Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #1
Somewhere between NY & LA

Heat's on...can pipes be frozen?

Good Morning,

This morning the outside temp was 5 degrees, inside my GT was 55.

I have no water in the kitchen or bath.

I opened all the cabinet doors and sofas, to let heat into the more inaccessable areas.

I thought all water lines were inside and if the heat was on they wouldn't freeze.

Any sugestions?

Thanks!

Courtney

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:54 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm not sure of the year when A/S started the practice of ducting the furnace to the water pipes. Did you run your furnace or are you using some other source of heat?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Be cautious. I assume you are operating off the tank and pump, and don't have it hooked up to city water.

1. turn off or disable the pump until the lines are thawed. If the pipes are frozen and break a fitting, when it thaws you will have a major leak. You DON'T want that to happen if the pump is turned on, and you're not there.

2. if you are hooked up to an outside water supply, the first thing to freeze will be the hose from the yard hydrant or hose bib.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the help,

It is a 63 Globetrotter. I have the air pressure system- no water pump.

I was not hooked up to a hose.

How can I thaw it out enough to drain it?

I was thinking about heating up the through-hull fittings carefully with a propane torch. Thats most likely how the cold transfered in.

How about lighting the water heater?

I have to tow it to Michigan tomorrow, so I'd like to get it sorted out today!

Thanks again,

Courtney

1963 Globetrotter
Old 12-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
How about.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek
I have to tow it to Michigan tomorrow, so I'd like to get it sorted out today!
...finding a heated garage or hanger you can rent for the night and in the morning, before you leave, throw some "pink stuff" at all of the liquid tanks/lines/drains......

There is a possibility that the water lines are routed next to the outer skin (with no insulation between the line and the outer skin), allowing the "cold" to conduct to the metal directly through the skin.....be careful on thawing - you could have water all over the place if a line happened to burst!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I always use a hair dryer instead of a propane torch. One little mistake with a torch and you have a funny looking spot in the aluminum.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
...One little mistake with a torch and you have a funny looking spot in the aluminum.
Or in the driveway!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #8

Well I found the problem: the water supply line runs through the fridge vent. Very cold in there.

I got it thawed out with my ceramic heater but it froze again almost immediatly. My second problem is that the drains are frozen, so when I did have it unblocked, I couldn't drain the system. It's COLD here and I'm right on the water.

I'm at Home Depot now. I got 6 feet of electric heat tape, some insulation and some zip ties.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer...

Wish me luck!

1963 Globetrotter
Old 12-21-2004, 05:44 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Courtney... first... went to Tom's website and looked at your GT... it's gorgeous! What a fine trailer!

Regarding your problem, Dennis' suggestion was probably the best... find a heated garage or storage place where you can let the trailer thaw and you can properly winterize it. After it's thawed, thoroughly check every inch of line for splitting. If it has the original copper water lines, you may have some real problems. I had a '61 Bambi that I essentially had to re-plumb because of split pipes because of freezing.

Your lines may or may not be damaged, depending on how thoroughly they froze. Don't forget your shower plumbing either; it's also exposed to freezing, but not visible behind the wall. It appears that your GT has the unducted, gravity space-heater furnace that was typical of that era. It doesn't push warm air to the places you need it, so your tanks and drain plumbing are also at risk.

Good luck, and keep us posted about how you made out!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:48 AM   #10

Thanks for the compliment Roger, and many thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

I put some heat tape on the offending pipe last night and the water was fine this morning. The system seems to be holding pressure without the compressor kicking in, so I'm hoping nothing split (still have my fingers crossed)

I'm at Ace Hardware now looking for a heat gun. After I thaw my drains I'll winterize properly then drive to Michigan!

Thanks again,

Courtney

1963 Globetrotter
Old 12-16-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Prince George , BC
Send a message via Skype™ to kidless
Well, looks like I may have a similar problem. Temps down to 19. Thought all was well with all the closet and kitchen cupboard doors open. I get water in the kitchen sink, but nothing in the bathroom. I have a 1500w heater blowing through the back clothes closet, under the bed (even though it's metal lined - so doesn't get to lines), and radiant heat under the kitchen sink. I'm not cold, but somewhere it must be. Here's hoping nothing's broke.. but it's late and I gotta sleep. Or, should I be out there with a blow dryer.. eek!

Christina
75 Sovereign
kidless is offline   Reply With Quote