Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
how do you cover your A/S?

He he I just realized what the title looks like I'm asking.

Really though, the rainy season is coming and we are missing a window and the back access door, if that's what you call it. We can cover those up, but I'd like to put a cover over the trailer or string a tarp over it so we can still work on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on covers or ideas to keep the rain out? Storage isn't an option. What's worked and what hasn't? Pictures are always good! Is there a brand that we can get?

thanks

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:51 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes

Really though, the rainy season is coming and we are missing a window and the back access door, if that's what you call it. We can cover those up, but I'd like to put a cover over the trailer or string a tarp over it so we can still work on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on covers or ideas to keep the rain out? Storage isn't an option. What's worked and what hasn't? Pictures are always good! Is there a brand that we can get?

thanks
Sheez...the rainy season hasn't let up here Check out stefroberts pictures she has/had a nice temporary cover. It basically looked like a poly tarp over a steel frame. Unfortunately mine just sits out in the middle of the back yard with plastic taped over any open holes. It is either work on the airstream or build a shelter....what a choice.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:04 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Vintage units aside, I've read several times here that you don't want to place a tarp or cover on an Airstream, particularly the newer ones since it can cause damage to the shell coatings. Keep in mind I have no direct exp with this, just passing on what I've read here. It could also apply to the vintage units as well, but I doubt it. Do a search.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I'm having a metal carport installed on my property where the Limited will live, but I've always been kinda intrigued by this product.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi Dave, I use one of the ClearSpan round top buildings for my showroom in Quartzsite and I can vouch for their high quality. The vinyl covering is extra thick giving it durability, the frame is plenty sturdy, and the center skylight is a big plus. It really lights up the interior. The only drawback is the dark green outside color. In Southern climates, it can get plenty hot in the summer sunshine. As for sturdy frame, we had wind/sand storms last year in Quartzsite with winds in excess of 55 mph and our building was steady as a rock with virtually no flapping. Other buildings were disintegrating! The only crimped metal building self distructed. Outside it looked like the pictures of the hurricanes in Florida, only thing it wasn't rain moving horizontal at 50+ mph, it was dirt!

I've found the best price and shipping at: www.farmtek.com

When their website opens, select Shop Online, then go to page 337 to start.

The key to any of the fabric buildings is to anchor them securely!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up looks pretty stout!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Hi Dave, I use one of the ClearSpan round top buildings for my showroom in Quartzsite and I can vouch for their high quality. The vinyl covering is extra thick giving it durability, the frame is plenty sturdy, and the center skylight is a big plus. It really lights up the interior. The only drawback is the dark green outside color. In Southern climates, it can get plenty hot in the summer sunshine. As for sturdy frame, we had wind/sand storms last year in Quartzsite with winds in excess of 55 mph and our building was steady as a rock with virtually no flapping. Other buildings were disintegrating! The only crimped metal building self distructed. Outside it looked like the pictures of the hurricanes in Florida, only thing it wasn't rain moving horizontal at 50+ mph, it was dirt!

I've found the best price and shipping at: www.farmtek.com

When their website opens, select Shop Online, then go to page 337 to start.

The key to any of the fabric buildings is to anchor them securely!
This looks like a beefier version of the CoverIt product. Looks like a good warranty, too. I guess my only question would be what one would do after 15 years and a good 'ol Texas hailstorm?

Old 09-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Sheez...the rainy season hasn't let up here Check out stefroberts pictures she has/had a nice temporary cover. It basically looked like a poly tarp over a steel frame. Unfortunately mine just sits out in the middle of the back yard with plastic taped over any open holes. It is either work on the airstream or build a shelter....what a choice.

Aaron
Yeah our rainy season is actually "sprinkle" season to most of the US. I'll check out her pix.

ingrid
Old 09-27-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
shell coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Vintage units aside, I've read several times here that you don't want to place a tarp or cover on an Airstream, particularly the newer ones since it can cause damage to the shell coatings. Keep in mind I have no direct exp with this, just passing on what I've read here. It could also apply to the vintage units as well, but I doubt it. Do a search.
Mine is a vintage. no shell coating that isn't already going to come off...but it's good to know that. I'll still look into it.

ingrid
Old 09-27-2004, 01:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Bare Back

I have had mine for one year, and my CCD is not covered. I wish I had a building for it though. I too fear that drapeing it with a cover might do more harm than good. My biggest fear is hail!

May mother nature continue to smile on Airstreams.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I made a pole barn from 3 different sources. One is just regular 4x4 treated posts (10 of them). Second is 5-v crimp galvanized roofing in 16 foot lengths, and third is the vinyl covered garages that Sam's Club etc. sell.

This 3rd componet is 1 1/2 inch tubing that forms the framework of the roof. I discarded the vinyl tarp and used the galvanized roofing folded over the top. The tubing is inserted into the 4x4 post in a 3" deep hole drilled in the top and anchored by cross bolts.

It has proved very sturdy in the last 4 hurricanes in the last 6 weeks. None were direct hits, but we got lots of wind in the 40-50 mph range.

Sorry I don't have a digital camera to show it off with (yet)!
PM for better details.

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Vintage units aside, I've read several times here that you don't want to place a tarp or cover on an Airstream, particularly the newer ones since it can cause damage to the shell coatings.
You wouldn't want to just "cover a vintage one with a tarp" either...the movement in the wind, however slight, will scratch the aluminum, especailly if it's polished!

Whatever protective covering you use should be held away from the surface of the trailer and be secured carefully.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi Dave, the ClearSpan fabric buildings probably have about a 5-7 year lifespan on the fabric covering. And, you can order replacement covers thru FarmTek. You may find better prices in the closeout section of FarmTek's catalog. Farmtek has a clearance center called Scroungecentral.com and I picked up my showroom which is 14x24x10 for about $480 plus about $120 freight. As for hail storms, I've been in one in Austin and it was down right scary. Hail the size of softballs was breaking out car windows and going right thru convertible tops.

