Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2023, 10:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
for those that use antifreeze, a question

I have always used compressed air to blow the lines out, but have been thinking of starting to use the antifreeze for the ease of use and being able to do it from the road. My question, what do you do about the black tank clean out port? How do you get the pink stuff through that?
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Assuming you emptied the tanks before winterizing there shouldn't be anything to do with the black tank or the valve (at least with our 2023 GT). Otherwise, with ours the owner's manual is pretty complete and has all the details in the Winterization section. It's pretty easy once you get access to the "winterization kit' (they didn't make it easy for us).
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:24 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Plainfield , Indiana
Thank you. However Im not speaking about the dump valve but the clean out valve that you put water through to wash out your tanks.
rfequity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Garden City , New York
Subscribed.
I actually asked Rich Luhr about this and he didnt feel there was enough residual water to cause an issue. I totally trust his knowledge but Ive been scared by videos of people having had it crack on them. ?? We just blew some air in it for a little peace of mind but Ive seen someone use a hand pump to get antifreeze in it. Very curious what others do too!!!

Bearstream01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 02:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfequity1 View Post
Thank you. However Im not speaking about the dump valve but the clean out valve that you put water through to wash out your tanks.
Ah! I get it. I blow that line out. If you can't blow it out, then it wouldn't hurt to pour some down it, but not sure if it will make it all the way since there is a check valve. Maybe a good question for AS technical support, I'd be interested in knowing. It might be that it drains into the tank and there is very little residual water left in it, so not much risk.
Old 12-05-2023, 03:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I live in Canada and in 19 years have never done anything with the black tank flush. It is self draining. Mine has not failed.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 04:52 PM   #7
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I also see no need to put antifreeze in the black tank flush. However, if you feel the need, you could use the hand pump made for winterizing. It has a garden hose fitting on the end.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 06:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I travel with a tire pump. I also have an extra air hose and garden hose adapter that I keep in the trailer. I use them for blowing out the black tank flush, when I winterize away from home.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:40 PM   #9
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
The flush nozzles in my 1994 Excella have been clogged and non-functional since I bought my trailer a few years ago. Don't use them and don't plan to at this point.

But, I have tried to use them over the years, and I have tried replacing various components like the check valve hoping to solve the problem without pulling the nozzles.

In all the efforts to get them working, including more than a few time connecting a water hose and letting it sit for an hour or so, I've never had a drop of water leak from anywhere. My hunch is that in spite of not being able to pump a single drop of water into the flush system and not being able to blow air through it there still isn't enough residual water to cause damage over the winter. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Not sure if this helps you relax about the situation, but it did help me stop trying to do anything with the flush system when winterizing.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:20 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You can (as noted) get 12V powered compressors. They are not super duper CFM wise. They will let you do a basic blow out of the lines while on the road. Time wise, it might add 10 or 20 minutes.

More than black tank valve, the hot water heater is an issue in a "just antifreeze" approach. The typical instructions are to blow out the tank on the hot water heater and then fiddle the valves to isolate it. After that, you put in the anti-freeze. If you don't do it this way, you use a *lot* more anti-freeze. You also spend way more time flushing when you de-winterize.

The compressor can also help with the de-winterize process. If you blow out the excess anti-freeze once you are done, there is far less to deal with later on. It's not what everybody does, but it has its advantages.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have never had an issue/problem with the black water flush valve. I believe its self draining, into the black tank, right? For winterization, I just drain my freshwater tank, then I use my compressor to blow out all the lines, including the hot water tank. While under pressure, I do open each faucet inside also one at a time with 25psi. I then put a cup or so of antifreeze in the shower drain, the kitchen sink drain, and the bathroom drain, for the p-traps. Don't do anything to the black tank nor the gray tank, other than empty. I also do leave all the faucets "open", including shower. No issues.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:51 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Sandy , Utah
Give toilet a flush then add more to the bowl afterwards. It will put some in the black tank. I did that last year with no ill effect.
Rosey Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 02:16 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
2 Gallon Garden Sprayer

I use a standard 2 gallon garden sprayer with the spray nozzle removed and replaced with an air chuck to match the blowout adapter.
After blowing out with air, then use the hand sprayer to pump a gallon or two through the water lines and the Black tank Flush.
And never worry about if the blowout left small amounts of water pooling in the low spots of the piping.
Of course this is not for any that refuse to put antifreeze into the plumbing pipes.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 05:49 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
I live in Canada and in 19 years have never done anything with the black tank flush. It is self draining. Mine has not failed.
Virginia here. second that.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
The flush nozzles in my 1994 Excella have been clogged and non-functional since I bought my trailer a few years ago. Don't use them and don't plan to at this point.

