Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Opinions on Pole Barns?

Thinking of getting a Pole Barn, or some kind of metal RV garage, and was wondering what other folks were happy with- what company/brand, size, cinfiguration, etc. I'm in front range Colorado, would like to find a good local dealer. Thanks!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
I have a 40x60 and store my own motorhome plus another larger motorhome and numerous old cars and boats all winter. Helps with the cash flow.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
love/hate the pole barn

I have a 30 x 48 with 12 foot side walls. I used t1-11 siding and a comp roof-built it myself with help from a cast of 20's! I love it and hate it. It is wonderful for storage and it is wonderful for BIG projects, but it is not good for: too big to heat/cool-you end up walking to where "IT" is to get it to use...back and forth. No interior walls to hang stuff-cabinets, etc so back and forth....lighting (as I get older) has become a big problem in the winter. I hung a bazillion fluorescents (spell that 3 times in a row) but they are way up there to keep the open space open. I do not want to afford all new light fixtures, so I am kinda caught 'tween the old rock and the concrete floor...floor has been painted with epoxy-still suffers from hot tire transfer-don't want to afford a more sophisticated floor "system." Oh well, perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

I always dreamed of having such a place to work, not knowing how sedentary/lazy i would get-today I am typing on this here dang computer, instead of out there getting stuff done. It is raining cats and dogs, but the AS is high and dry...that's nice, no doubt-it is plugged in and happy. So, get 'er dun, you'll most likely love it even with the shortcomings.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
After looking at a lot of options, I chose a Morton Building. They did a fantastic job. Expensive but IMO well worth it. Great folks to work with.
The electrician is finishing the wiring this morning.
Good luck to you. It sure is nice to have a nice place to work on these things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00957.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	89923   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00958.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	89924  

Name:	DSC00959.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	89925  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
AirHeads- that thing is enormous! What is a ballpark $ figure for something like that? I think I could get by with something substantially smaller, maybe 30' long, 24' wide, 10' sidewalls- anybody have something like that? I only want it for the 27' AS and the Suburban.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
There is a BIG difference

Between what we call a pole barn and a Morton Building is a BIG difference. Morton is absolutely super. Even though the "poles" are set the same, all else is different. A far less expensive pole barn is built, around here, with surplus telephone poles for side and corner supports. Oil field casing pipe if you can weld and have access. 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 wall bracing and trusses of 2 x 4 (or metal). Interior telephone pole supports wherever needed. Use "R" panel metal for the roof and sides for structural strength (hail proofing)....roof for sure, and put whatever you like on the sides. Dump a gravel floor or pour a concrete floor....yes, up to and around the planted telephone poles and walls......it is a pole barn afterall. Wire it up according to your Farm and Ranch electrical sources. There are traveling companies that do all this for you....any Farm Journal will have ads for them.

If you can afford it....have Morton do the whole thing.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Room to spare

Picture of my hybrid pole barn it is 30'x60. with 13' walls.It consists of 6x6 supports with steel trusses,metal roof and sides,5 400 watt halide lights light it up.Starting from right to left Overlander 1973,Spartanette 24 1948,and a Globetrotter 1963.Behind the Overlander is a 66 Chevy pu also waiting for the redo.
They all fit with room to spare. Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ohio sept 09 024.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	89928  
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Talking Definition for pole barn??

The old fashioned pole barn has galvanized steel siding with basic utility type treated poles. They are used for implement housing, cattle, and assundry. These are the cheapest and cost is minimal compare to Morton, etc. A lot depends on what you are will to pay. A friend just built one of the old fashioned pole barns but the wall areas are note covered. Probably you need to know what exactly you will do with your enclosure. As has been stated they are difficult to heat, insulation is then a must in the cost. If you just want to enclose your trailer, tow vehicle, etc then in my book the old fashioned pole barn is the best, of course they aren't has nice looking as a barn that has the flat siding and roofing. If you don't care what it looks like go for the old fashioned type. I look forward to seeing others opinions and what you decide to do.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
If I could afford a Morton building I would get one! However, I am looking at a lower cost option of a metal carport style with closed sides. Here is on eof hte places i was looking at Carports Garages Metal Guard Houses Steel Buildings I think a 18WX26LX10H with closed sides was going to run around $2000 (+/-). Still looking though.
wxbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Different Strokes for ......

Different Folks

Wow, I can see there are various definitions for pole barn - ranging from hand-made/home-made/low-cost to much more elaborate.

Keep in mind that my wife and I live in a very urban area. We basically have a city lot (although it's larger than most in the neighborhood). In our municipality there is a requirement to have a poured concrete slab for any building used to store a vehicle (yes the Airstream is considered a vehicle according to our city code). This concrete almost doubles the cost of the project - from ~$12k to $20k.

I am considering something similar to a post above.