The affordable protection against against hail damage is one of those metal covered carports you see advertised along the road. That's what I have here in Corpus Christi. I went to one of the dealers got the name of the manufacturer in Victoria, then went to the manufacturer and told him I wanted a longer, taller model. I wound up buying the frame thru the dealer, then purchased metal panels to go on it from a company here in Corpus Christi. I wanted a better quality metal panel, and I wanted a green color and was able to order them at a local steel company. The same panels are regularly available from Mueller Supply or other metal building supply company. For a square tube frame for a 14x22x11 I paid about $650 and the metal wall panels were about $800. The hardest part was handling the long wall panels to get them up. Its been up about 4 years and is holding up well.

Again, anchorage is very important and using plenty of those self-drilling screws when attaching the panels is key to keeping the wind from taking it away.

Enjoy!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
The affordable protection against against hail damage is one of those metal covered carports you see advertised along the road. That's what I have here in Corpus Christi. I went to one of the dealers got the name of the manufacturer in Victoria, then went to the manufacturer and told him I wanted a longer, taller model. I wound up buying the frame thru the dealer, then purchased metal panels to go on it from a company here in Corpus Christi. I wanted a better quality metal panel, and I wanted a green color and was able to order them at a local steel company. The same panels are regularly available from Mueller Supply or other metal building supply company. For a square tube frame for a 14x22x11 I paid about $650 and the metal wall panels were about $800. The hardest part was handling the long wall panels to get them up. Its been up about 4 years and is holding up well.

Again, anchorage is very important and using plenty of those self-drilling screws when attaching the panels is key to keeping the wind from taking it away.

Enjoy!
Yeah, that's basically what I ended up getting. Poured a 20.5x40.5 concrete slab, and got a 20x40 building that a company out of San Antonio is installing for me. It'll be 12' at the apex, which gives me plenty of wiggle room up top. Plus it will be wide enough if I need to open the awnings while it's in there.

It hopefully will be here and installed by Wednesday evening, so I can bring the Limited home from the covered storage I've been renting for it. Otherwise (gasp!) it might have to sit out in the open! Perish the thought!

Old 09-27-2004, 04:50 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

thanks
Ingrid, check out temporary RV covers. They cost from $300.00, and have a vinyl cover, and aluminum frame, usually are around 12ft tall.
Here is the dealer's name/address, & email:
Greene Frogge Shelters
1222 S. 38th St.
Tacoma, WA 98418
Phone (253) 472-3704
Fax (253) 475-1194
froggy@nwrain.com
No price given on their website.
Terry
Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
All of you with your metal, vinyl, whatever shelters for your babies are making me break out in a cold sweat as I gaze outside at Gypsy, exposed to the elements and tree limbs/debris. Do we really love her? Doesn't she deserve a shelter? Questions to ponder. . .relocating sometime this year. . .hoping to find small acreage with metal building. . .what if it hails before then. . .oh, the agony of Airstream ownership!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
temp rv covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Ingrid, check out temporary RV covers. They cost from $300.00, and have a vinyl cover, and aluminum frame, usually are around 12ft tall.
Terry
Thanks all. Are those covers that you put right over the trailer with door zippers, as found on campingworld, ok for the aluminum? I guess I shouldn't scratch it any more than it already is...

I should point out we don't really have "weather" here. The only thing would be a light rain, which are small little drops compared to other states, we only have 10 "hot" days a year, which rarely break 100, and there's no hail, snow, hurricanes, or anything extreme to worry about. I only need something to keep water out. Not even really windy days. I think a cover from camping world would be my best bet....do they scratch?

pf

ingrid
Old 09-27-2004, 06:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thumbs down No...please don't!

Quote:
Are those covers that you put right over the trailer with door zippers, as found on campingworld, ok for the aluminum? I guess I shouldn't scratch it any more than it already is...
If for no other reason, the 'future owner' of your trailer will thank you for NOT using those!

You will also be happy you didn't use one if you decide to polish someday. The Alclad (pure aluminum layer) is thin enough that zippers, seams, edges, etc will wear through it with time. When you or whoever goes to polish it, it will be permanently discolored in areas because the alloy aluminum under the Alclad is a darker color.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 09-28-2004, 12:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
If for no other reason, the 'future owner' of your trailer will thank you for NOT using those!

You will also be happy you didn't use one if you decide to polish someday. The Alclad (pure aluminum layer) is thin enough that zippers, seams, edges, etc will wear through it with time. When you or whoever goes to polish it, it will be permanently discolored in areas because the alloy aluminum under the Alclad is a darker color.

Shari
Well, we're definitely going to polish someday, thank you for saving me a lot of money, hassle and heartbreak.

Maybe we'll just cover up the window and back door real good. The trailer didn't leak otherwise.

What about Saran Wrap?

ingrid
Old 09-28-2004, 07:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
What about Saran Wrap?
For temporary leak control Saran Wrap (or a Hefty Bag) & duct tape are better than nothing! Then you just need to deal with getting the tape residue off...Bestine works really well at that.

Ideally, the best solution is to fix the source of the leaks before the rainy season hits.

Shari

Old 09-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
For temporary leak control Saran Wrap (or a Hefty Bag) & duct tape are better than nothing! Then you just need to deal with getting the tape residue off...Bestine works really well at that.

Ideally, the best solution is to fix the source of the leaks before the rainy season hits.

Shari
he he I was only kidding but then I thought, hmmmmm...

I'm definitely going to tape up the window and door. I can deal with getting residue off.

ingrid