Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
Mark P.

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Richfield , MN
Question How do I attach winterizing kit to water pump?

2018 Flying Cloud FB. I have located and opened the access door to the water pump location. There is a heat duct connected to the door, making it difficult to get to the pump. How do I make it easier to attach my winterization kit (valve)?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

--Mark
photiadesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I was under the impression that most Airstreams have a winterization kit already installed (though in mine and many others, the valve was installed backwards )

If the 25' FC is like the 27' Globetrotter, the water pump is under the closet floor with a bunch of other stuff. Look for a clear tubing (probably just shoved in there)—one end will be unattached (and will go in your antifreeze jug) and the other will lead to the valve.

If you don't already have a winterizing kit installed either the closet floor has to come up or you'll need tiny hands (and perhaps a pex cutter, clamps, and crimper).

My valve was installed backwards and I had to remove, reverse, and reinstall it.

While you are at it, you might want to install a pressure tank. Makes the whole unit much quieter if you can isolate the tank and hoses and gives you enough water to do quick things in the sink even after you've turned the water off.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Your 2018 is probably like my 2012 25FB; there was no winterizing kit. Although you can get to the water pump through the door below the closet, you want access to the pump inlet. That is more easily accessed through the storage space under the sofa bench. Open the long door, clean out your stuff and remove the screws that hold in the back piece of thin wood/masonite. Then you will have clear access to the pump inlet/filter, etc. Connect your winterizing kit there. I leave the intake hose for the antifreeze coiled behind that thin piece of masonite.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
If it's a non-rigid duct connected to the circular wall mounted vent, you can squeeze the non-rigid duct and it will temp deform the pipe at the connection to the vent. IIRC, the barb is on the top of the inside of the plastic vent. As you squeeze behind the plastic vent, you turn the pipe and it should slide off fairly easily.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Mark..... I own a 2007 Safari 25'FB and when I installed the winterization valve I had to remove the Airstream panel in front of it to get access to the pump and install the unit. I then installed a plastic access panel (available at most hardware stores) into the Airstream panel and reinstalled the Airstream panel. When I want to winterize the system I pop the cover off the plastic panel and get access to the valve and hose connection. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100508.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	379750  
Old 09-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Mark, I have a 2006 25FB so I am pretty sure yours is different. When having to access the pump I just unscrewed the heating duct from the flange in the door. Mine is held on with three small screws. Pretty easy actually.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
My 2019 International did not come with one either. I unscrew the strainer fitting by the water pump and attach a winterizing hose to it and into a gallon of RV antifreeze and let the pump run to all fixtures.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
nryn - I wish that factory-installed winterization kits were the norm but it wasn't when I bought my 2019 25'-footer. During my last warranty appointment at Jackson Center (Dec 2019), I had them install one. This was after I had asked my local storage service center to install one. The tech tried but failed - just too cramped in that space for his hands. That the pump is installed on its side didn't help.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Isbrodsky - brilliant! Never thought about accessing it from that side.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote