Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
Not winterizing in Iowa?

I have a 2021 International 25FBT and plan on traveling back and forth South this winter. Would it hurt to not winterize, use house power, and then 2 space heaters as well as furnace when back in Iowa?
Jeff Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If your heat is reliable you should be okay, but be sure to open cabinets under the sink and open the bathroom door so that all the bits that could freeze are heated.

Maggie
Old 12-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'm with Maggie, two space heaters each set to 750 Watts will keep a trailer 25-28 degrees warmer than the outside, so long as wind is less than say 15 mph. With high wind, drop that to 20 degrees. Inside wall temps will be about half the total difference, so as long as temps stay above 20, space heaters are fine. Furnace set at 40-45 will help. If temps start dropping below 20 you will need to get it up to 50 inside and so on.... at 10 it will need to be near 68 inside.

You should also remove the outside shower hose, fill the compartment with bubble rap or rolled outdoor pipe insulation and tape insulation over the city inlet. If it is going to be below 20 for a while, a skirt will be very helpful. Put antifreeze in the shower p trap if below 20.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Ottumwa , IA
Thanks for the advice. I have no problem buying propane as needed. Just wanted to make sure I could keep enough heat in the AS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
I'm with Maggie, two space heaters each set to 750 Watts will keep a trailer 25-28 degrees warmer than the outside, so long as wind is less than say 15 mph. With high wind, drop that to 20 degrees. Inside wall temps will be about half the total difference, so as long as temps stay above 20, space heaters are fine. Furnace set at 40-45 will help. If temps start dropping below 20 you will need to get it up to 50 inside and so on....
Jeff Bittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

An unusually low temp overnight, driven by a strong wind, could possibly freeze some remote plumbing part like the exterior shower valves etc., no matter how warm the interior is.

Why risk it?

Broad-brush guidance is of limited utility IMO. Monitor weather details carefully, and protect your valuable asset accordingly IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Good point Peter, with the water off, it would be best to open the low point drains and the outdoor shower valves, so if they freeze, if something unexpected come up, the water has a place to expand.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
If it drops below 20 degrees for an extended time I’d say it could get interesting. Personally I would at least drain the pipes and blow them out. It doesn’t take that much time, and if for some reason something went wrong with the power or furnace going out it could save your pipes.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I am in Davenport, DON’T risk it. I did not get all the water out and it $$$$ me! This was one night of 30 degrees. Thought I could make it
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Exclamation

Des Moines is forecast to have overnight lows around 15F by Christmas. See the line graph bar chart on the bottom here:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/de...weather/328810

Click on the "Forward 2 Days" link at the top right here:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...ical&lat=&lon=

. . . to confirm a low temp of 10F for next Thursday, with very strong NW winds! [This detailed NWS resource looks ahead ~6 days.]

Only a fully winterized trailer can escape these brutal conditions without plumbing damage IMO.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All these cautions are good, but what is most safe for your rig really depends a lot on your individual situation.

I have overnighted in my rig more nights than I would like with temps that have dropped into the teens, without freezing up.

Some of these have been with electricity, two consecutive nights some years back were without, running the furnace off the battery and with undercabinet doors and bathroom open.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 12-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bittner View Post
I have a 2021 International 25FBT and plan on traveling back and forth South this winter. Would it hurt to not winterize, use house power, and then 2 space heaters as well as furnace when back in Iowa?
Frankly, I would be concerned about the moisture you would create inside the trailer when you have a lot of heat inside and it's so cold outside. Condensation will build up quickly, and I believe you will be faced with creating mold. Having grown up in Chicago, I know that Iowa is very humid compared to Central Oregon (the High Desert) where I live right now. We plan to arrive home in mid-March from a trip to Southern California with our 25 ft International, and we feel we need to re-winterize it also. I wouldn't take a chance.
cathurston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
In South Carolina, we have had winter temps as low as 10 degrees only once in a while. My uncle winterized his 26 ft Overlander by using the 10 gal hot water heater as an air tank, pressurizing it with a small 12v dc tire inflator and blowing out the lines and taps one at a time. To my knowledge he never had any freeze damage. After I acquired his trailer and trying his method I found it much easier to just turn on the furnace. The advantage is when we decided to camp in cold weather we were always ready to go and no need to repeat winterizing.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #13
2019 30' International

