forum would respond. She was just trying to break through his stubbornness.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

LOL. Well, I mean, I have to allow for the really REMOTE possibility, right?
mickeyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Put a target on the rear wall of the building ( blue tape works good) positioned so that when you sight down the side of the trailer looking in the TV mirror and the side of the trailer is lined up with your target the trailer will be in the center of the door opening. A couple of bricks sitting on the floor right behind the rear wheels of the trailer do a good job of preventing you from backing in too far. I have used this system for six years now and I can get my AS back to the same spot within an inch or two every time and my door is only 10 ft. wide.
Ed
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
Pics please.
I’ve written up and taken photos of my Airstream storage in this post in my Traveling with Tatay thread.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Shell , Wyoming
Worked through very similar geometry with our barn in an open space and concluded that the pull through option just used up too much space for very little benefit. Arranged it to optimize backing in safely and very happy with the arrangement. Camp gear stores behind camper, boat gear behind boat, etc. Very space efficient and easy in / out.
CLOUD9WYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Bambi
2019 16' Sport
Worthington , Massachusetts
I agree with the earlier poster that said the pull-through design would work even easier if you installed a front hitch receiver on your truck. I think your husband is somewhat justified in wanting a pull thru. I would love one. When I get back home after a long drive and vacation, it is often night time and the last thing I want to do is to finesse a delicate backing up maneuver. A pull thru barn just enables him to drive into the barn and unhook. If you install a front hitch receiver on your truck, you would then avoid the problem of trying to make the turn around at the rear and side of your barn when it comes time to take the trailer out for your next adventure. You would have to drive the truck around to the rear of the barn but that is a simpler matter. With the truck at the rear of the barn facing the trailer hitch, you connect the front hitch receiver on the truck to the trailer and push the trailer out of the barn onto your driveway. Eventually you would have to turn the trailer around, but that could be out on the street or a side pull-off to the side of your driveway if you want to build one.

I installed a front hitch receiver on the front of my truck myself. It took me about 3 hours. It would be a breeze for most auto shops to do. I can back my Airstream into most wide spots the normal way, but when it comes to tight spots I unhook the rear hitch, turn the truck around, and rehitch the front hitch, and push the Airstream into the tight space. It saves a lot of frustration.
Searching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Yuma , Arizona
Must be missing something. If it is a pull thru just go in the other door.
gcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #36
Rhode Islander

Currently Looking...
Arcadia , Florida
If you want to make the backing and parking easier, paint stripes on the floor just outside of the tires. Keep the tires tracking inside the stripes while backing in using your mirrors. To do this at a campsite, use a rope, a big brightly colored one. After a while, this little chore will be a piece of cake. Comes in handy once in a while in fuel locations, too
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Pull-throughs are passé. What you need is a turntable!
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:52 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I don't understand how you are setting this up. Once the truck pulls the trailer into the barn, and goes out the back exit, How do you get the truck back out to the front? Is there a drive way around the barn? If there is then why not use it to take the trailer out as well? If there is no other exit but back thru the barn then how do you get the truck back to the front? Do you just leave it and not use it, until the next trip with the airstream?
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
Learn the skill of backing your tow vehicle up with the trailer attached and it’s something you will never regret learning.
By the way, cute way to ask a question.
56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Turn radius calculator

For determining whether your rig can turn in a given space, you might find this calculator helpful:

http://toxiccelery.co.uk/Offtrack/What_you_need_to_know.html
dmatzinger is offline   Reply With Quote