Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2022, 04:20 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
PSA: Don't leave bottles of water in your AS

We usually take some bottled water when we go camping:
- 2gal upright jugs (with a spigot)
- Cases of 1/2 bottles

I usually leave anything we have remaining in the camper - "for next time."

Well..... Now one of those 2gal jugs found a way to rupture! Must have fallen over at some point, bashed around under the couch. Only found it because the floor was wet The jug was totally dry by this time.

Did it cause damage to our subfloor? No idea. But henceforth I won't be leaving any water behind when we park the AS.

(Oh: My last lesson learned was leaving a pack of bacon in the fridge. The thing smelled like a dead animal for months! )
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:15 AM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
We know that dead animal smell.

We once had two hamburger patties in a plastic bag lay flat on the freezer bottom. My DW, who at 5'2" can hardly see the bottom of the freezer, missed it when emptying after a trip. Not a pretty after a few weeks! Took a long time to remove that smell.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Your floor will probably be OK — wood doesn’t rot because it gets wet, it rots if if stays wet. If possible keep air circulating to dry it out faster. Warm is better.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Several years ago, while winterizing, I got called away urgently, mid process. The next spring, believing I had completed the job....found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Split water tank.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	424744

In addition, I had left several cans of diet Pepsi in one of the sofa arm storage compartments. They exploded, but fortunately were still slush when found, making a wet vac job pretty effective.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
My lovely wife,in an effort to be thrifty, didn’t pour out some eggs and milk from making French toast. Instead set the open bowl in the fridge. When we got home the contents had leaked out the fridge into the compartment below. The smell made your eyes water. I took compartments apart and replaced the converter/inverter with a better one that wouldn’t ruin our batteries. (It was located below the fridge). Took a while, but the stink eventually left.
We carry gallon jugs to flush the toilet during winter travel. I think I’ll replace those before we head to south TX in February.
Thx for the heads up.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:11 AM   #6
Tio Oso

2021 22' Caravel
Woodstock , Connecticut
Hope you can get it dry quickly. The store bought bottles of water are subject to pin-hole leaks. I know your story!

The dead animal smell can be removed by roasting coffee beans, and sometimes by leaving a pan of ground coffee in the affected area. If you can stand to remain in the trailer, put them in a frying pan on the stove on low heat.
MDVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
I put water jugs in plastic bags. The jugs sweat in the Pacific northwest. Keeping them in bags keeps moisture in the bags. Also contains the water if jugs leak. Ive had full, unopened jugs empty on their own!
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
If your going to leave water ( not over winter ) store 1-2 in the shower, any leaks will be contained and work it’s way down the drain. I use Damp-Rid in several areas , but I have them in a second plastic container in case the factory one ruptures. I don’t use the hanging ones, I don’t trust that plastic bag.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDVan View Post
Hope you can get it dry quickly. The store bought bottles of water are subject to pin-hole leaks. I know your story!

The dead animal smell can be removed by roasting coffee beans, and sometimes by leaving a pan of ground coffee in the affected area. If you can stand to remain in the trailer, put them in a frying pan on the stove on low heat.
Yes coffee does a good job of removing other odors(there are some people that don't like the smell of coffee when it's that strong though). Baking soda is another option and it doesn't have a noticeable smell of its own.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
Another lesson learned the hard way!

We learned that too, so always store the water in the shower!🫣
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarris View Post
We learned that too, so always store the water in the shower!🫣
And the galy sink.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #12
geo
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Is it possible that the jug that ruptured somehow froze?

Those 2.5 gallon water jugs are made with a thinner and less durable plastic than 1/2 and 1 liter bottles. I have frozen the smaller bottles and used them as ice packs in a cooler without issues, so it’s probably ok to keep them in the trailer.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
Last June we had to return to California from storing our AS in our inside storage near Denver after the spring time in the Rockies Caravan last June. We had planned to return in a week or two for more summer fun. Instead we didn’t return. I figured we would be good because we were plugged in and had thrown out all the perishables. Beginning of October I returned for a couple of days for a quick camp trip and make sure we were good for winter to discover, The detail company that washes out AS and TV after our adventurers had failed to plug the AS back in after they finished even though they remembered the trickle charger on the TV. The AS batteries were dead and we were out of propane.

Well I discovered quite the Science experiment going on when I opened the refrigerator. I’m guessing it ran on propane for a couple of months and then the return to primordial soup began. We had left steaks and chicken frozen in the freezer and an octopus in the cooler. The juices an everywhere complete with a swarm of maggot eggs not sure where the actual maggots went. I tried to clean but decided I would never feel comfortable eating anything that had been placed in the refrigerator. So I tore it out. The local Camperworld had a fridge that fit so two days later we had a new fridge. I used lots of coffee grounds and scented candles and 5 cans of fabreeze to get rid of the smell. Plus I set off a bug fogger when I returned to California.

The point of the story is , things happen take care of them. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. We will do better next time.
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 04:49 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Miami , Florida
Water in the RV

Left a case of water in the living area of a prior RV. Came back and one of the dogs (we know who) had bit into every bottle. There was no water left. Now we only store water in the shower or in a cooler in the truck.
Dog House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #15
r3z
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
If your going to leave water ( not over winter ) store 1-2 in the shower, any leaks will be contained and work it’s way down the drain. I use Damp-Rid in several areas , but I have them in a second plastic container in case the factory one ruptures. I don’t use the hanging ones, I don’t trust that plastic bag.
That is smart. I had one hanging in the closet and it leaked. :/ ruined the buddy heater under it and got all over a jacket that was able to be washed.
r3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 04:38 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
We have had the same experience with full unopened jugs of water. Putting them in the shower while stopped is okay, but I wouldn't leave them while underway. I've developed a stress crack in the shower pan and wonder if it is from the water jugs bouncing down the road. We have accumulated some of the plastic jugs from the magic juice for colonospies. They are very durable and we save and refill at home.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 10:17 PM   #17
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatNutG2 View Post
The juices an everywhere complete with a swarm of maggot eggs not sure where the actual maggots went.

The actual maggots were not born yet. Flies lay the eggs, which become maggots, which then become flies.

Fun facts.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had a 2 1/2 gallon jug of “emergency” drinking water that apparently developed a crack where it had been dented..which easily happens moving these around.

Went to pull it out of the passenger step area and it was still sealed up, but completely empty.

I hadn’t noticed water leaking, have no idea when in the couple of months I had carried this that it had happened, but suspect being at high elevations may have exacerbated the issue.

Maggie
Old 11-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Huntington Beach , California
We carry our drinking water in 12, 48 ounce Nalgene bottles, stored in the wine carriers from the grocery story, just because the drinking water containers are so flimsy.

It doesn't freeze here but it would not affect the Nalgene, I freeze smaller nalgenes all the time with out breakage, i just leave a little head space.
Donamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I've been using the same 5 gal plastic gas cans for water for decades. I bought the gas cans for water use only and they have only had water in them. Gas cans are made much more robust and made to be more durable then water jugs. They've bounced around the back of the truck and been generally abused and they have never failed me. Another robust jug is the one gal size of the Arizona brand teas. I ve also been using several of these for multiple years while using my Globetrotter as an aluminum tent. They are much easier for my wife to use and I refill them from my 5 gal gas cans.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote