Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Hi all! Anyone aware of hearing or first hand knowledge of frozen pipes while using RV Antifreeze?
My 67 Safari had antifreeze in the copper pipes, froze and pulled apart. That's why I blow it back out if used.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Perhaps you used the wrong pink stuff....lol

My bowl holds the pink stuff all winter with no leakage.

Don't know, but it leaked nearly the entire time we were in Florida. It stopped just before we returned home. That was 2015 and I saw in the forum that it was the pink stuff that caused the problem and to use the Oatey silicone. I haven't had any problems since then.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Do you leave antifreeze in all winter or drain it?

Quote:
I suppose the ethanol based antifreeze may dry out rubber seals, but I don't believe the propylene glycol based stuff will.....Never has mine, anyway.

I would never use ethanol based antifreeze in our Airstream water system.Maybe you don’t believe but it’s happens to be true.Look at Airstream forum ,its a well known fact.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Perhaps you used the wrong pink stuff....lol

My bowl holds the pink stuff all winter with no leakage.

It will
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #45
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I would never use ethanol based antifreeze in our Airstream water system.Maybe you don’t believe but it’s happens to be true.Look at Airstream forum ,its a well known fact.

I never said I use the ethanol based stuff....I said I said I didnt believe the propylene glycol based stuff dried out seals and that it never had mine.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I would also caution that you need to watch out for the blended stuff. It can be difficult to figure out what you are looking at. The bottles are not labeled clearly to tell you what it is. That is why I look at the brand in the store then run home to my friend the internet to search out what it is. Then I make my purchase decision.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #47
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
This is what I use since my Walmart quit carrying Prestone. It's about 2 bucks a gallon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191010_203908.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	354009  
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
This is what I use since my Walmart quit carrying Prestone. It's about 2 bucks a gallon.
I've bought from Walmart, Lowes and a local RV place. The gallon jug I have says the same thing, listing water and Propylene Glycol as the first 2 ingredients. I hadn't noticed the GRAS on the label. (Generally Regarded As Safe ) The guy at Lowes told me to stock up in February when they're almost giving it away because summer was coming.

What I have now is made by Zecol in Medina, MN, but I have to buy some to winterize. No telling what they carry now.
Home Depot - South/Win $5.48
Lowes - Zecol Freezproof $4.98 (what I'm already using)
Walmart - Super Tech $2.58 and RV Plus Extreme $10.18 (both protect to -50 and have the same ingredients, don't know the difference.)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
I leave it in. But we don't drink the tap water.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
T , Ontario
Leave it in

I run the plumbing anti-freeze through the system by way of the Camco kit on the water pump, a hand pump for the black tank rinse port outside, then crack open the water heater bypass valve for a second, just to get a spoonful or so there, and then crawl underneath the trailer to open the line drain valves for a second or two just to relieve pressure.
drobert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #51
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
It doesn’t serve any useful purpose staying in the lines. In fact if it gets cold enough it turns to slush and can expand in the fixtures. I drain and blow out the antifreeze in the pipes and put it down the drains and into the toilet.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I did a little research on this. One "expert" said using antifreeze in cold climates will keep the seals lubricated. Not necessary to prevent pipes from freezing if blown out properly. He also said it was good to pour antfrieeze down the grey and black water tanks (about quart) to also keep those seals lubricated.

this year I blew my system out well. Then put in antifreeze with the camco valve. I've used antifreeze since I've had it and never had problems. I may however pour some vodka alcohol down into the fresh water tank just to prevent any ice build up. Not going to put antifreeze in fresh water tank. I did that last year. Total pain to clean it out.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I may however pour some vodka alcohol down into the fresh water tank just to prevent any ice build up. Not going to put antifreeze in fresh water tank. I did that last year. Total pain to clean it out.
Agreed, putting antifreeze in the fresh tank is not a good thing to do. If you do put vodka in the tank let me know when you are ready to flush it out in the Spring and I will be over with a glass full of ice

Seriously, if you have drained your fresh tank there is no need to put anything in there to prevent what may be left from freezing. Unless the tank is near full, no harm is going to come from a small amount of water freezing inside the tank. The damage occurs when the freezing water expands and has no where to go. In a mostly empty tank there is lots of room for it to expand.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #54
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
Marter,
Have you considered joining the Nebraska Airstream Club. My wife and I also live in Lincoln. We have at least five families, members of Nebraska Airstream Club, living here in Lincoln. Call me if interested. 402-570-6829. Larry
MissingLink5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #55
Air Al

2010 25' FB International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to alreed
I live in NM, so it doesn't get horribly cold generally. I just blow out the lines with the air compressor, but I let the compressor run for 1/2 hour, so I think I get most of the water out. Then I just use the anti-freeze for the traps.
alreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake George , Colorado
My understanding is that the RV antifreeze does freeze but doesn't expand. It kept my lines protected in our Sub-Zero winter's for years.
2MileHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

So what *will* ruin your day when winterizing? (actually ruin it next spring).

Having water left in the hot water heater is probably at the top of the list. They do indeed freeze up. If you have a few days that don't ever get above 30 degrees in the sun .... that's enough to do it. Read up carefully on just what your specific model needs to have done.

Forgetting about the outside shower hose or outside shower faucets.

Leaving the battery hooked up, having the parasitic loads drain it flat and having it freeze. Extra bonus points if it cracks the battery box when it swells up from freezing.

Not *quite* getting everything out of the fridge or freezer ....

Not shutting off the propane tanks and having the trailer go up in a giant explosion ...

(yes this could go on and on)

The point being that the checklist does start with things like anti-freeze, but there are indeed other issues as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote