Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
Interesting points about flat spotting in tire technology in 2006 and 2020. If I learn anything from my ‘research’ (aka googling) I’ll update the thread.

I believe my tires are from 2016, but will need to double check (thanks for the how-to link). They are in very good condition as I keep them under cover anytime I’m not driving and meticulously monitor them with TPMS when I am driving. I’d rather not waste perfectly good tires if I don’t have to, but purchasing a new set upon return is definitely an option if push-comes-to-shove.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might be surprised at how old the tires are IMO. It is not unusual for AS tires to have a mfg. date 2 years earlier that the model year. Our 2014 FC had 2012 tires!

If you de-code that tire mfg. date and post it here, the tire experts can advise on replacement. There is also info on that at the Tirerack.com site. Your should check each and every tire, as they may have different mfg. dates.

Safe travels,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:43 AM   #23
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
That paper is from 2006. With today's 2020 tire compounds, is flatspotting as much of an issue? ........
Yes, because the real culprit is the fabric - nylon, polyester rayon, even steel - but especially nylon (that is commonly used in cap plies!)

It's kind of a materials property thing and is incredibly difficult to minimize because you're trying to avoid the laws of physics (in this case chemisrty)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
..... With the storage here being for only 9 months, is the "residual flatspotting" going to be a serious issue?....
9 months is HUGE!!. I've heard of tires flatspotting in 2 months - and by 3 months, they were bad enough that the tires had to be replaced (Note: This was on a car stored in a cold garage over the winter.)

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraed View Post
Interesting points about flat spotting in tire technology in 2006 and 2020. If I learn anything from my ‘research’ (aka googling) I’ll update the thread.

I believe my tires are from 2016, but will need to double check (thanks for the how-to link). They are in very good condition as I keep them under cover anytime I’m not driving and meticulously monitor them with TPMS when I am driving. I’d rather not waste perfectly good tires if I don’t have to, but purchasing a new set upon return is definitely an option if push-comes-to-shove.
I have a lot of experience with storing trailers in the south, with summer heat and high humidity. I use my trailers differently from most other people. One is used 5-6 months in Florida during winter stored all summer. It has been parked for a year at a time in one spot occasionally.
I then use the other trailer for the next 5-6 months traveling. It is stored in NC all winter and also during other seasons when I'm not traveling.
I don't do anything other than winterize and try to limit exposure to moisture.

My advice to you, based on my more than 25 years of being an Airstream owner:
1. Winterize and leave power connected.
2. Forget about jacking the tires up. If they are 2016 tires they are almost at the end of their life, due to be replaced because of age. Plan on replacing them when you return. Air up to max pressure, that's all.
3. If you have a way to dispose of condensate water, use the dehumidifier. Place it in the shower with the door left open. Let it drain through the gray water system leaving the gray dump valve open, Using a garden hose to direct water where it needs to go. Consider the possibility of the hose freezing where exposed.
4. If you are upstate SC, in an area where there might be an extreme freeze remove the battery. If you are in the low country where it rarely freezes, just disconnect the ground and leave it in place.

Stay safe wherever you are going! Thank you for your service!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Put good quality lubricant-liquid in your toilet bowl to prevent your knife-valve seal from drying out.
Disconnect propane and batteries. Jacks under the jacking points to relieve tires. Remove wheels/tires and take them home or place in storage.
I disagree about leaving vents closed. I recommend leaving them open.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Thanks to everyone for suggestions and tips! I just got her into storage and am off on my next adventures for a few months. My husband is going to be able to check on her regularly, so I modified my plan slightly. Here is a list of everything we did to get her ready:

Washed/waxed exterior
Deep cleaned both tanks
Lubricated seals
Added antifreeze in all lines/p-traps
Placed moth balls/Irish spring soap at points where trailer touches ground to discourage mice/bugs from entering
Placed trailer on jack stands (left tires on because it’s stored indoors)
Placed dehumidifier with drain tube inside shower of trailer (probably will rethink this one as it’s draining into gray tank and will need to be emptied)

I left it plugged in since it will be checked on (probably) weekly.

When I get back we’ll upgrade wheels to 16 inches and get new tires as the ones I have will be 6 years old.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9735.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	627.6 KB
ID:	376514
Old 08-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
If your sewer pipe cap does not have a water hose connector, get a cap that does. I found one for less than $10.
Connect a water hose to the cap, then place the end of the hose so that it can drain out of the door., over that little step down threshold lip. Leave the gray tank dump valve open. Put a screen of some kind over the end of the hose to keep critters out.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for suggestions and tips! I just got her into storage and am off on my next adventures for a few months. My husband is going to be able to check on her regularly, so I modified my plan slightly. Here is a list of everything we did to get her ready:

Washed/waxed exterior
Deep cleaned both tanks
Lubricated seals
Added antifreeze in all lines/p-traps
Placed moth balls/Irish spring soap at points where trailer touches ground to discourage mice/bugs from entering
Placed trailer on jack stands (left tires on because it’s stored indoors)
Placed dehumidifier with drain tube inside shower of trailer (probably will rethink this one as it’s draining into gray tank and will need to be emptied)

When I get back we’ll upgrade wheels to 16 inches and get new tires as the ones I have will be 6 years old.

Attachment 376514
Your trailer is probably more prepared for storage that most of them ever are. I think you will be just fine. Thank you for your service.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #30
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
I would rethink leaving the trailer plugged into shore power unless you have upgraded to a quality multi stage converter.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
How to prep trailer for 9 months of storage?

[If your sewer pipe cap does not have a water hose connector, get a cap that does. I found one for less than $10.
Connect a water hose to the cap, then place the end of the hose so that it can drain out of the door., over that little step down threshold lip. Leave the gray tank dump valve open. Put a screen of some kind over the end of the hose to keep critters out.[/QUOTE]

Just ordered the cap! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I would rethink leaving the trailer plugged into shore power unless you have upgraded to a quality multi stage converter.

Yes, good point. I upgraded my converter a while ago to a multi stage Boondocker 1260 HWL.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:26 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Anchorage , AK
If I can jump onto this storage discussion, I somehow did not anticipate COVID. Stored the new to us 2014 FC 23 with the tow vehicle detached in an enclosed garage in Vegas. With only a short time before flying back to Anchorage and planning to return in mid-Jan to early Feb, I didn't take many precautions. Turned off the batteries and the propane tank. Flushed and drained all of the tanks. Mothballs around the tires and around the tow vehicle. Propped open the fridge and the compartments for airflow. As you may know, Vegas gets really hot and dry. Humidity was not one of my concerns.

So at this point, probably returning in October, 10 months later, I expect to replace tires, battery on the tow vehicle [I just turned it off and walked away - more on that later] Even though it's Vegas I will carefully check for snattlerakes having made their home somewhere in the enclosed garage if other rodents did make it inside. Alaskans really freak out about snakes. Any other concerns I should prepare for when I return? TIA

I did try to upload a pic, but this site isn't taking HEIF formats yet. I'll get it done soon.

Peace, Michael
MikeAnkorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I've stored mine in the southern US in conditions that were seriously hot in direct sun. I had a recording thermometer inside that would save the highest and lowest temperature. I've see it 130F+. It had no ill affect other than some accelerated aging of plastics and fabrics.
I think with a little TLC you will be back on the road quickly.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Sunset , Texas
Rodents have about defeated us. Tried many things i.e. electronic, sulfur, etc. The last time the rodents chewed hydraulic, water, and electric.....$6,500. It was a fifth wheel. That is why we went back to Airstream. No slides or other entry points. While the fifth wheel was in the shop I bought $75 worth of moth balls. It looked like an Oklahoma hail storm. I put out 3 game cameras, a live trap, and a deadly one. We saw the pics of a bobtail feral cat, skunk, squirrel, rabbit, and a huge assortment of rats and mice. All were playing in and around the moth balls like they weren’t there. The moth balls DO NOT repel anything.
TexasRVer is offline   Reply With Quote