Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2024, 10:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 22' Caravel
Herndon , Virginia
Long term Storage - How important is power?

Hi All,

we have 2023 Caravel 22 ft. We cant keep at our house for long term storage. Last year we had it winterized and stored at a location, Hollly Acres, about an hour from our house. Woodbridge Northern Virginia.

I toured Holly Acres today and found that in addition to the regular storage lots, they had 2 "upgraded" storage lots, one storage lot provides electric, and a second storage lot provides electric and water. about $100 extra a month for "upgraded" storage lots. And while touring I saw a bunch of relatively good condition airstreams in the upgraded storage lots.

hmm. what do they know that I dont know??

so how helpful is having power during long term storage? is it worth an extra 100$ per month, why would the other airstream owners prefer this?

This is near Woodbridge, Northern Virginia.
gokayaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 12:07 PM   #2
MRA
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
Alameda , California
For me - the extra $100 would be better spent on beer. YMMV.
The advantage to electric would be to keep your batteries charged. Do you have solar and Lithium? With the solar on mine, my batteries are always fully charged when I show up, but mine is parked in full California sun. YMMV. Also - if you have lithium; flat batteries are super annoying but not the same disaster you would have with Lead Acid batteries.
WRT Water - assuming it is potable then it would allow you to fill before you leave - I prefer to do most of my miles with as empty a tank as I can - but lots of times my first destination has no potable water so filling up before I leave would be nice; but not worth $1200 a year.
MRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 12:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
The convienence of power would allow for running a dehumidifier (and cold beer if you keep the refrigerator running).

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 02:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
I prefer to cut off my batteries in outside storage, seven miles from our house. I would not risk having power applied when I am not there. Lithium will hold a charge.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 03:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Power can be nice, you could go turn on fridge a couple days to a week ahead of a trip, if you work on things and use power tools. If you're storing for more then 2 weeks you need a way to charge the batteries or a full disconnect, not the Airstream switch by the door.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 06:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
I don't think having power will make a big difference, especially if you have solar. I'm not sure what the advantage to having water at a storage lot would be. Probably not worth the money.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Having electrical available is very important to us as we need to have a dehumidifier on much of the year as well as for being able to prep the fridge before departing on a trip. Also, we have hot summers and while working on the AS, it's a wonderful thing to be able to turn on the a/c.
ssksfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:28 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If they all are outdoors, go with the lower cost option. If you can find an indoor (or at least "roofed over") location, *that* is worth spending more on.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
I have lead acid batteries and for 9 years now I have been pulling the batteries from our Airstream that is parked under roof at a storage facility. I keep them in my garage until needed. Never any problems. It is more important to me to keep it under roof than spend extra money on electric and inverters & upfraded batteties. The old batteries and generator allows us to boondock for several days, which is more than enough for our style of camping.
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Hi gokayaking,
I've been storing my AS at Holly Acres for last 12-15 years and am currently in the upgraded lot with water and electric access. I went on the wait list for it when they first mentioned they were building the new lot and waited for 3 years before it was completed. The two other spots I was in before that (also at Holly Acres), were horrible i.e. weed-strewn, prone to flooding, muddy after rain, weird vines growing beneath the Airstream, being next to an old speed boat with a too-long tongue that was constantly in the way when I pulled or parked the trailer, etc. Moving to the new lot with cambered or sloped pavement and clearly marked parking lanes with pull-in / pull-out parking were the biggest pluses for me; the electric and water secondary. I rarely use the electric as my lithium batts keep things charged. It's the access to water I like and use for de-winterizing, cleaning out hot water tank, washing the AS, etc. I, too, have noticed the profusion of Airstreams coming into the lot. When I first moved my AS into my new spot, two SOBs were parked on either side of me. Now, there's Airstreams on both sides of me as both families have transitioned to Airstream. Ha!
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
It sounds like you're only using the storage for overwintering? It lives in your driveway when during camping season? We overwinter ours in our driveway with available power and water. Neither are necessary, I just disconnect the lithium batteries and don't plug in again until we're ready to go in the spring.

Otherwise, I can see some advantage if you want to have it ready to go when you pick it up each time you go out as others have indicated. For my money it doesn't seem worth it, but I live in the relatively cool and less humid north.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Power- etc

In Florida for us it's a non issue, We pay extra for inside storage with 30 amp service. Summers, one 13K AC unit runs 24/7 to keep the interior at 89 and humidity at 39%, Victron 3000 is happy, I will buy a new AC unit vs let my rig lot rot outside in the sun and weather, Only negative part is having to run over and dump the AC drip water. In our high humidity 2.5 gallons ever 3 days.

