Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Dilemma!

Hey all. My AS is about to go through its second winter.

First one was indoors. Found a great, really well managed place. However, late August, they informed us their warehouses had been sold. Took forever to get clarity from the new owners. Signed with them nonetheless as I couldn't find anything else, thanks to the pandemic keeping snowbirds from traveling south.

Showed up this morning at my scheduled appointment. The receptionist told me to leave my AS outside and that they'd bring it in as a lift was in the way. Said I'd prefer to back it in myself, like last year.

To make a load story short, they still have cars to stack on massive steel framing on either side of the warehouse. They asked me to come back Thursday if I'm uncomfortable letting them store it. I asked if they could guarantee that once in, it wouldn't get moved should they need to as they seem a tad disorganized. They weren't sure and said they'd get back to me...

My trust in the place is now shaken. So, what is worse?

1) Keep the AS at my outdoors storage place (it's winterized) and let it face our cold and snowy Canadian winter. ;-)

OR

2) Shelter it indoors but in a place with new management that still seems to be getting their sea legs.

Vote!

Thanks all.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Or three, take the money you were going to pay for storage and put it toward buying one of those arched coverings to shield your trailer from some of the elements. It would be cold but protected.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
Or three, take the money you were going to pay for storage and put it toward buying one of those arched coverings to shield your trailer from some of the elements. It would be cold but protected.
Goo idea but not an option for me, unfortunately. I live in the city and there is no room to park the trailer on my property. I keep it at an outdoors storage place. They won't allow any kind of structure to be put in.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'd store it inside at the new place if I were comfortable with their, and my, insurance.

Some times I just flat out tell people who are working, camping, playing ball, or throwing frisbee, etc, around my airstream, how much an aluminum panel can cost to replace, emphasizing that there is no body work that can fix it once damaged, replacement being the only option.

If not satisfied with the insurance coverage of the storage facility, I'd park it, cover the tires, remove the batteries, and let it snow.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
I'd store it inside at the new place if I were comfortable with their, and my, insurance.

Some times I just flat out tell people who are working, camping, playing ball, or throwing frisbee, etc, around my airstream, how much an aluminum panel can cost to replace, emphasizing that there is no body work that can fix it once damaged, replacement being the only option.

If not satisfied with the insurance coverage of the storage facility, I'd park it, cover the tires, remove the batteries, and let it snow.
Even with insurance, the fact they seem so disorganized gives me the impression there is a higher risk of an incident. And sure, I could get them to pay if something happened. But do I want the trouble and potential loss of precious summer camping weekends? Previous management was top-notch. Had no worry and wouldn’t be a concern if they were still around. These guys, first impressions are not reassuring. That’s what I’m weighing. Is the wear and tear outside better then worrying all winter that they may mess it up somehow.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Insure it, store it and forget it. Life is too short to worry about things you can’t control. If it is damaged have it repaired or use it damaged. You can’t control all the variables. Who knows - you could take it out of storage on your first trip out in the Spring and it gets damaged. Life is full of unknowns - best to worry about the ones you can control. It is not a museum piece.
IdahoTrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
Tough question, no place is perfect. Maybe hectic day at storage place, so perhaps drop by again, maybe get different feel. Inside better than outside of course, so take good pictures of each panel, check storage insurance, check your own, and if store, drop by to see frequently until you feel comfortable. Be safe. Mitch Deep
Old 11-16-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Ok, take the money you would pay for storage , buy a small farm, and park in your new barn.
Seriously , since they just bought the business, maybe everything is new to them. Maybe store it with the understanding that nobody moves it but you. And to remind them, put a good hitch and wheel lock combo on your trailer. Finally, maybe pylons to help others not run into you.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb75 View Post
Ok, take the money you would pay for storage , buy a small farm, and park in your new barn.
I'm on it. Browsing the classifieds right now. And got $1200 from the storage as down payment. I'm in business. ;-)

Seriously, thanks all for the POVs. Have spoken to them again. Am awaiting confirmation that the trailer won't get moved and that I can lock the coupler. Also specified I won't leave keys (some places ask for them). They are talking to the boss and will get back to me. If their answer is negative on any of these, Bambi will stay outside.

Will update the thread when they reply.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
steilkurve, where ever you end up storing the trailer, consider installing a tracker of sorts. It seems that theft of trailers can happen in storage facilities.

There are GPS units and also those little tags that can work as well, I think Apple is making one too.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
steilkurve, where ever you end up storing the trailer, consider installing a tracker of sorts. It seems that theft of trailers can happen in storage facilities.

There are GPS units and also those little tags that can work as well, I think Apple is making one too.
I wonder if putting a decal on AS window to inform possible thieves that there is a tracker well-hidden inside, would defer thefts?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
steilkurve, where ever you end up storing the trailer, consider installing a tracker of sorts.
Yep, already got a tracking system on it.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
I wonder if putting a decal on AS window to inform possible thieves that there is a tracker well-hidden inside, would defer thefts?
Yeah, the tracking system I have includes stickers around the trailer.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Yep, already got a tracking system on it.
What system did you get? I am looking for on as well that works.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
What system did you get? I am looking for on as well that works.
It's dealer-installed. GPS tracking system installed in cars. Called 'Tag'. They're available in QC and ON. Not sure about the West Coast.

http://tagtracking.ca
Old 11-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I say keep it indoors. Parking it outside in a storage lot does not assure it won't get hit or otherwise damaged. Last summer, after 9 years in the same lot my "neighbor" creased one of the rock guards. It wasn't bad and I was able to get almost all of it out. If this is the worst in all that time, I am good.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Well, thanks everyone for your votes! Ended up deciding to give the new management a shot and went indoors again this year. Your words of wisdom helped...

Figured outside getting beat up by our bitter cold for weeks (plus wind and episodes of freezin rain) and receiving large amounts of snow from the sky, the neighbouring RVers clearing their rig’s roof or the lot’s snow plows pushing the white stuff my way was worse than the risk it gets hit stored inside. Plus it, won’t mess up my freshly applied wax. ;-)

Dropped it off today. Owner himself helped me in, as it’s a tight fit. Last in on this side of the place and first out. I like that. See photos. All this to say they ended up being helpful and accommodating, albeit more relaxed than I am about it all.

I still have to deal with parting from my baby for a few months. I’m of a controlling and worrying nature. ;-) But I’ll keep repeating to myself @IdahoTrvlr wise words ‘it’s not a museum piece’!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBB567D3-E98A-4ECF-A6DC-4A87A9770997.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	383536   Click image for larger version

Name:	23CB3A06-EAC1-457D-8BBA-989914F524C6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	383537  

Old 11-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:

any update on Apple GPS tracker?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Old 11-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post
Well, thanks everyone for your votes! Ended up deciding to give the new management a shot and went indoors again this year. Your words of wisdom helped...

Figured outside getting beat up by our bitter cold for weeks (plus wind and episodes of freezin rain) and receiving large amounts of snow from the sky, the neighbouring RVers clearing their rig’s roof or the lot’s snow plows pushing the white stuff my way was worse than the risk it gets hit stored inside. Plus it, won’t mess up my freshly applied wax. ;-)

Dropped it off today. Owner himself helped me in, as it’s a tight fit. Last in on this side of the place and first out. I like that. See photos. All this to say they ended up being helpful and accommodating, albeit more relaxed than I am about it all.

I still have to deal with parting from my baby for a few months. I’m of a controlling and worrying nature. ;-) But I’ll keep repeating to myself @IdahoTrvlr wise words ‘it’s not a museum piece’!
good thing you parked on that side, you could get inside your AS anytime.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB