Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California
levelable? 31' trailer, 9 degree downslope

here's the situation....

31' airstream needing to be backed down a 9 degree driveway, unhitched, then leveled to be parked for a while...read other posts but they were uphill drives, this is downhill...and wanna get wheels level too, or so I read...

trying to think of the best strategy without flattening the bottom of the driveway to make it level as that's not cheap.

was thinking wood ramps perhaps, but for 31', would the rear end clear them? maybe need to sketch that one...may need trash truck wheels on rear end ?

I read a post of dropping the hitch in a recess, but not sure how you get from tow vehichle into recess with a 31' tank?

just looking for ideas here as I know this is where to find them!

thanks!!!

at least the door is going to be close to the ground!
j_c_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Simple, rent a "BOBCAT", with a front end ball..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
On a 31 foot trailer the wheels are around 20 feet from the ball of the hitch. If you calculate the drop of the hitch at a 9 degree angle for 20 feet, you get a number of 3.13 feet in drop to level the trailer. I know that I could not lower my hitch that much even if I remove the jack.

Please someone double check my math, it's been a long time...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I hate geometry.

My guess would be to back past your planned parking spot, place/secure pre-built "ramps" in place in front of wheels, pull back forward until you are on your ramps and axles are carrying the load evenly enough, then unhitch/level... the ramps could be built longer then needed to get the trailer a little higher in relation to the pitch of the drive... or basically back onto the ramps if the slopes going the other way.. cant quite tell from the description.. but backing onto a leveling ramp would help to effectivly lower the jack point, in relation to the wheels. A picture of the drive might help, but it sounds pretty steep..

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I seem to recall our resident axle expert saying that trailers with more than one axle should be stored level relative to the surface the trailer is sitting on for long term storage. This is to equalize the axle loads. So if the rig is stored on a 9 degree slope, the floor should remain close to parallel to the slope. Makes sense to me, but my axles suck anyway.

Oh Andy!!!!!!!

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Phew! I thought you said a 90 degree downslope.

If you are backing her down, careful you don't damage the forward stabilizer jacks or belly pan. When the trailer axles go over the "event horizon" the front of the trailer will begin to drop relative to the grade and may drag.

Depending on the surface and your TV this might be a good time to invite a few friends over. Give them wheel chocks just in case. Save the beer until the trailer is at the bottom.

On the other hand, when you back up to where the drop begins, this would be a good time to work on the bottom rear of the trailer. You may be able to stand under her. Might even need a ladder.

Tags
driveway level