Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Somewherein , Pennsylvania
Frame rust protection

During winter months where I live I’m concerned about frame rust because I’ve seen many videos of frame damage in older Airstreams and not much has changed in design.

I have found in my years of dealing with this problem in other vehicles that the only fix that works is to coat the frame with oil! From heavy motor oil (used if you want) to a product called Fluid Film which doesn’t drip like motor oil because it’s made from sheep fur oil.

You can paint it on your steel parts with a brush, spray it on with a cheap sand blaster, or use the sprayer provided in some of the Fluid Film kits. Doesn’t matter how you put it on just get it on there if you expect road salt spray in your area.

I have seen brand new Airstream’s that have gone to RV shows in winter months in Northern climates with frame rust starting already in their first year of life! This oil method stops rust immediately just re-apply as it washes off in about a year or so and those areas will never rot out!
Wheelshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Boxed frame rust damage generally comes from the inside out. You need to treat the inside of the frame.

I use Fluid Film on my vehicles I use on salt treated roads. As far as the AS goes, when salt hits the road, it stays home.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
You would have to remove the belly pan to fully rust proof an airstream frame.

Given the cost of a new airstream I would probably go to great lengths to protect it.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Somewherein , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Boxed frame rust damage generally comes from the inside out. You need to treat the inside of the frame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	air frame.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	385239

I know I can lather up the exposed front A frame pretty good and maybe send a wand in any holes but can I get to the end of this frame hole by removing the rear bumper? (as seen here in somebody elses photo) I will go up there with my spray wand like a gastrologist doing a colonoscopy!
Wheelshed is offline   Reply With Quote