BTW off subject a Hack of mine is to get a empty DEF plastic 2.5 Gallon jug. ( they are in gas station trash cans everywhere if you have a non diesel Gas truck )-

Then get 2 feet of clear soft plastic tubing and make a catheter that slips into the Airstream AC drip tube. The other end put into the empty DEF flex fill funnel attached to the DEF Jug. Sometimes while camping I collect the ac drip water vs letting it run on the ground attracting ants etc- In the storage unit on concrete it's mandatory by the establishment.
Life is a Highway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We store both Airstreams in a full service storage facility: under roof on concrete, 5 amps of 120Vac so batteries are maintained, two wash bays, dump station, fresh water sources for tanks and more cameras than I can count watching. The manger lives on site above the office

There are many several million dollar super buss campers there as well so security is top notch.

Since this is on the east side of Phoenix where the ambient air has already reached 113 degrees in June of 2024, we keep three five gallon buckets filled with water inside each trailer to keep the humidity up flor the wood cabinetry in both our 2014 31' Classic and 2015 23D International Serenity with many wood modifications.

Considering we have spent almost the purchase price on each unit with modifications and upgrades and are basically bug free, we are not interested in ANY NEW Airstream product.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 03:43 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Springfield , VA
Deeper Reason

We kept out Class C in that lot years ago because it was the only alternative. There were times where customers on either side parked poorly and we could not fit back into our space. I had side mirrors torn off and holes punched in the fiberglass. Place had all sorts of junk parked there. If I were to put my AS there today, I would go to the area that supports other people who value their property as well as others. Sounds bougie, but I spent a lot for the TT and to park it next to and old immobile food truck does not make sense.
PaulinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:17 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Chandler , Arizona
You should have it trickle charging while storing it, super important if you have FLA,Gel type batteries. Lifepo4’s can go 6 months easily without a charge as long as there is no active loads on them.
Saullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Long term, I'd remove the batteries bring them home, and let the trailer sit. Be careful of flatspotting the tires, so visit every month and move it a bit. Or put it on jack stands.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:35 AM   #17
Jwf
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2018 33' Classic
Ashburn , VA
We also store our 33FB Classic in the upgraded lot. Mainly we moved from the lot across the road because of the paved parking. The water and electricity are a bonus.

I do agree there are quite a few Airstreams at Holly Acres. That was another reason we went there. If other Streamers were there it must be ok.

Unfortunately, they no longer honor the Good Sam extended warranty so you will have to make other arrangements if you want work done. They said it was too much hassle and I can't blame them. Even Airstream of VA hates dealing with them. I am still waiting almost a year for my 50% reimbursement on replacing my tongue jack from them.

Don't bother calling Marcus either. He's no help.��
Jwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:01 PM   #18
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
We have covered storage with power and keep a battery maintainer hooked up to batteries. Our storage is $150 a month and has a dump station and several wash areas and cameras everywhere and very secure.
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 12:59 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , Arizona
Itís up to you. Either option will work. I currently pay about $130 a month for a fenced in, secure storage with cameras, lighting, and electricity thatís protected from the sun and hail. Also have a remote for the gate. You have the ability to plug-in or not. If you plug in, you can set it to come on two hours every day or have it on 24-7. Most important part for me is protection from the sun and hail.
akarakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 05:38 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
Louisburg , North Carolina
I'm in a fortunate situation

Good input all around.

Before I built my custom "RV Barn" in 2022 I had parked our previous Class C in the woods near the driveway. It was always in need of cleaning due to pine needles, birds and pollen. I had a 30a cord run out to it to keep the batteries charged. When I built the barn I made sure there was a TT30 plug nearby to plug in the RV inside the barn. The Class C enjoyed inside storage for a couple years before being replaced by the 2023 Flying Cloud 23FBT.

Being inside and at home it is also on my home WiFi. That allows me to check my EasyTouch wireless thermostat from the comfort of my living room. I really don't need to winterize the trailer because, even though it does dip below freezing here in NC on several overnights, it doesn't dip below freezing overnight inside this uninsulated barn. I also had a sewer line to run to the septic tank during the construction, so I can dump my tanks and sanitize when I'm home. I turn off the power to the trailer for periods of time in the winter to cycle the batteries down to mid level. I understand LiFePO batteries don't like to be held at 100% SOC constantly.

I also like how clean the FC stays over the winter. We have even used it as an occasional guest suite over the holidays!
TedSz is offline   Reply With Quote