Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
forgot the low point drain

Blowed out the water lines, pumped anti freeze thru the entire system and later that night remembered that I had not opened the "low point" drain. When I opened it today, all that appeared to drain from it was the pink anti freeze. My question, should I or would you pump more anti freeze thru the system? One point, it did seem to take a little while to get all of the water from the line to the toilet, and the last of it appeared to be dirty? wondered where that might have come from?
Thanks,
R&J
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think you're fine if all that came out was antifreeze. When you did it the first time, did you pump an ample amount out of the faucets. If so, by the time that you saw good pink coming out the faucets, any small amount of water left in the pipes would be mixed and diluted sufficiently by the antifreeze. I don't see what AS you have, but if it is pex pluming, you have even more margin for error.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
If you blow it out, you don't need antifreeze.

Dirt usually comes from the hot water heater, but your Airstream isn't that old.

It takes a long time to blow all the water out. The hot water heater drains into the cold pipes and is blown into the hot pipes. Because of the internal construction of the tank, once there is a big air pocket inside, you don't get a solid stream either direction, so it can take 20-30 minutes to really clean out all the water.

Zep
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It Absolutely, Positively Depends...

1. Did you get an undiluted flow of pink stuff coming out the:
a. Kitchen faucet, cold-side and hot-side?
b. Shower faucet, cold side and hot-side?
c. Bathroom lavatory, cold-side and hot-side?
d. Commode?
2. Did you by-pass and drain the H2O heater before you did all of the above?
3. Did you pour a cup of pink stuff into each drain including the shower drain?
If the answer to all these is yes, you don't need to add more pink stuff. Many (perhaps most) Airstreams don't even have low-point drains.
P.S. Zep is correct (of course), properly blown out lines don't require any pink stuff (except among the very, risk averse).
You still need it in the P-traps under all methods and scenarios.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Blowed out the water lines, pumped anti freeze thru the entire system and later that night remembered that I had not opened the "low point" drain. When I opened it today, all that appeared to drain from it was the pink anti freeze. My question, should I or would you pump more anti freeze thru the system?
Yes. The time to open the low point drains is before you blow out the system, to drain all the water you can. To pump antifreeze through the lines, the drains have to be closed again, or else your antifreeze will run out through the drains.

Antifreeze mixes with water, diluting it but not elevating the antifreeze's freezing point by much. Unless you live in the great frozen north, an antifreeze-and-water mix shouldn't freeze in your water lines.

Quote:
One point, it did seem to take a little while to get all of the water from the line to the toilet, and the last of it appeared to be dirty? wondered where that might have come from?
Can't help much with that one. Figuring it out would be made simpler if the color of the dirt is known; reddish brown might be rust from a valve or fitting; black might be charcoal if you have an activated carbon filter, for example. Another possibility is, if you don't sanitize the tank often enough, you might have experienced a "bloom" of algae or other microorganisms, that were killed by the antifreeze and pushed through the lines. Don't know how likely that last one is; I'm just tossing out ideas.