Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Disappearing Antifreeze when winterizing

2 gallons of antifreeze disappeared in no time, barely got done with antifreeze in kitchen and shower!?
I have an RV winterizing kit installed (https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pump-Converter-Winterizing/dp/B0006JJ588/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509908814&sr=8-3&keywords=camco+winterizing+rv+kit) and the last 2 years I used just under 2 gallons of antifreeze to run through the shower, bathroom sink, toilet, kitchen sink and outside shower.
After blowing out the lines, hot water heater, tank, etc., like I did last year, I hooked up the antifreeze to the winterizing kit, and before I could finish getting antifreeze through the kitchen faucet and shower, I had used up 2 gallons?!
What am I doing wrong?
Do I have my hot water bypass in the wrong position?
How can I tell?
It is under my dinette seat, and I have to get down on my stomach to remove the panel and reach underneath, it is barely accessible (I do hate how inaccessible many plumbing things are in these airsteams!).
Any help would be appreciated. Now I have to run out and get a couple more gallons of antifreeze.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
Launce

2012 16' Sport
Greenbelt , Maryland
Disappearing AF

When I did that, it was because I forgot to close the bottom drain. But I'm sure you did that.
Launce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launce View Post
When I did that, it was because I forgot to close the bottom drain. But I'm sure you did that.
Yes, I closed it, but will go and check again. I hate doing this in the rain as well. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launce View Post
I thought the winterizing kit, bypassed the tank, so nothing should be going into the freshwater tank anyway?
Old 11-05-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Last year I forgot to close the outside shower faucets. I went through nearly a gallon before I figured it out.

Open the drain on your water heater. If pink stuff comes out, you aren't in bypass mode.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
. . .
Open the drain on your water heater. If pink stuff comes out, you aren't in bypass mode.
Full scale models work great!

Better yet forget the AF altogether and winterize by opening all low point drains, followed by the compressed air method.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Yup, that was it. Figured it out after having to go back out and buy another couple gallons of RV antifreeze. Fortunately, Wally World is only 15 minutes away. I was so busy opening and closing other valves to drain the tanks and water heater, I forgot about the how water bypass valve.
Drained almost 2 gallons of pink stuff from the water heater. If I flush it well in the spring,
I assume that no harm was done to the how water heater.
Can anyone confirm this?
THANKS.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Opinions differ apparently:

https://www.google.com/search?q=anti...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
There should be no damage to the water heat. Drain it well. In the spring, flush the water heater and sanitize as normal. I️ splash a little in every year to get antifreeze past the the bypass valves.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Your initial post indicates that you used compressed air to initially blow out the water lines.

You should consider blowing out the antifreeze now rather than wait until spring. Less water needed to flush. Also consider siphoning out the excess antifreeze from the hot water tank, again, to reduce the amount of water needed to flush in the spring.

Capture the flushed antifreeze and use it in your traps.

Pipes and fittings that had antifreeze flow through them but are now purged will not be damaged in cold weather (as long as no new water has been introduced).

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
Yup, that was it. Figured it out after having to go back out and buy another couple gallons of RV antifreeze. Fortunately, Wally World is only 15 minutes away. I was so busy opening and closing other valves to drain the tanks and water heater, I forgot about the how water bypass valve.
Drained almost 2 gallons of pink stuff from the water heater. If I flush it well in the spring,
I assume that no harm was done to the how water heater.
Can anyone confirm this?
THANKS.
I got confused on the valve positions too so I copied the section in the owners manual that showed what they were supposed to be. I printed that off and laminated it, then zip tied it to one of the pipes. Now, I just look through the hole (ours is under the mattress) check the laminated card and set my valves accordingly; no guessing.

Before you turn on the WH in the spring, I would fill and drain it several times to get the AF out of it. I don't think you've hurt anything, but time will tell.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
I got confused on the valve positions too so I copied the section in the owners manual that showed what they were supposed to be. I printed that off and laminated it, then zip tied it to one of the pipes. Now, I just look through the hole (ours is under the mattress) check the laminated card and set my valves accordingly; no guessing.

Before you turn on the WH in the spring, I would fill and drain it several times to get the AF out of it. I don't think you've hurt anything, but time will tell.
A handy reference like that is a great idea!

Thanks to all that responded. I did flush the water heater before winterizing properly this time. Will wait until spring and flush thoroughly again and then check for any long term effects.