Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
How to keep from freezing while in storage(Texas)

Greetings, Looking for some help with my 2018 Flying Cloud this winter while in storage. We are in a new metal storage facility with a 20 amp 110 breaker and are plugged into same with shore power. What would be the best way to keep from freezing on those really cold periods? Thinking on just setting the furnace to 45 degrees and using the LPG. Any thoughts.....Thanks
tfp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Running a propane appliance in an enclosed space would be dangerous for carbon monoxide. Why not just winterized and run a battery tender?
Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Winterizing is not difficult and can be done in under an hour or two at most. There are some threads here on how to do it, plus your manual.

The main thing is to remove enough water from your lines so that when any residual water freezes to ice, it does not expand enough to rupture the lines or your faucets, plumbing valves, etc. It is not necessary to fill your entire plumbing with antifreeze, especially being in TX, which is not MN. Take care of the drain traps. If just a bit of water remains in the tanks or water heater, that should be ok. You'll want to bleach and flush before your next use.

You can either remove the battery and bring it home, or put a trickle charger on it.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I’d winterize and then disconnect the battery and or run a tender.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Our space is quite large 40'X10' with a 20' open ceiling. We use the trailer when ever we can so I was looking for a way to not have to winterize all the time.....Thanks all

What about running the heat strip/heat pump?
tfp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfp1953 View Post
Our space is quite large 40'X10' with a 20' open ceiling. We use the trailer when ever we can so I was looking for a way to not have to winterize all the time.....Thanks all

Hi

Some of the stuff you need to worry about is *outside* the trailer. To really be safe, you need to heat the entire storage "shed" to above 32 degrees when it's cold out.

If it gets cold out, the heat pump will shut down. If it's not cold out, it will likely trip the breaker on a 20A circuit if you try to run it. If you are paying the electric bill ... yikes (if it does not trip the breaker) .....

If you want to pull in and out, don't use anti-freeze. Simply do a good blow out of the lines with a high volume compressor.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Greetings, Looking for some help with my 2018 Flying Cloud this winter while in storage. We are in a new metal storage facility with a 20 amp 110 breaker and are plugged into same with shore power. What would be the best way to keep from freezing on those really cold periods? Thinking on just setting the furnace to 45 degrees and using the LPG. Any thoughts.....Thanks
Quote:

There are two issues with running the furnace:
1. Adequate ventilation of the exhaust and a plentiful supply of combustion air is required. Is the building open to the outside, or sealed?
2. Is the building made of non combustible material. If the space is only 10' wide that means there is about 1' between the trailer and the wall. Too close for the furnace exhaust to combustible, and the wall would get stained in any case.

Electric heating, strip, heat pump, or portable will not heat the tanks enough if there is an extended/extreme cold event (low teens or single digits).

If you have full access unlimited access and you have time to winterize on a moment's notice, you could do nothing and keep your eye on the weather. Winterize when needed.

IMO, winterizing the trailer after each winter use is best.
I would use antifreeze, YMMV.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The key issue here is "How cold"? and "How Long"?. Your trailer has modern PEX plumbing. Pex is pretty forgiving regarding freezing, not immune but somewhat flexible. However the Pex fittings and trailer fixtures may not be. Here in New Jersey it gets cold enough to require the full monte to winterize. I blow the lines & fixtures and put antifreeze in the traps. That's it. Doesn't take very long but you gotta do it if you experience extended time and temps below freezing. If only a few overnight hours at your latitude you will likely be OK. It will take a lot to freeze the fresh water tank and if it's partially full or at a lower level it should be OK anyway. You probably will have empty waste tanks so nothing there to worry about.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If I recall correctly, the newer trailers do not have a bypass valve on the water heater (in the strictest sense of the word). They just have a shutoff valve on the cold water inlet to the heater. Thus pumping antifreeze from the pump inlet into the water system will not put any antifreeze into the hot water lines unless you open both the hot and cold at a faucet and then antifreeze will end up in the heater, which is not recommended. Again IIRC, the newer trailer manuals do not mention antifreeze, only blowing the lines out, and say to "close the bypass valve" to winterize and "open bypass valve" for normal use" which is the opposite of the older trailers with a true bypass valve.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
If I recall correctly, the newer trailers do not have a bypass valve on the water heater (in the strictest sense of the word). They just have a shutoff valve on the cold water inlet to the heater. Thus pumping antifreeze from the pump inlet into the water system will not put any antifreeze into the hot water lines unless you open both the hot and cold at a faucet and then antifreeze will end up in the heater, which is not recommended. Again IIRC, the newer trailer manuals do not mention antifreeze, only blowing the lines out, and say to "close the bypass valve" to winterize and "open bypass valve" for normal use" which is the opposite of the older trailers with a true bypass valve.