Metal Carports

My wife and I want the boxed eave so the building looks a little more consistent with a conventional roofline rather than the curved/rounded roofline. We plan to make it 18 X 36. That will give us a modest amount of room to get around the trailer but it's not large enough to do any significant repairs/work. Our need is for storage - not repairs/maintenance. We plan to but a lean-to shed on the side for the tow vehicle. All of this will be enclosed and locked to minimize onlookers/sightseers. We plan to put lots of shubbery around the building to disguise it from neighbors.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
A pole shed to keep the rain and direct sunshine off.
Materials - around a $1000.00. Cost of labor
depends on how much you are willing to work.
It seems to me that a shed that is well made
does not have to cost too much. The function is
to protect the trailer from the elements. Leaving the
basic function.....the sky is the limit. Take a look at
the old farms, the old time farmers never left the tractors
out in the weather. In it's simplest form, the pole shed
is to prevent water damage and the damage from sunshine.
I believe these Airstream trailers are worth it! We have had
nearly 20 inches of rain where I live - during the month of
October this year. I am glad I built my pole shed last summer.
It was hard work...the rewards are worth it.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Different Folks

Wow, I can see there are various definitions for pole barn - ranging from hand-made/home-made/low-cost to much more elaborate.

Keep in mind that my wife and I live in a very urban area. We basically have a city lot (although it's larger than most in the neighborhood). In our municipality there is a requirement to have a poured concrete slab for any building used to store a vehicle (yes the Airstream is considered a vehicle according to our city code). This concrete almost doubles the cost of the project - from ~$12k to $20k.

I am considering something similar to a post above.

Metal Carports

My wife and I want the boxed eave so the building looks a little more consistent with a conventional roofline rather than the curved/rounded roofline. We plan to make it 18 X 36. That will give us a modest amount of room to get around the trailer but it's not large enough to do any significant repairs/work. Our need is for storage - not repairs/maintenance. We plan to but a lean-to shed on the side for the tow vehicle. All of this will be enclosed and locked to minimize onlookers/sightseers. We plan to put lots of shubbery around the building to disguise it from neighbors.
One note that hasn't been brought up is strength in wind, etc. I would like to know how much wind the metal carports will take, especially one that is in direct wind and not very protected. Something to think about.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Good point - Clydecrashcu

The advantage of the shed, is that not having side walls,
it catches very little / no wind. One fellow's opinion
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Lots of good pointers here. Wind is definitely a factor in front-range Colorado, especially in the winter, so not sure about the carport idea. I like simple, and cheap, but don't want to build something that will just turn into a kite. I guess if that happened, I could say my poor little boy was in it and then get my own reality show (or jail).
Anyhoo- I think I like the fully enclosed idea. Are there any manufacturers of these things you can suggest? I will look at the links given by wxbuoy and nvestysly.
You guys that already have 'em are lucky.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sheds

We purchased this one a couple of years ago...cost about 7k, IIRC.

Of course, we don't have to worry about the snow loads that you guys do. As for winds, it is staked down so should survive most of what we face here.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0001.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	90005  
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
68Safari22

1968 22' Safari
edmond , Oklahoma
I live in Okla where wind and hail are serious considerations. I bought a steel quantset type building. It seemed to be the sturdiest, cheapest, most easily erected building I could find in 1997. I bought it for an airplane hangar and cover for the AS. It is 50 X 50 and sold for $8500 including shipping in 1997. It included a complete back wall and a partial front wall. I had to supply a door wide enough for the airplane. These buildings come in sections that you assemble into arches and then bolt the arches together. I, along with 5 of my friends were able to erect the building in 3 days. This was after the slab was poured and cured. The one I have is round so I don't have wall space on the sides for shelves. There are similar buildings available that have vertical side walls about 8 feet high that bend into the round roof. These cost a bit more. You can buy most any width and they can be made as long as you want since you just add more arches.

One of my friends was so impressed by the building that he bought a two car garage sized building to put in his back yard. Four of us erected it in one day including the end walls.
Harleyyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Pole barn, etc.

I built a 30 x 48 foot pole barn (12 foot sidewalls with 12' door) with a kit from Miracle Truss. Kit was about 12K 5 years ago. I did all the work except the concrete floor (10K). Had power run to it & built a small heated shop in the corner. Now I'm insulating the whole thing. Love the building, but it can be a money pit with constant improvements. "Good for resale". Ha.

I did a great deal of the assembly myself. It has bar-truss (I think) rafters which are very strong. It takes wind very well.

Fall is a time when they sell off kits that people didn't follow through on their purchase, for a discount.

Excellent building.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
Daniel , Wyoming
We have a 40X30 pole barn built by VAP out of Kansas for $12K. They did a great job. We had them put roof rafters on 2ft centers instead of the usual 4ft centers for better high wind resistance. We also put 1/2" OSB on the sides and roof for greater stability. It has withstood 80+ mph winds and 4' snowfall. We are very happy with it. OH, it has three bays, one for the shop and two for vehicles. It has electrical and the shop will be insulated next spring (I hope!). Great way to go... Tom
fotozone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
LaSalle , Michigan
Go with a Morton and you'll never be sorry. I've had mine for 30 years and it still looks great. 42 x 45 with 12 foot walls and doors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20081018_1620.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	90019  
Redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I was pricing and looking at pole barns tonight. We are planning on building one in the spring. I like one Menards sells. They will sell you the whole kit. I will pay somebody to put it up. I am posting a picture and leaving off the advertising and price (just the pic). This is the one I like so far because we want to build a small apartment into it.

Post Frame 1904850

Brian