But, I have tried to use them over the years, and I have tried replacing various components like the check valve hoping to solve the problem without pulling the nozzles.

In all the efforts to get them working, including more than a few time connecting a water hose and letting it sit for an hour or so, I've never had a drop of water leak from anywhere. My hunch is that in spite of not being able to pump a single drop of water into the flush system and not being able to blow air through it there still isn't enough residual water to cause damage over the winter. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Not sure if this helps you relax about the situation, but it did help me stop trying to do anything with the flush system when winterizing.
Richard, I suspect you have the same problem I had…. an insect has built a nest in that flush-system. Mine would not flow either and when I disassembled the wardrobe I found the nicest “cigar” of rolled-up leaves some bug had installed in the backflow-preventer and the adjacent PEX. I cut the Pex, removed the backflow preventer and spliced the pex back together with a sharkbite fitting. It’s worked perfectly ever since (about 6 years now.)

WHY…is there a backflow preventer in that system..?? It’s the Nat’l Plumbing Code for any black or sewer system connected to public water…. just like the outdoor faucets in modern-constructed homes.

These valves are intended to prevent house-water/black-water from backflowing into the public water supply in the event a hose is connected but not pressurized.

Since I never intend to leave an unpressurized hose connected to my black-tank flush system, and the hose I use has a shut-off valve AT the AS fitting..so nothing can enter the constantly-pressurized hose before I shut that valve …..I will not be hazarding any of you guys when I flush my non-backflow-preventer-equipped black tank.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:21 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Just reviewed the manual for my FC. Nothing is mentioned about the black tank flush in the winterization procedure. We have never done anything with it, during winterization, and have not had any problems.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 08:17 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Richard, I suspect you have the same problem I had…. an insect has built a nest in that flush-system. Mine would not flow either and when I disassembled the wardrobe I found the nicest “cigar” of rolled-up leaves some bug had installed in the backflow-preventer and the adjacent PEX. I cut the Pex, removed the backflow preventer and spliced the pex back together with a sharkbite fitting. It’s worked perfectly ever since (about 6 years now.)

WHY…is there a backflow preventer in that system..?? It’s the Nat’l Plumbing Code for any black or sewer system connected to public water…. just like the outdoor faucets in modern-constructed homes.

These valves are intended to prevent house-water/black-water from backflowing into the public water supply in the event a hose is connected but not pressurized.

Since I never intend to leave an unpressurized hose connected to my black-tank flush system, and the hose I use has a shut-off valve AT the AS fitting..so nothing can enter the constantly-pressurized hose before I shut that valve …..I will not be hazarding any of you guys when I flush my non-backflow-preventer-equipped black tank.
Hi

There is a bit of confusion here isn't there

On your black tank there likely is a spray arm inside. You hook up a hose to the correct input on the trailer and water heads to that spray arm. It rinses out the black tank as part of the normal flush procedure. On most trailers there is a back flow preventer in-between the fresh water input and the flush arm.

The debate (in many threads) is: do you have to winterize that device? One theory is that it will indeed drain after each use / there is no need to flush it. This all gets complicated if the "spray" side is plugged up ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
This got me to thinking about the city water intake. I blew this out (but forgot it until after I did the antifreeze and blew out some of this as well). If all there is is antifreeze, I'd think this is a bigger concern since it's not going to drain on its own.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I blow out the blackwater flush, never put any pink stuff down there, never had a problem.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 Ruby
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:34 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fayetteville , Arizona
I didn’t see the year of your AS. If you have a newer model with the on-demand hot water heater you MUST run the potable water antifreeze through both the hot and cold side of your faucets to make sure the the pink stuff goes thru your water heater. Make sure you turn LP gas off and turn the power switch off to your OD hot water heater. That switch is visible from the outside when you open the door to your hot water heater. Apparently blowing it out with air will not get all of your water out and if it freezes it, will damage your hot water heater..