2019 30' International
Bolingbrook , Illinois
I grew up in Iowa and know how cold it can get. It takes 15 minutes to winterize - why even consider the risk of frozen/broken plumbing?
wwillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Quote:
That was my plan, as well. Let the furnace run all winter. I even had a 100 gallon propane tank dropped in my driveway. Well, the furnace failed on my 2021, 25' FBT Flying Cloud. My water system is now winterized. Batteries are still in and charging from the house. I have a factory appointment on the 4th of February.

If your furnace fails, will the portable heaters be enough? Maybe skirting is needed?

The following YouTube videos might be of assistance. Naturally, they are being lived in but they might offer some things to assist you.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Here in PA it was 4 degrees outside when we woke up. It's still December. Back when I lived a bit further west, we could see -20 overnight. Toss in a strong wind and pipes will freeze even with the heat on. One of the bathrooms in Kansas had a problem that way.

On a trailer with pipes hanging out under the floor, there is a lot of risk. There is no *guarantee* that there will be a problem at this or that temperature. Wind and local baffling both get into the act. People have had disasters at 28 degrees. Others seem to do ok into the teens. Good luck at 20 below ....

Simply opening the low point drains does not get all the water out of the system. You need to use a compressor to blow it out. Even with a few hours of that, the lines still may not be fully dry.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I live in Minneapolis and contemplated this. I’ve winterized twice now, the second time took roughly 30 minutes. You naturally become very efficient. I have since decided to go with the winterizing option. We see too many extreme changes, it only takes a couple days below five or zero to really mess things up!
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #17
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Buy a $100 pancake compressor from home depot, and a brass quick connect blowout fitting for the city water connection. Blow out the plumbing every time you return from a trip. Run the furnace on the drive home. Or, take the compressor and blow out the lines before heading home.

All fixtures and low points, one at a time, and black tank flush for a few seconds. You'll get it down to a 30 minute process. Disconnect pump output and run pump a few second to drain that. No need for antifreeze. Drain waste and fresh tanks, obviously. Then you are ready to hit the road and add water when you get where you're going and be up and running.

I winterize this way in Utah, and it gets below zero, no issues, ever. Just blow all the lines thoroughly. A 5 or 6 gallon compressor will have enough volume to get the job done efficiently, though you will have to let the tank repressurize a few times during the process.

All it will take is your furnace to fail on a non-winterized trailer and you will be in a world of hurt.

My two cents. Spend them wisely!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6...50HB/303379052
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Brass-C.../dp/B002XL2IEA
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
CANON CITY , Colorado
Your waste macerater is you biggest threat, it’s not protected, and is outside in the elements. Some are known to to carry a jug of RV anti freeze to use in stead of flushing with water
Blazeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I have no problem buying propane as needed. Just wanted to make sure I could keep enough heat in the AS.
Jeff, FYI the forecast low for Thursday night is now down to 6 degrees Fahrenheit, with 30-40 MPH winds out of the NW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Des Moines is forecast to have overnight lows around 15F by Christmas.
. . .
Click on the "Forward 2 Days" link at the top right here:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...ical&lat=&lon=

. . . to confirm a low temp of 10F for next Thursday, with very strong NW winds! [This detailed NWS resource looks ahead ~6 days.]

Only a fully winterized trailer can escape these brutal conditions without plumbing damage IMO.

Hoping that you have either gone south or winterized the trailer!

Happy trails,
Old 12-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Some say, "The adventure begins when things break."

A couple of Christmas ago in Stacyville it got to -14 F on the shady side of the house and -9 on the sunny side. Good luck. Report after the events.

Happy Holidays.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote