Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Shreveport , Louisiana
Southern States

We rarely have freezing temps in fact last year less than 5, however having said this with my first AS we have 3 continuous days coming in Saturday that will be in mid 20's with days in mid 30's (of course this is just a forecast).
For precautions I have emptied all the tanks including the holding tanks (black and Grey) and left valves open for 24 hours including lower drains. I have ran pump to assure no water reserve and in my mind water expands when frozen so there is room for expansion. I'm personally not comfortable with blowing out lines (just not that mechanical) nor do I like idea of RV Antifreeze. I have read and read till I am blue in the face. As stated 3 days of night time mid 20's, lastly do you leave drain valves open or shut (black and grey will be closed). Thanks in advance for advice
Old 02-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
"Just not that mechanical"?

$12-15 of RV antifreeze is cheap insurance.

The cost to replace damaged pipes will be at least 20+X that. Especially if you aren't mechanical and have to pay someone to fix the damage.

The places that are most likely to freeze & cause damage are where there is very water, not as likely to completely drain and no room to expand like your water pump, faucets, toilet lines and water heater lines.

IMO, why worry, use the pink stuff & flush it out in the spring...3 days of freezing & below temperatures aren't worth the risk. We run the pink stuff through (by-passing the fresh water tank), don't let the lines sit 'full' and open the drain valves. 2-3 gallons does it - just run it through until the all you see is pink - don't forget the toilet rinser and shower head.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourleaf1 View Post
We rarely have freezing temps in fact last year less than 5, however having said this with my first AS we have 3 continuous days coming in Saturday that will be in mid 20's with days in mid 30's (of course this is just a forecast).
For precautions I have emptied all the tanks including the holding tanks (black and Grey) and left valves open for 24 hours including lower drains. I have ran pump to assure no water reserve and in my mind water expands when frozen so there is room for expansion. I'm personally not comfortable with blowing out lines (just not that mechanical) nor do I like idea of RV Antifreeze. I have read and read till I am blue in the face. As stated 3 days of night time mid 20's, lastly do you leave drain valves open or shut (black and grey will be closed). Thanks in advance for advice
So I had something similar happen. Got back from a trip. It was April, and we had a major snowstorm. Didn’t want to winterize that late. So I left the LP furnace on at about 55 degrees. If you have your water tank empty you shouldn’t have a problem. Just will need to check it to make sure the furnace is going.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:06 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we have ben doing these for the last few years with ZERO issue or problems

remove sensitive items like water filters and pumps.
blow air through the system, opening one valve at a time.
pour antifreeze in all the traps and toilet.

with no water in the lines, they will not freeze.

Note: the water heater is a bugger to totally empty, be persistent and it will eventually empty out

search this form as there are MANY very detailed document on the steps to do
I have only recently become an airstream owner, so I have only done it once, but I follow this same method (drain/air blow lines clean, no pink in the water pipes but YES pink in the drain traps and grey/black tanks. Also agree the water heater takes some finesse but be sure to follow through. The folks I bought from advised me they had just replaced the water heater because they failed to fully clear it out, and they suffered a freeze/crack failure.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:57 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As noted above, the "big ticket item" on the freeze protection list is the hot water heater. They most certainly *do* freeze and fail. Compared to something like the toilet valve, they are a lot more of a hassle.

With the hot water heater, it will take gallons of nit-freeze to fill it. The stuff also will coat the inside of the heater. It can take a *long* time to flush out the taste.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote