Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
Question Fresh water hose diameter

This probably isn't the right forum for this question but I figured someone here would know the answer.

Fresh water hoses are available in either 1/2" or 5/8" diameter. Does one have an advantage over the other for RV use?
BSalinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Hmmmm, I think mine are 1/2". So is the internal plumbing in the AS, so I don't think a 5/8" would gain you anything.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
I went with 1/2 inch. Lighter, packs smaller and doesn't affect water pressure. I bought this one on amazon. It doesn't kink and I like the green, blends in and doesn't look as messy when everything is hooked up.

Amazon.com: Water Right PSH-025-MG-6PKRS 25-Foot x 1/2-Inch Polyurethane Lead Safe Ultra Light Slim Garden Hose - Olive Green: Patio, Lawn & Garden
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
The 1/2" does make sense. Thanks to both of you for your input.
BSalinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I don't think size makes much difference as the does being the no-taste white hose for drinking water.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Size makes all the difference. Opps. No pun intended. If you group camp and chain more than 2 rigs together off one water source, 5/8 is needed to keep pressure up for everyone. Good example is the Hobo Rally in California. Water source is at the front of the line. 10 or more rigs hook up in a chain for water and electric. Also a couple high flow y connectors are good to have with the tool box in the rig. Depends on the camping style.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On 25' or shorter hoses, 1/2" would work. But as the length of hose increases, so does the internal resistance to the flow of water. A larger diameter allows a larger stream of water to flow away from the inner "friction skin" of the hose.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have both sizes of hose. I can not tell any differance once either one is hooked up. So my opinion is it does not matter which size is used.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have a short 5/8" and a longer 1/2".

In some cases the 5/8" hose will fill the freshwater tank somewhat more quickly, if there is enough flow available at the source.

I notice no difference when using them to connect the city water inlet.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
I bought this one on amazon. It doesn't kink and I like the green, blends in and doesn't look as messy when everything is hooked up.

Amazon.com: Water Right PSH-025-MG-6PKRS 25-Foot x 1/2-Inch Polyurethane Lead Safe Ultra Light Slim Garden Hose - Olive Green: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Don't use green water hose for freshwater service. It may be "lead safe" but it will still leach volatile hydrocarbon compounds from the plastic into the water over time.

White water hose with a blue stripe is colored that way for a reason. That color combination was actually chosen by the American Bureau of Shipping for potable water hoses aboard ships, and is a way to quickly identify that the hose is made from a "food grade" plastic compound that has been tested by ANSI (American National Standards Institute) as being safe to come into contact with food and water meant for human consumption. Green plastic hose, even if it's marketed as "lead safe" is not "food grade" plastic.

So, ditch your green plastic hose, and get a white hose with a blue stripe. And caps for the ends for when you store it; it's only going to stay good for potable water use as long as you never get any dirt inside of it.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What Protagonist said. White only for potable water. I screw the ends of the hose together to keep clean, but do cap the other components of my water system. I also hook up these hoses and components to the outlet spigot on the AS when draining the highly chlorinated water from the fresh tank when doing my spring sanitizing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Green plastic hose, even if it's marketed as "lead safe" is not "food grade" plastic.
Thank you, this is good info but I check on their site before buying. This is what they say:

Polyurethane 100% lead free, contains no phthalates, drinking water safe
Made from FDA & NSF Grade Polyurethane
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
Thank you, this is good info but I check on their site before buying. This is what they say:

Polyurethane 100% lead free, contains no phthalates, drinking water safe
Made from FDA & NSF Grade Polyurethane
Hmmm, strange they wouldn't make it white then. First one I've ever seen for drinking water that isn't.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Green Hose

I also have a green hose that is made for drinking water use (not the same one listed above). It is a heavier duty and higher quality hose than the white ones with blue stripe. The inside is actually white plastic. Been using it for many years.

Maybe it's a Washington State thing... We like our green!!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What about the heavy duty black rubber hoses? I have been using some made by Goodyear around the house and they don't seem to have any taste issues or plastic smell.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Perry, There are still some nasty chemicals that leach out of non-potable approved hoses into the water.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Maybe the white hoses are on the way out?
I have recently purchased an all blue drinking water hose made by Camco. It's a no/kink design and thicker than the average drinking water hose. Might be more difficult to roll up when cold, we'll see.
I don't know if it's better or not but it sure looks special.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Maybe the white hoses are on the way out?
I have recently purchased an all blue drinking water hose made by Camco. It's a no/kink design and thicker than the average drinking water hose. Might be more difficult to roll up when cold, we'll see.
I don't know if it's better or not but it sure looks special.
I have a couple of the blue hoses, and they are good, except for your concern....they are a real PITA to roll up when cold. Stiffer than.....well, you know.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
There is a side benifit of owning the blue hoses.
It's the upper body strength exercise we'll get rolling those things up.

Ya, it took me a long time to think of that one.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
About rolling up hoses, I tried some of the green Flex-AbleHose, like in some of the pop-up adds here, the one that expands with pressure from a small size, and they worked well, no problems, except they gave the water a bad taste. No telling what kind of chemicals they were putting in the water.