Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2023, 09:26 PM   #1

2021 27' Globetrotter
Prescott , Arizona
Indoor storage

I have parked my 2021 Globetrotter in the garage for the winter. Should I keep it plugged into the 50 amp service continually or leave it unplugged except when I am using it for visiting company?
AJOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJOlsen View Post
I have parked my 2021 Globetrotter in the garage for the winter. Should I keep it plugged into the 50 amp service continually or leave it unplugged except when I am using it for visiting company?
So, I am not all that knowledgeable, but…..

You must keep the batteries alive, so power is required, especially if you have parts running, ie refrigerator or AC/Heat pump. That said, we need a lot more information about what your trailer has (as far as batteries, etc). The good thing about a garage where I live… is it could save you from having to winterize the trailer, where you live your garage could get to 20F and that would be a problem… no clue what your situation is.

So, do you need to run the two AC units in the garage, most likely no. So, a 15 amp service is probably perfect for when you are storing the unit. 50 amp might be necessary depending on the weather in your garage when you have guests. Clearly if they are going to run the heat pump and Microwave the 50 amp service will make you/their life easier.

JC
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJOlsen View Post
I think the 2021’s have a float charger. If they do you can keep plugged in. Otherwise put a battery maintainer on it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I keep ours inside and connected to power continuously. (Our converter is not one of the older units that overcharge the battery.) Been doing it this way now for8 years…but if you have flooded cell batteries…. check the fluid level every other month or so.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 11:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Also just a suggestion. I put a total disconnect switch on my batteries. This way there is no parasitic discharge. This is especially important if for some reason you have to store your trailer without an electric hook up, such as if it is in for repairs.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote