Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Foundation for your Work of Love

For those of us that have restrictions in their neighborhood and cannot have a building for their Work of Love, what kind of footing do you have if you just back her into the back yard? I have an acre and cannot build on it, other than what is here already. Does not state I cannot put down Stone, gravel, wood or whatever to park "Ribbit" on.
Please let me know what you do to keep her off the grass. Pics would be appreciated if you have any.
I'm not sure if I want to go with a square stone foundation, or pea gravel or what. Give me some pro's and cons please
Thanks Al
Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you use quarry blend it will tighten up almost like cement. If you put down any type of previous material I would lay several layers of plastic or tar paper sheet under the stone to prevent moisture from being drawn up by the sun and condensing on the underside of the trailer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
HowieE, I'm not sure what you mean by Quarry blend, and that is a great suggestion to put down a vapor barrier first. Do I need to put a sand base down and if so how thick should it be? My yard is 90% sand now, but maybe just sand for support and to lock in whatever I decide to use.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archersfin View Post
...I'm not sure if I want to go with a square stone foundation, or pea gravel or what. Give me some pro's and cons please.
I was more or less in the same situation - no additional cement could be poured without a permit - and a permit was a 100% guarantee of a reevaluation of the tax base.

Besides a vapor barrier, make sure whatever you put down will not support weeds or other vegetation - even with a good weed barrier there is still growth between the interlocking blocks I chose to use when "widening" the drive.

Several reasons NOT to use any type of gravel - mostly related to working under the unit should you ever have to - also a smooth surface is easy to clean with a pressure washer - and smooth surfaces are not picked up by the kid with the lawnmower and thrown into the trailer - ask around about that one.

If it were me, I would find a contractor who would put down 4' X 4' X 4" cement slabs. Sturdy enough they will not crack, small enough that 3 or 4 people can work them...even if they have to be "individually cast" on site.

Whatever you use, make sure it is at least 4" thick - anthing less will eventually crack - both of the "big box" home centers (the blue one and the orange one) have 4" "Pavers" that will work - the bigger the surface area the better - less cracks and mating areas to contend with.

If your yard truely has a 90% sand base (that's pretty high) consider moving in a "pad" of at least 6" of compacted red fill dirt - lots of clay in it, and compact it with a rental compactor to compress it. The raised "pad" will ensure no moisture stays under the trailer. The term "pad" (I think) is unique to SE Texas - at least I had never heard it used in the way it is here in Houston - a small piece of land used for a business such as a Kwik-E-Mart or similar.

In my opinion a sun and rain shade is much more important in the SE Texas area than a "hard" storage surface - be sure to explore the options available to you to erect some sort of a cover - and work the foundation of the covering structure into your parking construction.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
One more thought -

You may want to approach the "permitting group" whoever that may be - county, munincipality, homeowners association...and petition for a "temporary" sun shelter (aka a carport) - use discretion and a bit of originality with the drawings and the description - accentuate the word "temporary" - they just might issue a permit.

Once the "temporary" structure is up, even if someone in the neighborhood complains (you can be assured SOMEONE will) you could probably drag out the "fight" until a suitable alternative storage solution is found...keep waving the "permit" in any dissenters face.

I'm still trying to get my head around having an acre lot in Conroe and you can't raise a carport over a slab - what's the world coming to...

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile Work of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archersfin View Post
For those of us that have restrictions in their neighborhood and cannot have a building for their Work of Love, what kind of footing do you have if you just back her into the back yard? I have an acre and cannot build on it, other than what is here already. Does not state I cannot put down Stone, gravel, wood or whatever to park "Ribbit" on.
Please let me know what you do to keep her off the grass. Pics would be appreciated if you have any.
I'm not sure if I want to go with a square stone foundation, or pea gravel or what. Give me some pro's and cons please
Thanks Al
I'm sure I'm missing something here, but here goes.

I do most of my "Work of Love " in the privacy of the bedroom.

I'm not sure I've ever "backed her in the backyard" unless the pool counts.

To keep "Her off the grass" I would suggest spreading a nice picnic blanket or comforter, cuts down on grass stains, scraped knees and elbows.

"Stone, gravel, wood, pea gravel ", never tried that, but to each his/her own. Might I recommend a water-bed.

This being a family forum, I'm pretty sure pictures would not be appropriate, but heck, this IS the internet and there are tons of instructional pictures on the "Work of Love" if you know where to look

Best,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
In TN I think the "Quarry Blend" is called "Crusher Run" Most of the rock in this area is from limestone quarries and the rock is crushed, washed and sized. The "crusher run" contains rock from sand size to about 3/4". Once in place and compacted it forms a very hard and smooth surface.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
87MH
If your yard truely has a 90% sand base (that's pretty high)
If you know the Conroe area than you know it is not impossible for the sand base. Mine is about 6' deep before any organic is seen. Much water to get grass to grow.
My deed restrictions state main home and one detached garage with the exception of a dog house. No other buildings either permanent or temporary may be erected. Once I finish the work on the AS I will move it to a lake and leave it. I just need it here to complete the work I have to get it finished.
Thanks for the suggestion of the Paver Stones, that is probably what I will use. I just need something solid enough to get the weight off the axles for the next 6 months.
Al