Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Level storage spot

I am the happy owner of a new to me 1986 Excella. I want to keep it at home where I can enjoy looking at her every day and do some work on her. I have a spot which is a hair over nine feet wide, the trailer is eight. I think with practice I will be able to safely get her parked there without dents or anguish.

I would like to level the spot and give her a more permanent surface on which to park. It is currently just dirt. I was planning on loads of 3/4 red rock, but am open for suggestions as to an inexpensive way to keep her safe and level.

Thanks for any ideas.
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Crushed aggregate is a perfect material for the purpose since it provides excellent drainage. It has to be angular material, so that it interlocks, and you'll want to use a typical roadbed gradation. Here's one gradation that should work, that is typical for road shoulders:
100% passing a 1½"inch sieve;
90-100% passing a 1" sieve;
30-65% passing a #4 (¼") sieve;
0-10% passing a #200 sieve (i.e. less than 10% dust).
You'll want a layer at least 6 inches thick, and if possible get it compacted before using it to properly interlock the stones and keep them from shifting every time you park on it. Roller compacting is best, but for such a small area you'll have to settle for vibratory compaction.

There is a difference between crushed aggregate and gravel but the difference only matters to contractors, not to laymen, so be sure when you order it that you don't call it "gravel." Always call it "crushed aggregate." Once it's actually in place and you're parking on it, THEN you can call it gravel.

On Edit— Forgot to mention, you CAN simply place the gravel layer above the existing ground surface by tapering a ramp at one end, but you'll get better results if you excavate 6 inches and then place the crushed aggregate in the excavation, so the top surface is more-or-less level with the existing high point of the area.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I used 3-4 tons of crusher run stone to build a 10' x 30' pad beside my garage. I have a quarry within 5 miles of home, so I hauled the stone myself, 1 ton per trip, on my utility trailer. The stone is fairly inexpensive (~$12/ton). Getting it hauled to the location it is needed can be costly.
If the storage spot is adjacent to your house you will need to maintain a slope to direct the rain water away from the foundation.

add edit: Google Maryland Materials' products list (not far from you)
Old 10-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
If the storage spot is adjacent to your house you will need to maintain a slope to direct the rain water away from the foundation.
To clarify… That's a slope of the ground, not a slope of the graded stone. Water filters down through the stone, then runs off at ground level.

Note that if the parking spot is lower than the adjacent ground on one or more sides, you can incorporate a French drain, by digging a trench around the edges of the parking space on the three highest sides, and sloping the bottom of the trench toward the lowest side. When you fill the trench with graded stone as well, it will be invisible, but will still help keep your parking area well-drained.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
To clarify… That's a slope of the ground, not a slope of the graded stone. Water filters down through the stone, then runs off at ground level.
This statement is not correct for all materials. Crusher run stone (sometimes called ABC stone) will compact to a point that water will pond on top. I have slope on mine.

Also, check out what International Building Code says about slope around the perimeter of a home. (6" slope to a point 10' away from the wall if my memory serves me)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
WOW, that was more than I ever knew one could know.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
This statement is not correct for all materials. Crusher run stone (sometimes called ABC stone) will compact to a point that water will pond on top. I have slope on mine.
I've never dealt with crusher stone, so I didn't know that. Here in Louisiana we have to import all of our stone by barge from quarries in Missouri, so crusher stone is a non-issue for us.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Watch the eve clearance if backing into a narrow space next to a building. People tend to forget about the overhang and once you hit it. IT'S TOO LATE!

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I've never dealt with crusher stone, so I didn't know that. Here in Louisiana we have to import all of our stone by barge from quarries in Missouri, so crusher stone is a non-issue for us.
Killer, never thought about that! I guess RR move a lot of ballast to LA also?
Crush & run here in VA is about $3.50 a ton. I use #57s in the driveway, (Limestone). They are clean and a little larger than small gravel, but way smaller than RR ballast. They pack good and drain very well. I think they are about $7.50 a ton. The gravel si cheap, getting it to your house is the expensive part, maybe $70 for delivery on 13 ton.

I guess it varies as to where you live.
Have a good one!