Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stamford , Connecticut
Protecting an Airstream in the winter

Good evening -- Thanks for reading my post.

My family and I are very close to purchasing a 27ft Serenity. Naturally the issue of how best to take care of it during the winter is of great concern. To us, the Airstream will be a treasure so we want to do what's best. Anyway, the option of purchasing a custom cover has come up. Whatever you can share about this topic would be appreciated.

We had a great opportunity to store it in a barn but have subsequently learned that we are off by about 6in. on height

Many thanks.

AK
AKJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forums.

Covers are not recommended -- they will move in the wind and abrade your aluminum shell. Ideal storage is indoors. As a former CT shoreline resident, I know that you'll have plenty of indoor storage competition from boats. Prices aren't cheap. If you do store it outdoors, make sure you leak check it regularly and keep your seams well sealed. The enemy of an Airstream is water getting to the floor, which is the most vulnerable structural component.

That said, the best place for an Airstream is on the road. In winter, head south!
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The height of the Airstream is to the AC, correct? I'm curious if you could take the cover off the ac and maybe air down the tires to get it in the barn? My Airstream is in a garage. I would never store it outside, but that's just me.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stamford , Connecticut
Thanks. Do you know how much space there is between the air conditioner and its cover? AK
AKJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
We too are close to buying a serenity 27FB but have not been able to find indoor storage in eastern Massachusetts. Any suggestions?
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airplane hangars at smaller private fields - lots have some spare room - especially if you're lower than the wingtips. You could be the "Air beneath my wings"..
Old 10-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Winter Storage for Airstreams

Covered in a hard structure such as a garage or barn/shed is best. No doubt; no argument. Some of us don't have such a structure available and use a cover even in areas such as the north east US where snow fall in the winter can be extreme. My fabric cover for the 22' AS International Serenity worked well last season even with record snow falls. This year we have the same plan unless I can convince my wife that we really need a separate structure and we can agree on where to build it. My recommendation, find indoor storage if possible. If such storage isn't available buy the best RV cover you can find. Ideal? No. But life demands compromise. Cheers and have a blast with the new AS.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
65cv, what product do you use for seams? And are you talking about the rails along the side or which seams? Thx
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Mine is stored indoors. If you do store it outside be sure to cover the tires to protect against UV. Close the shades. Store the trailer as level as possible to allow water to run off naturally. Of course be sure to winterize the plumbing system and remove anything stored inside the trailer that is liquid based and could freeze. When winterizing don't forget to drain the holding tanks, water heater and drain lines, especially any which might have outside outlets. I blow compressed air through the system and follow up with RV antifreeze which i pump in via the water pump. Don't forget to blow out the lines and open the low water drain valves to get the water out of them. Add sufficient RV antifreeze into the sink and shower drains to displace water in them. Also add some RV antifreeze in to the toilet bowl so that the seal stays immersed and doesn't dry out. Don't forget to pull the water filter out if you pump antifreeze into the system. Remove the battery(ies) and put them on a trickle charger. Leave the door on refrigerator and freezer popped open.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
AK,

We let Mother Nature do the covering....10yrs SFSG.

Covered our 63 Safari the first Winter we had it....big mistake. Wind damage/scratching from a flapping, frozen tarp, water damage from the tarp freezing to the aluminum, never again, lesson learned.

Just a good Winter make ready is all we find necessary here in WNY.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09871.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	249902  
Old 10-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Ours is stored outdoors. We winterize well and carefully as above (don't forget to winterize the sink sprayer too - lesson learned). Only once have we been concerned about snow load, 2 winters ago. Snow pushed off, and no problems. Our bigger concern is hail in the summer... Oh well.
Our son learned with his Jayco, that critters like the covers too for nests on your roof.
Put her to bed carefully, and she'll sleep like a baby till spring!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
Orcs

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Winthrop , Washington
Need to winterize the toilet as well. Look at the separate manufactures instructions to disconnect the input line and drain the valve,
orcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
We had a carport erected next to our garage (on pavement) I called carports.com and they were great, I chose to get it 28' long by 14' wide as this is 392 square feet and in my town no building permit is required if structure is under 400 square feet. The opening is 11' high and back wall and side walls come down 6 feet. Heavy duty to hold any snow load in northeast and I paid about $4500 that was 3 years ago. Best investment we made.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
65cv, what product do you use for seams? And are you talking about the rails along the side or which seams? Thx
Seams? Anything that shows bubbles on a leak test.

I've used Acryl-R and Vulkem. Can't say that I've noticed a quality difference. My best guess is that the structural integrity -- or lack thereof -- determines what seams open up enough to leak.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
The small airport hangar is a great idea. That's what I have done and they appreciate the extra little revenue. I live in a rural area and that probably helps the rate and availability. Most years we have about 200 inches of snow so it's nice to see our baby under roof. When getting heavy snow I always hope the hangar roof is strong! So far so good. Maybe someday SOUTH for winter.
Dave in northern WV mountains and not looking forward to winter!
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohnson View Post
Thanks. Do you know how much space there is between the air conditioner and its cover? AK
Good question, does anyone know the answer for the new Penquine II low profile A/C? I also need a few inches to get under the header on my garage door.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Good question, does anyone know the answer for the new Penquine II low profile A/C? I also need a few inches to get under the header on my garage door.
Let some air out of the tires.....

Bob
Old 10-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When winterizing if you have an outside shower don't forget to purge the water from that line as well when blowing air thru the system.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Some put them up on jackstands so the axles are unweighted, then let some air out of the tires and block the sun.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
I took the cover off the AC to fit a cellular antenna on top of the cover. There is not much extra clearance with the cover off, maybe 1-2"? If you are that tight I'd be concerned about any slope or uneven ground on the approach causing the rig to be higher than expected at the wrong time. Maybe take the cover off then let some air out of the tires as suggested here. The cover is very easy to take off, 4 phillips screws. Its light and easy to handle. You should be be able to get to them all with a tall ladder from each side - be careful!
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote