Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #301
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Wally-World???

Bob
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #302
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman View Post
I needed one today since we are going out tomorrow. Has anyone changed out the filtration system with something better?

Thanks AS Brethren!
You are probably gone by now, but in ours I believe the filter is only for the small faucet that provides filtered water, so you don't have a big problem. I think when the filter is removed, a valve closes and water cannot leak out when you turn on the small faucet to the right of the regular kitchen faucet.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #303
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
East Tawas , Michigan
Found out the hard way,don't leave wine in the AS when Michigan winter temps drop below zero. If it wasn't for the broken glass I could have had a wine- sicle.
baylito99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #304
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Gene,
Thanks for this. I just capped off the supply for the trip last weekend. Yes, the filtered water is only for the small tap. Having something that shuts off the suppply when the filter is removed makes sense.I will try it in a couple of weeks and report back.

Thanks again!

Ron
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #305
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A Wine-sicle, now that's an idea for a hot summer day. Hmmmmmm need to think on that one.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #306
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Okay, I am sooo confused...

We live in Tulsa, OK and there is some really cold weather coming next week. We had planned on having a service come out to do the first winterization, but after reading my "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" we decided to just do ourselfs...

Now after getting knee deep both here and on the internet on the how to's, I think I might have made a mistake. My questions are:

-do we really need to blow out the lines if we are just going to fill them with antifreeze?
- do I need to put antifreeze in the holding tanks or just drain them?

A little background.. This is our first winter with the AS and I am planning on using it in two weeks for some winter camping, so we will be doing this more than once this year. Our winters are usually fairly mild and does freeze for sustained periods. We have it stored in an enclosed metal building, which it probably will dip down below freezing inside.

Thank you so much..

Vickie
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #307
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickandvicki View Post
- do I need to put antifreeze in the holding tanks or just drain them?
Unless you have a reliable method for draining the holding tanks completely, leaving them bone dry, I'd say best to add antifreeze.

Besides, antifreeze in the holding tanks helps keep the valve seals moist, so you don't come back to leaking seals on your holding tank drain valves come spring.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #308
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Unless you have a reliable method for draining the holding tanks completely, leaving them bone dry, I'd say best to add antifreeze. Besides, antifreeze in the holding tanks helps keep the valve seals moist, so you don't come back to leaking seals on your holding tank drain valves come spring.
Thank you P... So just like a gallon in each tank? Also, we are going to Lowe's and pick up an inexpensive air compressor.. I think we can do this!
Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #309
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I just blew the lines on our AS last week. Overnight I remembered that I had neglected to do the outside faucet and black tank spray system. So I'll have to hook it up again and finish the job. Glad I remembered before it was too late. Also if you have any filters in the lines you should remove them before pumping any anti-freeze solutions. You will probably want to put new ones in anyhow. So, Just a reminder of a few things along the way. In fact I just blow the lines and put anti-freeze in the traps and toilet. I do not pump it throughout the system. I've never had any problems doing that.

Good luck with your job.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #310
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
When blowing out the lines, be sure to control the pressure and remove the water filter. The filter does not do well with air pressure. Dick & Vicki...If you are storing your rig inside, you should not have too many worries. Even if it dips below freezing outside and you blow out the lines, you should be OK. I would still put antifreeze in the traps as a precaution. Oklahoma does not get that cold, right?
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #311
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Blowing out the lines and then running antifreeze through them seems a little like belts and suspenders to me. I've never blown mine out, but I do use three gallons of antifreeze. I'll run it through the pump to every faucet, shower, and toilet. I let it run pink/orange out the faucet for a fairly long time. My thoughts are I'm taking care of the drains and tanks at the same time.. So far, no problems, and it doesn't take but a few minutes. (With two of us doing it.)
Am I missing something? Our AS is under a roof, but its not enclosed. We get some good freezes here in Missouri. (Looking at 18 or 19 here on Monday night.)
Thanks
Jeff
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #312

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Blowing out the lines and then running antifreeze through them seems a little like belts and suspenders to me. I've never blown mine out, but I do use three gallons of antifreeze. I'll run it through the pump to every faucet, shower, and toilet. I let it run pink/orange out the faucet for a fairly long time. My thoughts are I'm taking care of the drains and tanks at the same time.. So far, no problems, and it doesn't take but a few minutes. (With two of us doing it.) Am I missing something? Our AS is under a roof, but its not enclosed. We get some good freezes here in Missouri. (Looking at 18 or 19 here on Monday night.) Thanks Jeff
No doubt if you run enough anti-freeze though, you will displace the water and won't need to blow out the lines first. The reason I blow out the lines first is that it takes less antifreeze. The second reason is that to successfully get rid of the water in the pipes between the hot water bypass valves and the tank itself, you have to push anti-freeze into the water tank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #313
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks everyone.. Okay, we had planned on going out to the AS on Saturday, but had company come over and never made it out, when the RV stores where open. So Sunday we headed out, but when we got there we realized we didn't have everything we needed (and couldn't find it at either lowes or home depot) so we didn't winterize.

My husband leaves town for the week this morning and it's up to me to get this done today. It's dipping down to 25 tonight. Grrrrrrr!!

So I think I'll just go to the RV store and buy one of those kits that has the pump for the anti freeze and pump it into the system (closing off and draining the water heater)..

Is this pretty easy for one person to do? Dang, I'm tempted to just pour a little anti freeze down the traps, but I sure don't want any frozen lines...

Vickie (the aggravated wife!)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #314
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
After all is done you should pour some RV AF down into the traps. In fact that's a MUST. But you will also need to do one of the other routines and either pump AF throughout he plumbing or blow with compressed air. Whichever you choose there's plenty of guidance here on the forum. It's a single person job but easier if you follow a routine just to make sure you cover all the tasks. If your water heater has a by-pass figure out where it is and how to use it. It will save you 5 or 6 gallons of RV AF. If you have any filters you should plan to remove them. You will probably want to replace them next season anyhow but they say the AF will ruin them. Don't forget the outside faucet and black tank spray system ( if so equipped ) and low point drains under the trailer. It's not difficult but its a step by step process.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #315
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
If this link works, I have posted my winterization checklist:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qab521s8nt...hecklists.docx

Note that it is included with my summarization checklist and my standard departure checklist. Who's anal? Please let me know if there's something that you see that I've missed? This is only my second time doing a winterization, but it took less than 30 minutes once I have the right tools in hand to get the job done:

Compressor
Water inlet pressure fitting
3 gallons antifreeze
Silicone hose and adapter for t-valve
Crescent wrench to remove the water heater drain plug
Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #316
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Vickie, if you are going out in 2 weeks, just run the furnace at the lowest setting on the thermostat. Keep it plugged into shore power so you won't run the batteries down. That'll keep everything warm enough for the duration and you'll have more time to learn how to winterize. Make sure you have enough propane.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #317
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I want to thank everyone who posted here to help me. Here's what happened. I went out to the AS to winterize on Sunday. I couldn't unscrew the nut to let the water out of my water heater and looking at the pump I felt overwhelmed. There was another man at the storage so I asked him about it. He said not to worry about winterizing since we are only having a hard freeze for one night, that it is warming up during the day and it's enclosed.

I had thought about leaving the heater on, but didn't feel comfortable doing that.. Anyway, there was only a hard freeze for a few hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. This weekend we'll get this winterizing all figured out, so we won't go through this again!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #318
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
John:

Is the 'diverter valve' the valve that bypasses the water heater?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #319
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Penfield , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfarch View Post
John:

Is the 'diverter valve' the valve that bypasses the water heater?

Yes, generally speaking however I would recommend looking at your AS manual. I had some difficulty locating the "winterizing" valve, even studying the manual. Hope these pics help.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1393161167.124269.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	589.3 KB
ID:	206198Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1393161207.645203.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	206199
DreamsInSlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:17 AM   #320
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
John:
What does the first photo indicate? In the second photo, is the valve the mustard color item that is parallel to the pipe located on the floor? Finally, is the 'Winterized' graphic located on the water heater Styrofoam?
Thanks,

Tags
winterizing