Al
Hi

It's AS .... who knows what they did on this or that model.

At least on *some* of the modern trailers they still have the full set of bypass valves and the stock instructions are to blow water out of the heater (rather than fill it with anti-freeze).

Bob
Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I am in Houston also and for over 10 years have never winterized my AS. Mine is in enclosed but unheated metal storage building. Typically in winter the shed's inside is about 10 degrees warmer than outside. Since most of our freezes max out at the high 20's for a few overnight hours, that is not enough cold to do anything.

Last year my rig was waiting on repairs at and RV repair shop and the forecast was for low 20's or something like that overnight. They pulled the plug on the HWH (and didn't put it back to my surprise) and that was the only thing they did.

If the forecast were in the high teens with several days of below freezing temperatures (it happened in the 80's and half of Houston had broken water pipes in their house, water pipes down here are in the attic) I would set the furnace for about 45 or 50 and also run my small electric heater. I would wait a couple of days after the temperatures normalize to get in to turn off the furnace, time for fumes to dissipate.

We like to take the trailer out in the winter, particularly when the daily temp is around 60, so we keep it ready to go all winter.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
I would winterize with antifreeze. It only takes 20 minutes and most of that time is waiting for the hot water tank to drain. Gives you a good piece of mind.
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
We also have a 2018 19' FC that is kept in a steel building. Our temps are probably colder than yours but like you we also plan on using the trailer on occasion. In fact we took it out over Thanksgiving weekend. I winterized the trailer and used antifreeze as well. Between now and spring when we use the trailer we take a 2 gallon jug of water for use in the kitchen and a jug of antifreeze for "flushing" the toilet. Then when we are done camping all we have to do is empty the holding tanks, pour a little antifreeze into the sink P traps, and put her back to bed.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Humble , Texas
the South

I full time in the Houston area. It is pretty rare that temps get low enough to cause damage (even out in the wind). I'll disconnect and drain the water if it will freeze for more than an hour. If you are already in a storage building and end up getting a fair amount of freezing weather perhaps you could put an electric heat lamp under your trailer to stave off the real freeze. Draining your hot water heater and lines should really be enough without the extra heat.

Quote:
RosieRides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #15
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
We've stored our Airstream in closed storage in North Houston for 15 years. We've never winterized and never had a problem, even when the weather hit the mid-teens a couple of times.

I've got a temperature monitor inside the rig that shows me the highs and lows, so I know it never got below high-30's inside the trailer.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As mentioned above, there can be issues. One unusual cold snap and the repair bills can be mighty big.

Bob
Old 11-20-2019, 01:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I winterize my trailer by draining everything, blowing out the lines, and pouring antifreeze in my traps. I also have an oil filled heater connected through a temp controlled outlet adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy Heat.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	356560  
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel View Post
We've stored our Airstream in closed storage in North Houston for 15 years. We've never winterized and never had a problem, even when the weather hit the mid-teens a couple of times.

I've got a temperature monitor inside the rig that shows me the highs and lows, so I know it never got below high-30's inside the trailer.
I also live in North Houston, store my AS in an enclosed structure and never winterized nor had a problem. Same results as Tin Diesel reported.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote