Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
De-Winterizing in Deep Freeze

OK, it's not generally the plan, but we've winterized and de-winterized twice so far this winter, and I'm getting it down to a pretty smooth routine. I'll just share this for the folk who wonder about the practicalities of winter camping.

I first winterized in October (it freezes early at 7400' in CO), and then we decided on a Thanksgiving trip from CO-WA. (previous posts). I don't use RV antifreeze in the potable water system, preferring to keep it chemical-free, I just use it in the drains and waste tanks. I do a good blow-out with air for the rest of the system.

We began this January trip from CO-AL on the 5th, picking up the trailer in Albuquerque from our dealer where we had left it for a couple of warranty repairs. It had been in the single digits for several nights in ABQ, and the dealers exterior spigots were all frozen, so I couldn't de-winterize the systems there. I turned on the furnace to thaw out the unit as we made the short tow to American RV Park (fine facility). Even there, we had to shift sites to find an unfrozen water spigot. With temp in the mid-20's and dropping, I tested the system with the city water connection, and we were leak-free. I then filled the potable tank. Switched on the water pump - nada. OK, I thought, maybe there's a bit of ice left in the pump impeller. I put our small electric heater in the plumbing space to blow on the pump, and sure enough it came to life after 15 minutes. No leaks - great. We were fully functional as the temp headed toward an overnight low of 9º.

The unit was perfectly warm and comfortable through our coldest night thus far (we've camped in the teens many times). I use the furnace rather than the heat pump as it warms the plumbing areas, and I don't leave the hoses connected overnight. I did have to use a tea kettle of hot water to thaw open the sewer cap and water spigot the next morning, but no real problems.

So, the Airstream has passed another test for our all-season adventures. She also survived our visit to the ABQ RV Show where the big motorhomes didn't tempt us in the least. Onwards towards Alabama!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I too had to winterize three times this winter before we finally towed the Airstream down here to our winter haven in Mesa, AZ.
Many thanks to this forum for suggesting the use of cheap vodka instead of RV antifreeze.
For those who missed the post, I purchased two large bottles (1.75 liters each) of cheap vodka and added a little red food dye.
Then after draining and by-passing the H2O heater and blowing out the lines with compressed air, I pumped vodka into the hot and cold H2O supply lines.
This way we didn't have to deal with the lingering taste of anti-freeze!
I still use RV anti-freeze in the p-traps and shower drain.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I dunno. The lingering taste of Popov could be just as bad.